Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1421 - 1430 of 1430 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
First time I've heard anybody wish the RL tailgate was like the one on another truck. I can't even remember the last time I dropped mine as opposed to swinging it open

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
First time I've heard anybody wish the RL tailgate was like the one on another truck. I can't even remember the last time I dropped mine as opposed to swinging it open
Maybe I'm just biased toward the RL, but I have a truck (my second one) with a locking trunk and a 2-way tailgate, and personally care zero percent that it's not dampened. Other trucks should probably try to emulate mine. BTW I have a new, fancy, expensive bathroom vanity with dampened drawer closing, and that doesn't help me any either (but don't tell my wife I said that :)).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Never have understood the damped tailgate thing. Big burly truck guys make fun our our Ridgelines...but they want a damped tailgate? What? They can't use their arms as dampers and lower it down slowly like we did for 100 years?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Only time I've wanted a dampened tailgate is when both my hands are full and I only can use a finger to move the handle...but now I can use that finger to open the tailgate from the side instead, so I really don't need it except in super specific instances.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Only time I've wanted a dampened tailgate is when both my hands are full and I only can use a finger to move the handle...but now I can use that finger to open the tailgate from the side instead, so I really don't need it except in super specific instances.
I guess I don't know what I'm missing. The Ridgeline is my fourth truck (F-150, GMC Sonoma, F-150, now Ridgeline) and none of them had a damped tailgate. It might be the greatest thing in the world and I've never experienced it. LOL!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've never gotten to own a truck with one either. I only know from the one time we made a trip to the local Sam's Club, and when I came back loaded down with bags I asked him if it was unlocked; he said "yeah just tug and let go" so I did and it lowered itself quickly and gently. Very grateful for that one time, it's definitely a change from my first Chevy Silverado I had, which was so old you not only had to hold the tailgate coming down, but going up you'd be playing with the handle to close it properly lol.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Now there are trucks with ELECTRIC tailgates. Hit a button and they open. No...just no. For goodness sake, stop making things more complicated than required for the purposes of marketing. Sheesh!

I have seen some cars that have electric doors that open and close automatically. I guess as I age and gain further technology experience from my 30+ years in the industry, I have learned that simple is ALWAYS better than complex in the long run. The fewer the parts, the better something typically works.

·
Registered
28 Posts
OK. I'll admit I didn't read 1,427 previous posts so pardon me if this is redundant.
I really don't like the engine shut off when I am stopped at a red light. Ok it restarts when I take my foot off the break, but isn't that a lot of wear on the starter motor?
Also, and this is just me mind you, after 30 years of drag racing I freak out when my motor shuts off waiting for the green!😁

Yeah I know there is a shut off button but I would like it shut off as a feature not every time I get in the truck.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
113 Posts
Yeah I know there is a shut off button but I would like it shut off as a feature not every time I get in the truck.
All manufacturers state that the starter motors and batteries are specifically designed for the increased start/stop cycles inherent in auto start/stop. Like you, I dislike it as well, but now am used to pressing one more button on the shift console to disable it, it's second nature to me and I've only had my RTL-E for 2.5 weeks.

Look at it this way: at least you don't have to dive deep into a menu system to disable it like some manufacturers make you do. Be glad it's only one hard button.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
113 Posts
The fewer the parts, the better something typically works.
This is why I don't mind the single hood support. I had hydraulic ones in my Acura, and were replaced twice in 60K because cold weather eventually affected their ability to keep the hood propped up. Here, simple is better.

1421 - 1430 of 1430 Posts