Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

621 - 640 of 654 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Every time I go to the Depot, they love the tailgate but none of the guys are aware of it. Daughters ordered 36 retaining wall blocks and two bags of crusher base for me to pick up at curbside pickup last week to build a firepit for the bride for Mother's day.. Turns out that a lot more was needed but the daughters get an A for the effort. Didn't take pics but it took two days and several extra trips but the pit is now complete.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Home Depot run and 24 bags of landscaping rocks. Best guestimate is about 1100 pounds. Handled it well and I could actually tell there was some weight back there. While at Home Depot, a guy came by while I was prepping to load and noticed the tailgate in the swing position and said that is nice! Watched him load some boards in the back of his Lincoln pickup truck. I told him it was nice to be able to load and unload with the tailgate that way! Got a similar response from the Home Depot people as they didn’t know the tailgate would do that. All in all, got some compliments on the truck and not a response of it not being a real truck!
Having had a RL for 9 years (Gen1 8.5, Gen2 6 months) I'm so used to those runs, but still appreciate/enjoy them. Our grown kids (4), other family members and a neighbor occasionally borrow "the truck", which we gladly provide.

Question that you can obviously answer, per the pics. I bought an OEM tonneau a few weeks ago, but haven't installed it because I first wanted to fill those channels where water gets in, and then was thinking I have a few dirt runs to make, then install. You had the cover on with the bags in there, and then off for the dirt load. Is it pretty easy to take off when you need to? I've heard that it's not bad, but since you just did it, thought I'd ask.

TIA

·
Registered
235 Posts
Having had a RL for 9 years (Gen1 8.5, Gen2 6 months) I'm so used to those runs, but still appreciate/enjoy them. Our grown kids (4), other family members and a neighbor occasionally borrow "the truck", which we gladly provide.

Question that you can obviously answer, per the pics. I bought an OEM tonneau a few weeks ago, but haven't installed it because I first wanted to fill those channels where water gets in, and then was thinking I have a few dirt runs to make, then install. You had the cover on with the bags in there, and then off for the dirt load. Is it pretty easy to take off when you need to? I've heard that it's not bad, but since you just did it, thought I'd ask.

TIA
Ok, I have a Rugged Liner II trifold liner that I installed. I did see some light issues with opening the trunk due to the rails, but minimum in my experience. I used what @ Phineas recommends to fill the gaps in the front and sides of the tonneau cover. While it is not 100 percent waterproof, it does do the job. I can remove the cover in less than 5 minutes, place it aside (it won’t fit behind the front seats), it does what I need it to do. You may. see some issues with the OEM trifold with some water leakage, but should be minimal. I would use what @phineas wrote about filling the gaps it should take care of most of your issues.
PS.There has not been a lot of discussion about the Rugged Liner II on here. You may have different issues. HTH.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Ok, I have a Rugged Liner II trifold liner that I installed. I did see some light issues with opening the trunk due to the rails, but minimum in my experience. I used what @ Phineas recommends to fill the gaps in the front and sides of the tonneau cover. While it is not 100 percent waterproof, it does do the job. I can remove the cover in less than 5 minutes, place it aside (it won’t fit behind the front seats), it does what I need it to do. You may. see some issues with the OEM trifold with some water leakage, but should be minimal. I would use what @phineas wrote about filling the gaps it should take care of most of your issues.
PS.There has not been a lot of discussion about the Rugged Liner II on here. You may have different issues. HTH.
Oh, I thought you had an OEM cover because I didn't see any rails in the pic. Thanks for the info though. I'll try Phineas' method for filling the gaps - already bought the materials.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,872 Posts
Bill, I sense you may be aware of at least some of what I'm about to post but it's for general consumption.

For what it's worth, the Rugged Liner Premium Hard Folding Tonneau (a.k.a. Rugged Cover II) received a ton of notice on the forums in the older Aftermarket Tonneaus thread that most people don't look at any more because it's so long. But if you use the advanced search tools, you can search "2G Accessories, Performance Parts & Modifications" with a specific-to-tonneaus search term and get a lot of useful information.

