Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

What gas brand gives your best mileage?

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  jeffiam 
#1 · (Edited)
I have almost 1600 miles on my Ridgeline and have gotten between 16 and 18 mpg. I live 10 miles from the nearest gas station but there is a little convenience mart only three miles away and that is where I buy all my gas. They only sell Chevron so that is all I've ever used in the Ridgeline. I like it too because I have heard their Techron additive package is one of the best. However, I have nothing to compare it to.

I will be taking my first overnight trip tomorrow and will put on about 600 miles during the next two days. I will stop for gas a couple times and wanted to experiment with other brands just to see if my mileage and/or performance differs.

So, my question is what gas brand have you found performs the best in your Ridgeline in the 87 octane or "regular" grade?

#2 ·
I have just over 18,000 miles on my Ridgeline. I use Diamond Shamrock, Exxon, Shell and some Citco. I don't see any change in my milage. My MPG seems to be a direct correlation in how I drive. I don't seem to get as good a milage as some on the ROC. I'm about to slow down (milage wise) and not as much stop and go so maybe my milage will go up.

Tiger

#3 ·
On my wife's RSX, Shell(atleast the one by her work) lately has been giving her consistantly better MPG. I have to point that the car is modified however. When I say better, I mean in the range of 2MPG better. We are still doing some tests so I can't say for sure, but it's been 3 tanks.

#4 ·
My experience (NOT Ridgeline related), is Mobil never performed in my vehicles very well. I always needed mid-grade to stop the occastional pinging, where I didn't need mid-grade to get the good performance with Shell.
Many nationwide reports are now saying that Station owners are mixing 87 octane regular with their premium 93 octane gas and selling it as premium. Given these reports, how many are adding water, or perhaps your local station might have a old holding tank that is leaking in water?
About a month ago Our Harley Owner Group took a trip to Michigan from Wisconsin. Half the Chapter filled their bikes at a local station, can't remember the brand, Harley's use premium gas BTW. The next morning we started out and half the bikes were running abnormally poor, sputting and coughing, none had encountered any problems previously. Only those who bought gas at that station were affected.

Bottom line, find a station you like, that gives your good performace, mileage, and that is close enough to you. I feel in many cases that station has more to do with the quality than the actual Brand. Also if your vehicle runs good on 87 octane regular, then no need to spend the addition bucks on the mid-grade. :cool:

#5 ·
Hi there,

I just have driven across the country - 2500 miles (towing about 1.5 ton) and experimented with different gas grades. My conclusion is that there is no improvement in mileage when using better gas grade even when towing. Furthermore, I have not noticed a significant difference in gas mileage when I was towing my stuff between really pushing it and driving conservatively. I would recommend sticking to 87; higher octane is just a waist of money on this truck. I have a heavy foot and have been pushing my Silver Bullet all the way to the 80 and got about 13-14 miles to the gallon while towing. Normally I get 16-18 in every day driving.

Buy the way, this engine has a Mr. Honda's soul build into it, and it is drooling just at the thought of getting RPM's high - just like Honda bikes, everyone who thinks that this truck is underpowered has to be out of his mind, or had never driven it. I have stopped at 15 counting all the Avalanche's I have passed with a trailer attached to my tail.

Ridgepol

G
#6 ·
I have only used 87 in Ridgena. Always get in the neighborhood of 19 mpg. I'm good with that.
Towing! I do see the gas gage drop much faster when towing but I know what happens.
WOW!!! Ridgepol, awesome trip. Glad it was a safe one. :)

#8 ·
I almost always use 85 (we get a lower octane gas at altitude) and that works fine here. I don't see much improvement with higher grades.

#9 ·
Just wanted to provide a little update.
Earlier in the week, my wife had to put in some Exxon gas because she could not make it to the Shell that's been giving her great gas mileage. It would appear that the Exxon gas is CLEARLY giving her less MPG. With the Exxon gas, we are back to normal, about 170-180 miles at 1/2 tank. With the shell gas, we were getting well over 200 at 1/2 tank point.

I'll continue this experiment...

#10 ·
shingles said:
Just wanted to provide a little update.
Earlier in the week, my wife had to put in some Exxon gas because she could not make it to the Shell that's been giving her great gas mileage. It would appear that the Exxon gas is CLEARLY giving her less MPG. With the Exxon gas, we are back to normal, about 170-180 miles at 1/2 tank. With the shell gas, we were getting well over 200 at 1/2 tank point.

I'll continue this experiment...
ive thought i was getting better mpg with shell also but hadn't experimented enough to know for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.