Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
881 - 900 of 984 Posts

· Registered
813 Posts
High... and very high for small quantities like I buy.

These are "local" western WA orchard grass bales. 2nd cutting "premium" were $14 each (~$470/ton) and the one 3rd cutting "premium" was $16 (~$540/ton) at the stack in the barn. Bales are ~60lbs. Eastern WA orchard grass, 2nd cutting was ~$570/ton. 2nd cut Alfalfa is ~$660/ton

If I needed (and could store) several tons at a time, hay can be had for half that price... but delivery/stacking isn't included. Like a vending machine... you end up paying a hefty premium for small quantities on the urban side of the mountains. This will last me about 3 weeks if I don't send the lambs to Camp Kenmore soon.

That's great you are having a record grass year. Hopefully you are getting a good price selling hay and the cost of fuel and fertilizer isn't eating up all your margins!
Fuel and Fertilizer are through the roof, but so are crop prices, so it has been a very good year. Just gave my staff each a bonus, for such a good year.
Bad year for buyers, like yourself.
Would you not be better buying rounds, and just peeling off flakes to feed. Rounds are usually much cheaper per ton.
A round should fit great in the ridgeline, i have been hauling some in mine. Just hauled a 1645 lb round in it this morning.

If no tractor at the unload end, put a plastic crazy carpet, or 2, under the back half especially, but whole length is best, of the round, loop a rope around the front of the bale, tie rope off to something secure, and drive out from under it.

· Registered
813 Posts
Ps. Make sure if you use the crazy carpets, you tie the bale in the bed as well. They will not slide out of a box normally, but those crazy carpets make them slide out so easy, a strap is a good safety precaution.

· Registered
1,669 Posts
Would you not be better buying rounds, and just peeling off flakes to feed. Rounds are usually much cheaper per ton.
A round should fit great in the ridgeline, i have been hauling some in mine. Just hauled a 1645 lb round in it this morning.

If no tractor at the unload end, put a plastic crazy carpet, or 2, under the back half especially, but whole length is best, of the round, loop a rope around the front of the bale, tie rope off to something secure, and drive out from under it.
Rounds are way cheaper... but I have no tractor or a good place to put said round. As is, I unload in the driveway and manually cart the bales around the side of the house into the backyard. We are only on an acre in a housing development so options are quite limited when it comes to feeding the outlaws.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,959 Posts
Ha! When I was a kid, we had little round bales, that weighed 2-3x your typical little squares. Those suckers could be heavy! The summer preceding my senior year of high school, I hauled in over 8000 of those things, 120 at a time on the hay wagon.

My dad really liked the little rounds because they were weatherproof, so could be stored outside without a cover, and there was very little waste feeding them to the cattle through the winter.

My brother got a big round baler when he took over the farm. He just sold the little rotobalers at auction. The nice one went for $1600 and the parts one went for $15.

Attachments

· Registered
813 Posts
Ha! When I was a kid, we had little round bales, that weighed 2-3x your typical little squares. Those suckers could be heavy! The summer preceding my senior year of high school, I hauled in over 8000 of those things, 120 at a time on the hay wagon.

My dad really liked the little rounds because they were weatherproof, so could be stored outside without a cover, and there was very little waste feeding them to the cattle through the winter.

My brother got a big round baler when he took over the farm. He just sold the little rotobalers at auction. The nice one went for $1600 and the parts one went for $15.
Sweet!

This last cut the bales averaged 1645 lbs each.
Most is hauled away by semi truck to whomever bought it.
Usually its sold somewhat close, so not too long of hauls, but this year my largest buyer has been a fair ways away, so with many loads to haul, and it taking a day and a half per trip, the trucks get back, reloaded, a fresh driver jumps in, and away it goes again. I myself have delivered many of them, yes I am a fully qualified truck driver.

· Registered
22 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
86 Posts
You guys are killing me with these boards. I gotta get back in the shop.

Meanwhile…hauled a vintage 1960’s cabinet from our storage unit to home. Now installed in our basement “sitting room”, where it will display some antique collectibles and things I have made. Mahogany, very good shape, just needs a coat of wax.

View attachment 429422

View attachment 429423
That is a gorgeous cabinet.

· Registered
644 Posts
Hauled a 20 foot 4X8 using my custom hitch extension
OOOF!

This is why I appreciate a roof rack. With the extender vertical, 20' pipes, boards, etc. span the vehicle length vs. that much overhang and invading the cabin. I'd be uneasy about getting rear-ended and having the windshield punched out. Everyone has their own sense of risk/reward, so good-on-you for getting that home.

· Premium Member
215 Posts
Thirty year old 16f Old Town Canoe, mounted on a partial US Rack, one Yakima round bar, and the Honda Side Rails, held with two NRS boating straps. Forgot the thing was up there after a long drive home at mostly 80mph and (tiredly) backed it into my garage door frame top. It does clear the McDonald's breakfast queue height limit bar though.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
2,321 Posts
Moving ~60lb bales is soo much easier than the 85 or 110lb bales, gives me a false sense of strength. lol.
Hah, you sound like me. Haven't hauled hay, but when I need to set a post (etc.) with bagged concrete I grab the 60# bags now. My back is worth more than the few pennies I would've saved via the 80# bags. Plus my wife doesn't know that - hopefully still thinks I'm a strong dude, lol

· Registered
644 Posts
Mrs. Vlad found this solid cherry Ethan Allen hutch as a leftover from an estate sale in Chicago. Believe it or not, $200. Told her I'd get out of work in the mid-day and go get it.
This is the first time I used this cargo net thing, and it was fantastic for holding the piece rock solid for several hours coming home. Was passed by 3 Gen 1s in windmill territory of northern west Indiana. Good company.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Plant Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Plant Tree Wood Motor vehicle Bag

· Registered
644 Posts
No good deed goes unpunished. After spending 8 hours of my Friday driving around for furniture, then busting my hump getting it into the basement Saturday, I was enticed to grab some unearthed rocks at a new subdivision in the area on Sunday. Needed these for some retaining duty at the Vlad compound. Had some mild off-road fun getting them from the edges of the grade work. Total of three loads like this one. If it wasn't so dark I'd get a pic of the semi-finished product.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle
Tire Wheel Cloud Car Sky

881 - 900 of 984 Posts