Here's a search for the Rugged Liner cover. I was among the first people to buy it on the forums, so I searched for my own posts:

Notice that most of the search results are from the Aftermarket Tonneaus thread (link follows). Advanced search can make quick work of what you need to find there.

Another thing that's heavily documented in that thread is the many problems with the OEM tonneau. So many people on the forums are buying this cover, I feel really bad based on my personal experience with the OEM tonneau and that of many other people here. It has one advantage: no rails. In ever other way it is a poorly designed and manufactured cover. Folks tend to get mad when I try to speak up about it.

Reactions: Bill_R

·
Registered
11 Posts
A few weeks ago I did the math in my head wrong and hauled 2500 lbs of mulch in the bed. Thankfully Lowe’s is only a mile from my house. The truck handled it great.

·
Registered
216 Posts
A few weeks ago I did the math in my head wrong and hauled 2500 lbs of mulch in the bed. Thankfully Lowe’s is only a mile from my house. The truck handled it great.
I once overloaded my 2008 Tundra with a bucket load of sand we needed for the foundation of an antenna tower we were getting ready to pour. It was probably a similar amount of weight or maybe a little more than your load of mulch. It was a probably a lot more scary driving the Tundra. Steering was super light because of the front end rising up so much, but I was careful and took it easy and made it to the destination with no problems at all.

I think there is generally a lot of margin in the safe limits if you are careful with how far you go and how fast you drive. Of course I would not recommend overloading any vehicle, but it is nice to know that you can if you have to.

I feel like the Ridgeline is every bit as capable as my old Tundra except in towing heavy loads. It's hard to beat a big engine and a heavy steel frame for towing. In many other aspects the Ridgeline is much better. If the current Ridgeline was around when I bought my Tundra I would have taken it instead. I didn't need my truck for towing really, mostly just hauling things around in the bed. The towing is just a nice bonus that I used a handful of times.

If the Ridgeline lasts as well as my Tundra did, then I will be very happy with its purchase, but I think Toyota is probably well ahead of Honda in that regard. Time will tell.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hauled ¾ cubic yards of garden soil & everything went well.... EXCEPT & WARNING

The soil was pretty fine and I had to take my tailgate apart to be able to clear all the soil out of the tailgate linkage. Next time I will cover the tailgate end of my truck in plastic to hopefully prevent this issue in the future. Was a PITA, and took longer than unloading the soil by hand.

There was a slight squat on the truck, but other than that it handled like you didn't even know it was there. I still had about 5.5 inches above the tire and upper wheel well which was quit good I felt.

The more I put this truck to the test, the more impressed I am with it~!

Reactions: Kevo

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Yep, cleaning out in-law's garage. There were paneling scraps in there from when the basement family room was finished in 1975, and I'm not making this up.

BTW, like that cargo net - looks easier than strapping the miscellaneous stuff that tends to flop akimbo. Details? TIY

·
Premium Member
3,893 Posts
Yep, cleaning out in-law's garage. There were paneling scraps in there from when the basement family room was finished in 1975, and I'm not making this up.

BTW, like that cargo net - looks easier than strapping the miscellaneous stuff that tends to flop akimbo. Details? TIY
It's a 3'x4' CZC-Auto cargo net - see post #16 in the mattress thread:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
It's a 3'x4' CZC-Auto cargo net - see post #16 in the mattress thread:
Thanks. Ordered one. I use ratchet straps for appropriate objects, but the net should help with lighter & more numerous items. Plus it's very inexpensive & doesn't look like it takes up too much space.

·
Premium Member
3,893 Posts
It comes in a cheap little plastic bag case, if which the zipper promptly broke on me. However, I've just been folding the net up and it hasn't tangled at all.

I haven't used the plastic hooks with it yet, just the carabiners. Combined with the tie-downs in the Ridgeline bed, it's a nice solution for smaller items that you can't really tie down.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nice. Year/model? Is that from the AMF ownership era?
It's a '67 Harley-Davidson M65 Sport. Built in Italy at the old Aermacchi factory that Harley Davidson purchased when they wanted to confront the lightweight motorcycles coming from overseas. It's a companion to my '65 M50 (smallest Harley ever made) that I restored a few years back. I've already started my search for NOS parts to restore '67.

621 - 640 of 654 Posts