Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did my first oil change on our 2019 RTL-E I purchased in September and hate the oil fill location and angle! Installed a Stahlbus valve in place of the plug to make future changes easier. First time I've used Stahlbus. All of the others have been Fumoto valves on my other vehicles.

The stahlbus® oil drain valve

·
Registered
338 Posts
So, when they ask you why you didn't have your oil changed at 3000 miles, do you tell them you're just following the manufacturer's recommendations? 😁
Hah, I'm at 6500 right now and still @ 40% on the MM life.

Gonna take it in soon for a tire rotation and to fix 2 very annoying rattles (including rear windshield............pray for me). I'm sure theyll try to sell me an oil and filter change, I'll remind them that Honda advises specifically AGAINST such service.

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
386 Posts
Well that probably ends me getting to do it myself. I have ramps, so taking the wheel off isn't an option. Thanks for the video !
Just turn your wheel to the side...you can easily access...even on ramps.
Thats what i did on my Odyssey...On ramps..turn wheel. :)
No need to take wheel off..

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I have ramps, but my plan is to get some 2x12s and cut them to different lengths, then stack them to make custom drive-up ramps. I think this will provide a more solid footing for turning the wheel to the right to access the filter, and can get a more custom height on the ramps.

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
386 Posts
No matter how difficult the RL filter is...it will never be the pain in the ### that the CRV filter is!!
Truth! haha

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry had to go here. I had to add a bit of oil to my 2019 ( 4500 miles) probably because it was not checked by the dealer and as I maneuvered my small hands to remove the oil filler cap I had to ask why is it there? Of course because I mentally noted it when I went to screw it back on I dropped it. Thank God it fell to the bottom and with a long rod was able to recover it through the lower plastic panel. I have small hands. Can't imagine if I didn't . It's in a lousy place. Put it on top like 90% of other cars Honda.
Because you shouldn't be messing with it. Only qualified dealer lube technicians with sophisticated equipment should be working under there. /SARCASM....

View attachment 399540
Yeah
Look for the blue can in the right front fender well.

I trimmed the plastic "splash guard" back 4" for better access.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I don't know if that is the correct "socket" for the OEM filter or not. My experience with that type of wrench is that it will only work with certain brands of filters and not others even though they are for the same vehicle and same basic dimensions. Basically if it works for the OEM filter and that is what you plan on using then you will be good to go. If you are going to try and find a better oil filter (OEM A02 filter is not often considered a very good filter) or a better deal then you may find that your wrench won't work.
I typically use a strap wrench which will work on anything but I have also had good luck with one like Mumbles linked.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
127 Posts
If it's the correct one, it'll work. It's the one I've been using for decades, only mine is an OE Honda tool. There are other brands of filter that it fits, too.
Short of turning this into an oil thread, the filters I use are O E Filtec, Mobile 1, Purolater ONE, & Bosch.
That K & N "Nut" has been known to twist off.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm at 1600 miles and my oil life is @ 60%. I would like to change out the filter, add oil to filter, to eliminate a dry start, and top off as necessary, and let it ride until the MM says 20%. I feel that the filter could have the normal, perhaps even more, of the break-in metal shavings, and a new filter is a small investment for the engine. Most of the time I just change the oil at this point, but I like the idea of keeping the 1st factory fill in, because of the extra moly from the engine assembly. Opinions ?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I'm at 1600 miles and my oil life is @ 60%. I would like to change out the filter, add oil to filter, to eliminate a dry start, and top off as necessary, and let it ride until the MM says 20%. I feel that the filter could have the normal, perhaps even more, of the break-in metal shavings, and a new filter is a small investment for the engine. Most of the time I just change the oil at this point, but I like the idea of keeping the 1st factory fill in, because of the extra moly from the engine assembly. Opinions ?
Considering that Honda, as well as other mfrs, recommend changing the oil filter EVERY OTHER OIL CHANGE, i think you would be fine leaving the original filter on for the duration of the first go-round. That is my plan.

But if it is worth your peace of mind, feel free to change it. It likely won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
127 Posts
That might be a feel good measure to change the filter. I plan on tearing my first ( OE ) filter apart for inspection. A feel good thing. :rolleyes:
I took the first filter apart on my Kawasaki & found assembly debris on the element. Didn't seem to matter though, the bike now has about 60 K miles with no issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No matter how difficult the RL filter is...it will never be the pain in the ### that the CRV filter is!!
Truth! haha
I had a 1984 Honda Prelude and a 1986 Accord and on both of them the filter was mounted high up on the back side of the engine. You could not get to it from the top with out removing a lot of stuff and it was a long way up to get it from the bottom. Oh, and there was only about 2 inches between the filter and the firewall!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts