Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Know It May Be A Stupid Question But I Really Do Not Know.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's "Original Equipment Manufacturer." The label refers to the parts originally used in production by the car maker or available from dealers. OEM parts can be made directly by the automaker or by third-party companies and supplied to the automaker.

For example, Honda might build its own mufflers, or a company like Walker Mufflers might have an OEM contract to supply mufflers to them. They would build these to Honda specs and with the Honda logo and part number and supply them to Honda. Either type of part would be known as an OEM part.

Non-OEM parts are usually referred to as "aftermarket" parts.

Bob

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mcneon said:
It's "Original Equipment Manufacturer." The label refers to the parts originally used in production by the car maker or available from dealers. OEM parts can be made directly by the automaker or by third-party companies and supplied to the automaker.

For example, Honda might build its own mufflers, or a company like Walker Mufflers might have an OEM contract to supply mufflers to them. They would build these to Honda specs and with the Honda logo and part number and supply them to Honda. Either type of part would be known as an OEM part.

Non-OEM parts are usually referred to as "aftermarket" parts.

Bob
Thank you for clearing that up for me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DoctorJ said:
Original Equipment Manufacturer
Thank you for the answer

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
ehaley said:
And there's no such thing as a stupid question.
Sure there is, the question that isn't asked is the stupid question.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts