Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

581 - 600 of 649 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts

Took the Ridgeline for its first trip to the compost center a few weeks back. Glad I didn't take my trailer like I did with my subaru, as it was packed with folks getting out of the house for free compost. My haulgauge thingy said about 1000lbs for each of two trips I took. Filled 5 wheelbarrows each time. Plus my 3 year old could stick his head out the rear window and bark orders at me while I loaded.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Haul gauge thingy?
HaulGauge | Towing with Tech - Know What You Tow - it's a OBD2 scanner thing that estimates your vehicle weight, payload, tongue weight based on either angle change while loading (tongue weight or payload) or the torque converter slip while accelerating (giving an overall vehicle/vehicle+trailer weight), all shown on an app on your phone.

My first unit didn't work so they sent me a new one that's branded BetterWeigh. They're all owned by Curt. New one works well enough, nice to have an idea of what you just loaded in the bed/trailer or to get a live idea of tongue weight or payload while loading. Turns out I was pretty close when loading firewood in my trailer, but way lighter than expected hauling wood chips and mulch.

Many vehicles have a calibration that Curt did already so you literally plug it in, accelerate to 15 in a straight line and get a weight. The G2 Ridge is pre-calibrated (probably G1 too, not sure).

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
HaulGauge | Towing with Tech - Know What You Tow - it's an OBD2 scanner thing that estimates your vehicle weight, payload, tongue weight based on either angle change while loading (tongue weight or payload) or the torque converter slip while accelerating (giving an overall vehicle/vehicle+trailer weight), all shown on an app on your phone.
Very interesting. Some of this technology is just a little too far advanced for this Luddite to accept. But, to be fair, just 'cause I don't understand it doesn't me it doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
That was 1 year or so ago when I first started to go camping with my Ridgeline.
This is more recent with added roof rack, Yamaha bike rack, side rails added.
This time next year you will be decked out in an "overland" edition. : )

·
Registered
12 Posts

90 bags of mulch (40 lbs per bag), did it over 3 trips with 30 bags per trip. I say 40 lbs, but they were wet, so that could be low. Regardless, she handled it with zero issue. Love my Ridgeline

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
I wanted so bad to use the Ridgeline to haul home 60 cases of water, but I thought better of it and rented a Home Depot flatbed PU. I figured 60 cases of 24 pack 16.8 oz water would have been overloading the Ridgeline. It was a donation for our church.

This is the first time the Ridge let me down. Or maybe, it was the amateur forklift driver who would have destroyed my RL, who made me go in a different direction. I was a little concerned about the pallet of water tipping forward a bit with the Ridgeline and I had to travel around 30 miles through/around Denver traffic.

Water.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I think your Ridgeline would've handled it fine, but I'm with you on not trusting the forklift driver.

1512lbs of water, maybe 20lbs of plastic, and whatever the pallet weighs (30lbs?). Plus whatever junk is in your trunk... :)

·
Registered
2017 White RTL-E
148 Posts
One third of the way there. Everett, WA to Klamath falls, OR so far. 16 to 17 mpg (avg speed 55 to 59 mph). Trailer loaded to the brim and cabin shoved full of stuff too lol. Weighed everything and trailer weight with trailer cargo is close to 4400 lbs. Ridgeline being put to work!

Update: Day 2, made it from Klamath Falls, OR to Truckee, CA. 16.5 mpg so far overall. Ridgeline has been a champ in D4 mode through these mountain passes.

Update: Day 3, made it to Fresno, CA. Overall mpg 17.2. blown away at the mileage work hope loaded the truck was and the mountain passes.

Attachments

581 - 600 of 649 Posts