Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I periodically buy blocks of parts for my Ridgelines to keep stuff looking new or do preventative maintenance.
In some cases these orders come to thousands of dollars. I've noticed recently that all of my usual sources, the big on-line dealers, have started to charge absurd shipping prices. I know that large oversized items incur high shipping costs, but over $179 shipping for a bottom seat cushion? Or $79 shipping for a bunch
of transmission and door seals that would fit into a large priority mail box?

I've also noticed that the local dealers have developed a similar attitude. I had a relationship with a local dealer for a discount based on the volume of parts I purchased, but they changed hands and the new owner pretty much put an end to that. He's rather loose thousands of dollars a year in business to mail order.

Is there anyone left that has sane prices on parts and shipping or is the era of buying OEM parts at reasonable prices pretty much over? Is Honda putting pressure on dealers to not undercut each other on parts?

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
131 Posts
I periodically buy blocks of parts for my Ridgelines to keep stuff looking new or do preventative maintenance.
In some cases these orders come to thousands of dollars. I've noticed recently that all of my usual sources, the big on-line dealers, have started to charge absurd shipping prices. I know that large oversized items incur high shipping costs, but over $179 shipping for a bottom seat cushion? Or $79 shipping for a bunch
of transmission and door seals that would fit into a large priority mail box?

I've also noticed that the local dealers have developed a similar attitude. I had a relationship with a local dealer for a discount based on the volume of parts I purchased, but they changed hands and the new owner pretty much put an end to that. He's rather loose thousands of dollars a year in business to mail order.

Is there anyone left that has sane prices on parts and shipping or is the era of buying OEM parts at reasonable prices pretty much over? Is Honda putting pressure on dealers to not undercut each other on parts?
I bought 4 splash guards from Bernardi Honda in MA for $97.00, free ship and no sales tax. They had options for faster but the time frame didn't justify it. Got them in 5 business days to CO.

Now some of the other online dealers that weren't Honda dealers charged a lttie less for the splash guards, but MAN the jacked-up shipping? $32 ground for 4 plastic splash guards? No thanks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ordered the longer rear door checkers from cheaperhondaparts 10 days ago.....should arrive day 14 or 15. <$19 for the pair but $12 for 2 weeks shipping.......ridiculous.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I bought 4 splash guards from Bernardi Honda in MA for $97.00, free ship and no sales tax. They had options for faster but the time frame didn't justify it. Got them in 5 business days to CO.
11/28/2019, ordered door visors from Bernardi HONDA Parts, cheapest price found, no shipping charges.

When ordering goodies on line and I believe that the shipping charges are too high, I move on to another seller. If everybody is too high, I do without, a simple solution.

Bill

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
131 Posts
Ordered the longer rear door checkers from cheaperhondaparts 10 days ago.....should arrive day 14 or 15. <$19 for the pair but $12 for 2 weeks shipping.......ridiculous.🤷‍♂️
That's the parts dealer I rejected due to their ripoff shipping costs. Forgot to empty my cart tho and they hassled me for two days to complete my order--even offered 50% off the shipping. Eff them. At Bernardi those splash guards were only a couple bucks more.

·
Registered
24 Posts
TOTALLY agree with the assessment / comments here. I tried to source a 2020 tail light at the usual Honda places...found one for a reasonable $132. But then they wanted $33 to ship the thing. Ahhh, NO, not happening in the days of Amazon, who can get things to my house in 2 days, and not charge me an arm and a leg.
I purposefully went aftermarket...because of the ridiculous shipping costs.

·
Administrator
14,921 Posts
Ahhh, NO, not happening in the days of Amazon, who can get things to my house in 2 days, and not charge me an arm and a leg.
For the last two months, my "free 2-day Prime deliveries" from Amazon have been taking two weeks and show no signs of improving. I order quite a bit from Amazon.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Got the door checkers yesterday (14days).....in a 5X8X15 box.......$12 shipping. Really???? They could have easily been shipped in one of those padded envelopes.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Got the door checkers yesterday (14days).....in a 5X8X15 box.......$12 shipping. Really???? They could have easily been shipped in one of those padded envelopes.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, this is not aimed specifically at you, mind you, but you still obviously paid the shipping, did you not, the seller did not hold you at gun point to buy the part(s) from them, did they? :whistle:

Bill

·
Registered
965 Posts
One of our regional dealer chains, Lia, has a large online operation like Bernardi called Lia Parts. They have the best possible online prices AND offer a Local Pickup option at your nearest Lia dealer. I have a Lia Honda 3 miles away, so I order my parts online and select local pickup.

They cannot and will not allow you to buy over the counter at the online pricing but on in stock items, you can pick up in 15 minutes or so. Same as Advance Auto order online and pick up in store.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes, I paid the shipping because I wanted the checkers......they all are ripping us off by holding us at gun point. Not much negotiating when buying online. With online buying I've grown accustomed to "Free Shipping"......it seems to be the norm these days. And yes I understand nothing is free (especially dealership oil/filter changes).....shipping cost is built-in to the item price when it says "Free Shipping".

$30 is about the best total price I found. One place sells the part $10 cheaper but charges $10 more for shipping and vice versa.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Yes, I paid the shipping because I wanted the checkers......they all are ripping us off by holding us at gun point.

LOL, there are lots of items out there that I would like to have, and I have the choice to purchase or not. If the price of the item itself, or the shipping costs, are higher than I think they should be, then I simply do without until I find the item being sold at my "reasonable" price. The rear door checkers are far from being a necessity so by no means are sellers holding anybody at gun point.

Bill

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Isn't this commonly known as Capitalism and what this country is based upon? What is the alternative called? If you do not know maybe you might do a little research on China, Cuba, Laos, Vietnam...........

Bill

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Kind of a shame, I've been stocking up with Bernadi for years with the free shipping over $150 (sometimes with a price match) over the holidays. Now, prices have been raised and there is free shipping over $75 but I don't think they price match anymore which makes them almost irrelevant. Fortunately, I've have a decent amount of stock as I was going to unwind from the Honda brand anyway.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Isn't this commonly known as Capitalism and what this country is based upon? What is the alternative called? If you do not know maybe you might do a little research on China, Cuba, Laos, Vietnam...........

Bill
Geez, you sure twisted this thread around.....always one in every forum.

If you don’t like the way I responded to the thread, that’s your privilege, because of the freedoms/privileges we have living in the greatest capitalistic country on earth. I have some privileges as well....one of those privileges is to respond in this forum the way I want, as long as I follow the forum rules. Why don’t we get back to the thread topic....that being shipping cost.

Oh, almost forgot, I don’t need a history lesson either.😉

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,721 Posts
...like some batteries I ordered from Amazon a while back. :)

Amazon is no fool when it comes to maximizing profit .... one has to wonder if there's something about the mechanics of their shipping systems (conveyors, labelling / weighing / sorting machinery, whatever) that makes some of these apparently ridiculous packaging's ultimately more 'efficient' at the scale of their operation?

Not suggesting a customer-cost-based motivation for anything they do, just suggesting they do all they can to maximize profit at the price they get for their services, whether it's 'shipped and sold by' or just 'warehoused and shipped by' them.

Same for all of these vendors, IMO, with varying degrees of optimization / sophistication (Amazon's probably at the cutting-edge of that) ..... they price goods and shipping ('included free' or 'line-item separate') based on the ultimate driver of corporate success in the 'free-enterprise' system: Charge what 'the market will bear' and maximize profit by optimizing internal efficiencies to minimize their costs.

We see changes in pricing and shipping schemes based on the ever-changing landscape of what the market will bear and tools for minimizing the vendors total turnkey cost ("total price" being what the customer bears, "total cost" being what the vendor bears, the difference between the two being "vendor profit").

As viewed by the consumer some vendors are better at it than others .... that's where consumer choice can affect the market landscape, and drive vendor policy/practice changes.

Isn't this commonly known as Capitalism and what this country is based upon?
In running with that tangent, I'll offer: Well, not really, IMO. The 'basis' of the USA is much more complex than, and had actually little to do with, the evolved system of economy, IMO. When one studies the writings and deliberations of the founders (independence conventions, constitutionals conventions, Federalist papers, etc, etc) one finds relatively little discussion of the economic system per-se, though a fair amount of discussion of the role of the government in regulation of that system.

The "basis" seems much more related to individual freedoms and rights, and the role of the government in that (which indirectly facilitate economic / market-system evolution).

IMO it's a matter of political / circumstantial expedience that causes some folks to play (mis-play, IMO) the way over-simplified and mis-emphasized "Capitalism Card" when referring to the "basis" of our country. And when that card is played, it discounts the true and more significant "basis" of our country, which in remembrance and real understanding better serves our long-term interests, IMO. Granting, discerning the underlying interests and intents of the founders is, and will always be, an integral part of our political debate.

·
Super Moderator
5,359 Posts
No problem maximizing profits, but IMHO auto dealers are some of the best. My daughter-in-law purchased a used vehicle yesterday at a fair price, but the dealer made quite a bit of money on the deal.

2010 Subaru Forester Premium with 81K miles. The KBB (I know dealers use Blackbook) trade-in price is $5,600. They were selling the vehicle for $8,400 plus $599 dealer handling. The dealer is a 1price used car dealer - AutoNation. I inquired about a discount for being a repeat (3X) customer of that specific dealership. The sales rep said they absolutely have no negotiations regarding price on used vehicles.

I would have walked, but the vehicle had the records of ALL the required maintenance being done from day one at the dealership, and it was in pristine shape.

My point being - for the dealer to make $3,400 on a car of that value is substantial.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts