Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from hauling 1400 lbs of wood pellets for my neighbor who recently had surgery. He cannot lift anything yet so he called me. Here's how it went:
First, the truck did not hardly squat at all like a live axle truck will do. The rear tires "splayed" out a bit but that was all. I got in and began to drive, expecting to feel the front end "lifting" and making steering difficult...this also did not happen, like a regular truck would do. As I came to a stoplight, I started slowing early (like in my previous trucks) and found the brakes felt almost the same as if I had no load. The only drawback is the slightly longer acceleration time. What a truck! Hope this helps someone.;)

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
hiPSI said:
I just got back from hauling 1400 lbs of wood pellets for my neighbor who recently had surgery. He cannot lift anything yet so he called me. Here's how it went:
First, the truck did not hardly squat at all like a live axle truck will do. The rear tires "splayed" out a bit but that was all. I got in and began to drive, expecting to feel the front end "lifting" and making steering difficult...this also did not happen, like a regular truck would do. As I came to a stoplight, I started slowing early (like in my previous trucks) and found the brakes felt almost the same as if I had no load. The only drawback is the slightly longer acceleration time. What a truck! Hope this helps someone.;)
Good report! My suspisions confirmed. What part of the mountains are you located? Are you close to me?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It is always cool hearing about how people use their truck. 1400lbs of pellets must last a while. Does he heat his entire house with the stove or just a couple rooms?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
captmiddy said:
It is always cool hearing about how people use their truck. 1400lbs of pellets must last a while. Does he heat his entire house with the stove or just a couple rooms?
He heats one huge room. Lots of windows, walnut paneling and trim, etc. This will last him most of the winter.

I'm in the mountains of West Virginia. I notice we have a few other posters from WV here also, and no, I did not marry my cousin and I still have all of my teeth too!:D

·
Registered
648 Posts
Reminds me of the time I had to pick up a pallet load of shingles (1280#). The guy on the forklift was amazed that the back end didn't sag. I was too.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I have been hauling 50# bags of feed corn since I bought my RL in the spring and often will have 20 of them in the bed. No problems what so ever although the gas mileage drops a little. The only problem I have is on Saturdays I can't get away from the feed store loading dock because everyone wants to look at the RL. Surprising that most all of the people driving the dinosaur trucks have been very positive with their comments about the RL, especially the MPG and "trunk" storage area.
Once in a while though I will get some old goat ask me "what ya got there boy"?:D

L

·
0 Posts
Can't help you with this one. The only thing I haul besides Drew's kart trailer is a$$. :D
Ridgena kicks it. :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
ladyridge said:
Can't help you with this one. The only thing I haul besides Drew's kart trailer is a$$. :D
Ridgena kicks it. :)
LMAO!!! :D

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
DoctorJ said:
I wonder how high you could go before causing a problem, 1600, 1800?
Care to guess how loaded my RL was here? I had 1200 pounds in concrete with 29 4x4x6 posts underneath them. I suspect I was getting close to the 1550 limit, if not over. I need a way to weigh a 4x4x6.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Nice load, swampler. You can tell it's for real by the tire/wheel well clearance.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
On a recent trip from Ohio to Canada, we had the bed and trunk of my Ridge completely stuffed with gear consisting of fishin' tackle, boat motor, gasoline cans, food, beverages, luggage and other assorted items related to survival. It was packed very tightly (uncovered), with some items sticking up higher than the side rails but lower than the cab. The cab carried three of us (combined weight about 700 lbs.) and the rest was stuffed full of luggage/gear. At one point, while loading up, we considered taking my buddy's F-250, but that idea passed quickly. Once on the road, the only indicator of a heavy load came at night when a few oncoming vehicles flashed their high beams. I probably should have adjusted the headlights but I didn't have the inclination to do so for the short time that we would be driving in the dark.

When we arrived at the base camp, one ol' geezer, with a typical Canadian accent, asked "You came all the way from Ohio like that, eh? Didn't something fall out?" We all cracked up and told him that if we had lost anything, we didn't know about it yet. It was a great trip and the truck was completely up to the task. :)

Sorry, no photos of the load.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Sounds like a graet trip

·
Registered
670 Posts
Thanks for the post HiPSI. Honda seemed to have thought this one through when it comes to hauling and towing (heavy duty brakes and fan), among other things.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
goathead said:
glad you didnt have a flat, and have to unload all of your gear to change the tire:)
Been there, on the side of I-90 in Friday afternoon traffic, with a tandem axle trailer in tow. No fun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts