Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,590 Posts
Relocated eight 4-5 year old fruit trees from my orchard! I know, it is a less than ideal time to move these, but this was the last chance or they would never move. Should have been done while still dormant. I'll be lopping off all the flowers in addition to their 50-60% canopy reduction and crossing my fingers they don't up and die from this massive transplant shock.
You really use your truck as a truck Silkiechicken. Good for you!

· Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Who needs a leveling kit? Just haul a half ton of wood chips! I don't know if it really is 1000lbs... but I shoveled between 40-50 lbs per bag and filled up the bed with like 25-30 bags.
That's what I call a lowering kit.

Did you have to haul it far? The reason I ask is I'm curries what type of MPG you were getting hauling that load in your bed.

· Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Well, moved the last of my pile of arborist chips. It was somewhere about 30 yards in total... possibly more, don't really know... it was 4 of those arborist box truck loads. Probably would have been cheaper and easier to find an arborist nearer to the final destination and paid them to deliver to a tarp in a driveway... but this pile was free, I could move it at my leisure and most importantly I got to use my TRUCK!! It was easily 20+ trips in the last 6 months.
Wow. Did you fill-up the bed, the In-Bed Trunk, and the second row with bags of just the bed? How did your RL handle with that much weight in the back?

· Premium Member
2,590 Posts
I put something like 26-30 bags in just the bed because I didn't really want to push the payload max of 1500 something too hard. I would say each bag was the weight or just under the weight of a bag of feed, which is 50lbs, so with me taking up 150lbs of that payload, I may have been pretty close to max as is. If the chips were drier, they'd be lighter, but despite record heat and lack of rain, the chip pile was still wet from our record rains in the last water year.

As for squat, it sure did, but I never measured by how much! I took it easy driving. Left a larger following distance and really tuned down my tendency to turn too hard. But it handled just fine and had no issues accelerating onto the freeway. I was getting computer calculated roughly 21mpg with that load, which is 3mpg lower than it normally reports of regular freeway travel. The hardest part was shoveling literally tons of chips into bags, and loading them into the truck. Good thing my day job doesn't involve labor!
Great report Silkiechicken. Thanks for documenting your RL's performance. It helps me think about my future Gen1 replacement.

· Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Don't know if this really counts as hauling, but this is what is in my trunk all the time... clearly RL makes a great work truck:

1. Tarp
  2. Moving Blanket
  3. Paper towels
  4. 110V light + built-in extension cord (since there is an inverter)
  5. Knee pad (gotta keep these nice clothes clean)
  6. First aid kit
  7. Disposable poncho (not sure why, but I had it and threw it in)
  8. 7 pin to 4 pin trailer light converter
  9. Trailer hitch
  10. Socket set (includes nut drivers, screw drivers, allen wrenches, open end wrenches, pliars (& similar), and more
  11. Electrical tools (includes stripper, crimp connectors, 12v tester, multimeter, hot wire detector, circuit finder, outlet tester, and mroe
  12. Battery driver
  13. Battery drill
  14. Battery charger for power tools (I mean, there is a 110v inverter right?)
  15. Battery multi-vibro-tool
  16. Battery circular saw
  17. Battery drain cleaner
  18. Battery skill saw
  19. Battery saw-zall
  20. Battery impact wrench - and sockets
  21. Battery mini-vac
  22. 2x 18v batteries to power all that
  23. Hammer
  24. Duct tape (what truck is complete without duct tape?)

Under the seat up front, I have jumper cables, boots, window scraper, and ratchet tie downs.

According to the government (who knows all right) gas mileage is only 1% affected per 100 lbs. So now I have the tools where I need them when I need them! This is why I love having a trunk. No room for groceries? That is what the back seat is for!

2017SilverRTL-E
Cool! You have to love the In-Bed Trunk.

I recommend moving this to the threat titled, "http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...ons/174346-what-do-you-carry-emergencies.html."

· Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Wasn't sure how it was going to work, but picked myself up a 16 foot cattle panel. Hiding in the trunk is a bag of all stock, layer pellets, and oyster shell! Load out kids were impressed with the trunk! LOL
Carry on with your bad self Silkiechicken! >:) Just remember that the In-Bed Trunk is only rated to support 300 lbs of stuff. I've never heard of anyone on the ROC overloading the trunk to the point of failure but it is technically possible.

· Premium Member
2,590 Posts
... I might have one of the dirtiest, scratched up, dinged, and scarred G2 trunk/bed out there so far.
In the truck world, those are pride marks because they are signs that you are using your truck as a truck and not as a status symbol of some sort. :act035:

I thought the Gen2's new SMC bed was scratch proof: https://youtu.be/PNAsXWnFtic?t=4m30s It sounds like you have proven them wrong.

I feel so fortunate that you were so willing to share your great pictures of your new RL before you put her to work. Thank you!

· Premium Member
2,590 Posts
It's an honor to have shared pictures for the community! But it can be noted, that despite the truck being in my hands only a few weeks before the pictures.... the bed already had junk spilled in it.... And there was dirt in the trunk within a few months that I couldn't get out for the trunk shot. LOL.

The scratches on the bed don't turn white like the G1, but they are certainly scratches where things like wire have roughened up the bed! And I'm slowly wearing off the "diamond plate" imprint on the bed surface.

This woman ain't afraid of putting her truck to work! That's what it's for!!! >:)
Thanks for posting the pics Silkie! Looking at them, I wonder if the new tougher SMC bed that Honda touts only applies to the bed floor, not the side panels. The scratches on your side panels look like my 09 RTL. :confused:

· Premium Member
2,590 Posts
I feel like they are the same material... it's not that white in real life, and it's possibly the color of the galvanized coating on the wire that did it. I wash and wax the truck regularly... but never clean the bed. lol

It's not that noticeable from a fuzzy parking garage upside down cell phone picture.
That's enough for me to see what you mean. I think you're right. Thanks for the education Silkie.

· Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Hi - question about your wheels. Are those Pilot wheels and if so what gear/diameter?

Thx
Those rims came on all 2017 RTS trims. That trim, and thus those exact rims, were discontinued when the RTS trim was dropped for the 2018 model year.

The RT and Sport trims share the same rim design as the 2017 RTS but they all have different finishes. The RTS rim's finish is the most shinny/polished looking of the three.

· Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Picked up my cousin's daughter's college stuff from storage and moved it to my garage. There is no telling when she will be allowed back into the dorms to attend school. :cautious:

At least my Ridgeline, my brother, and I got a workout with a full bed with long shelving items in the backseat. I even filled the in-bed trunk with a big heavy wicker trunk and some miscellaneous items. My baby took it all in stride and handled well. Having the high-mount tie down points in the bed and a flat load floor in the second row or real helpful features. Although polarizing, the high sloping bed walls really helped stabilize this load given I had to pack it two layers tall with stuff.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts