Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

What did you do to/with your G2 Ridgeline today?

556K views 2K replies 521 participants last post by  edgreenz 
#1 ·
In this thread, tell us what you did with your G2 Ridgeline today. Pictures encouraged!

#3 · (Edited)
I took photos of all the issues that should not have passed quality control and plan on meeting with a Honda district rep later this week :grin:

For example, here's one of the ridiculous door gap. this is why my door was so hard to close. According to a 20+ year tech of honda, this is out of tolerance, can not be adjusted, and should have never left the factory like this.

#14 ·
I agree. That should not exit the factory like that.

I had fitment issues with my G1 as well. Not quite like yours though. My left rear passenger door did not fit evenly around the frame... looking at it from an angle, you could see parts stuck out and parts seemed indented relative to the body. The gap looked good. But it certainly didn't meet reasonable quality standards for fitment in my opinion.

I posted a thread with pics... but don't have the link handy at the moment.

#4 ·
I put a set of Gorilla Guard wheel locks on mine. They went on fine and were inexpensive, but they stick out about 1/4 of an inch or so more than the other lug nuts do. Not too sure I like that, but it does make them more obvious. Maybe that is a good thing for where I park some times.

#9 ·
what make/model led lights/fogs? I did some research and didn't find any that i like with the exception of the Philips H11 fogs, but i'm not going to run those as headlights, not bright enough - so i upgraded my halogens :)

#11 ·
I did research for like 3 days and read a bunch of reviews on Amazon and then I just got tired of it and called my parts guy (I have a shop) and he sent me down a couple pair of LEDs he sells and I don't have any complaints, I'll take a pic of the box tomorrow and send it over.

#15 ·
Made another dump run today, forgot to take a picture.

But I put 10 old gallons of paint and a sump pump in the trunk, with lots of space leftover. In the bed, I had an old fire pit that had become dilapidated and a rusty old mountain bike.

A guy at the dump had a black F-150 extended cab. He loved the Ridgeline and could not believe I got 28mpg on the way to the dump.

#16 ·
Dropping the RL off at the dealer today for an unknown "district rep" to take a look at the door gap issue. They are going to give me a loaner. I requested the Black AWD RL that came from another dealer and already has almost 300 miles on it and they just laughed. Hope to hear something tomorrow. It will probably go something like this:

from Honda: "We're sorry for the trouble you've been having with your new RTL. We would like to thank you for your loyalty for owning 9 Honda vehicles and also congratulate you for being the first customer at our dealership to take delivery of the new honda ridgeline. As a token of appreciation, we would like to upgrade your vehicle at no charge. (I'll even chip in for the RTL-E) Please continue to drive your RL until your new order has arrived. Thank you, Team Honda." (I know, wishful thinking on my part)

Actual response will be more like:

"The 3mm offset you described as a "door gap" is within tolerance and deemed reasonable by Honda and is not a factory flaw. You can always trade-in your RL towards another trim level and we assure you that we will give you the best trade-in allowance for your vehicle." LOL

I'll be sure to make a new post with the outcome.

Reactions: Terrestrial Rover
#20 ·
Actual response will be more like:

"The 3mm offset you described as a "door gap" is within tolerance and deemed reasonable by Honda and is not a factory flaw. You can always trade-in your RL towards another trim level and we assure you that we will give you the best trade-in allowance for your vehicle." LOL

I'll be sure to make a new post with the outcome.
Gosh that sure sounds like Toyota when their 2016 Tacoma Ltd 4x4 was found to have a buzzy vibration between 2100-2400 RPM in the steering wheel that put my hands and lower arms to sleep on longer drives. They sent me a letter that said the "steering functions as designed" and my dealer said they'd give me a 'good' trade in if I wanted something else, since there is nothing they could do until Toyota said their was an issue.

WOW...I hope that Honda treats you better than Toyota treated me.

#18 ·
GTRdone, what does the gap between the bad FR door, and rear door, look like? Assuming it's tight at the top, bigger gap at the bottom?

Looks like a hinge-to-body issue, which is much more difficult to fix. Surface flushness gaps can corrected by using smaller shouldered bolts in the hinge-to-door attachment point along with "massaging" the fenders. The opening edge flushness of the door can adjusted with the striker & stops.

The dealer will probably have to break the weld sealer at the hinge-to-body attachment, and reset & reseal. Tricky, but can be done.

#19 · (Edited)
yes tight at the top and big at the bottom on the part where the drivers door meets the left rear passenger door. the whole door needs to me twisted to the left a few degrees. Hinge to body issue is correct and this can't be compensated by adjusting the hinge bolts. basically the welds are off and will have to have surgery. Service manager said they will more than likely send it to a local collision shop and get an estimate.:surprise: I think this will run them a few grand at least. I'd say let honda of america buy back the car and let me purchase an RTL-E at invoice and call it a day. (i.e., i'm willing to fork over the difference for the upgrade). Sucks because I really liked the truck and already sunk $1k of accessories in it. I really don't want to have a truck that's been repaired to this extent. even if the repair work is spot on, I'll know it's there and it just won't sit well with me. :frown: The district manager that has the decision power in this matter will look at this in the following day. Not sure how I feel about this mess.... maybe this explains my bitterness on the forum lately :wink:

#21 · (Edited)
Honda took care of the issue, it was an easy fix actually but created another.

#24 ·
Day two for me and my G2 RL. Took apart an old mattress and took it to the recycle depot. Then reloaded with a load of cans/bottles for the bottle depot. Exactly the king of stuff I expect to be doing with my RL. Didn't need 2000# payload or 7000# towing capacity. Probably never will.

The bed liner is top notch. Pulled the wiry mattress frame in and out with no noticeable scratching.

The RL was a hit with people at the recycle depot. Lots of interested onlookers.

I love my pilot-with-a-bed!

Attachments

#25 ·
My girlfriend sold a small dining set, just a table and 4 chairs. She charged an extra $50 delivery fee, which of course went to me for the 5 mile ride. It was nice getting a full tank of gas paid for in exchange for such a simple task, something I never could have done with my car.

The 4 chairs went into the backseat. Stacked in twos. That backseat storage is awesome. Forgot to take a picture, of course.

#29 ·
I saw this on a Tacoma forum and really liked it.

Post pics of things you did to your g2 today. Try to keep chat to a minimum so people can look through and just see mods.

To start I did my first mod. Got rid of the chrome bumper parts on RTL with carbon vinyl.

Attachments

#34 ·
Today I.... SOLD my ridgeline! :)

#58 ·
+1 did the same to my 08. (and every other vehicle I have owned).