Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new owner of a 2017 RL RTL-E. I just picked it up yesterday. I took some joyrides yesterday and am pleased overall with my purchase. The only thing that concerns me is the A/C. Because I live in south Florida, A/C is very important, especially the ability of the unit to produce very cold air. Perhaps I need to spend more time inside the truck, but my initial impression is that the A/C does not seem to perform as well as my 2007 Buick Lacrosse. Read: not as cold and not cold enough. The Buick's A/C is able to produce a level of "coldness" that can rival a reefer. Perhaps that's an exaggeration but I can turn it so low that it's too cold.

I would appreciate the comments and experiences of other owners regarding their impressions of the A/C performance of the RL G2. I was actually thinking of buying a cheap handheld temperature sensor to compare the A/C's of my two vehicles. What temperature (cold) should I expect?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The older cars used R12 freon. Probly back to 1998/2000. Then it switched to R134a. People noticed that it didn't seem as cold. It still got the job done. I had actually couple of cars and trucks converted to R134a from R12. Both vehicles preformed a/c very well.
Now Honda has switched to a new freon, the name I don't remember in thier new Pilots. I sure the RL G2 has that same kind. Might take some time for us to get used to the idiosyncrasies of this new freon.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
441 Posts
I am a new owner of a 2017 RL RTL-E. I just picked it up yesterday. I took some joyrides yesterday and am pleased overall with my purchase. The only thing that concerns me is the A/C. Because I live in south Florida, A/C is very important, especially the ability of the unit to produce very cold air. Perhaps I need to spend more time inside the truck, but my initial impression is that the A/C does not seem to perform as well as my 2007 Buick Lacrosse. Read: not as cold and not cold enough. The Buick's A/C is able to produce a level of "coldness" that can rival a reefer. Perhaps that's an exaggeration but I can turn it so low that it's too cold.

I would appreciate the comments and experiences of other owners regarding their impressions of the A/C performance of the RL G2. I was actually thinking of buying a cheap handheld temperature sensor to compare the A/C's of my two vehicles. What temperature (cold) should I expect?
I've had my truck since the end of July and it did really good during our august heat wave. Do not use ECO mode if you need max cold because it cycles the AC off more often and it won't keep you cool.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to those who responded. After some more testing with friends riding along, I've come to the conclusion that the A/C is operating as designed. That was the determination of my friends who own current BMW and Honda vehicles. That being said, I followed up with another test drive in my 10 year old Buick Lacrosse with the same friends aboard. We all agreed that the A/C system in my old car got colder and did so faster, which confirmed my theory that nobody does A/C better than the USA Big 3. Not surprising considering that they've been doing it longer and, in fact, was offered to the public first by Packard in 1939.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Buy a gauge like this one and test both vehicles. At least you'll know what the numbers are. Ideally you'll get less than 40 degrees at the vents (on max) but Honda considers anything less than 44 okay. You're one of the few members that's had a chance to really test out the AC, most of us will have to wait until next summer to get any meaningful numbers.

https://www.amazon.com/Robinair-105...83213989&sr=8-5&keywords=ac+temperature+gauge

·
Registered
313 Posts
And with all the rain you get in South Florida (I lived in Davie for 5 years), make sure you read the thread on the C-601 connector issue and treat it with CRC.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I don't find the HVAC very good. The fan is really noisy and it takes a long time for the temperature in the cabin to reach the desired setting.. all the while the fan makes all kinds of noise.

I prefer to set the temp up/down to the max and then adjust the fan to a lower manual speed. Once I feel comfortable I hit the auto switch and and adjust the temperature.

Our 2013 X3 is much better at temperature control and the bimmer works more like the the aforementioned manual method.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's exactly what I instinctively did upon first use of the A/C. If I put the A/C on the lowest level in the old Buick, you could hang a side of beef up and keep it good. Seriously, you simply cannot leave the temp there because it's too cold after a short while.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Your ten year old Buick had either r12 or r134. R12 was coldest, R134a was next in line still got cold but not as cold as r12. The news Hondas are using a new freon. The name I'm not sure of. It is not as efficient as 12 or 134a by any stretch. The first two are supposed to be banned or going to be banned Federally. Unsafe for enviroment.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've got a 2018 and the AC is pathetic. Last week it was blowing luke warm. Turns out I needed new condensor yesterday, but even with new one, it's just average. My Audi was the same. My wife's 2010 venza is an ice box. I guess the refrigerant is partly to blame compared to old freon use. One of my biggest gripes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
566 Posts
check coolant levels, that makes a difference too, maybe drain, flush and replace it with amsoil antifreeze/coolant

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2 week old Ridgeline at the vent is 49-50 degrees. Honeys 2015 CRV is 46, my 2012 Camry blows 40 degrees. Its at the dealer now and they are giving me a bunch of mumbo jumbo

·
Administrator
16,069 Posts
The older cars used R12 freon. Probly back to 1998/2000. Then it switched to R134a.
The change from R12 to R134a happened for the 1994 model year. A few changed earlier.

The news Hondas are using a new freon. The name I'm not sure of.
R1234yf is the newest automotive refrigerant that is now in most new automobiles. It is not required, but automakers get fuel economy credits for using it.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
From this thread and others, I see there is a big disparity on HVAC performance among different RLs. The strange thing about my A/C is that the compressor seems to cycle more during hot weather, which causes a fluctuation in vent temperature of up to seven degrees. It is very noticeable on hot days. When I had my BE in for other warranty work, I asked them to check the a/c performance, and, of course, they said it was normal. I've read in industry magazines that R1234yf can be replaced with R134a, but, legally, it has to be done only if the refrigerant has leaked out. Another thing is R1234yf was about $100/lb. I believe the price has dropped a little since it was first introduced, but few companies are licensed to produce it. I purchased a set of the r1234yf gauges, because I wanted to see what the gauge readings were when the compressor cycled. Basically, I wanted to see if it was the low temp sensor or the low pressure sensor causing the compressor to kick off.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Mine works great. The only time I notice any difference is when driving into the sun and that huge dash is reflecting back into the cabin.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
632 Posts
I’m entering the second summer with mine in Texas. It works good, not better or worse than most of the vehicles I’ve had. I’ve never checked the temperature of the A/C outlets, I’ve had no reason to do so.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts