Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
901 - 920 of 944 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
@Vlad the Impaler what part of the country are you in? That yellowish wood sure does look like Bois D'arc (Hedge/Osage Orange)
Central Indiana. I'm no expert on wood varieties, so you may be right. I spoke to a guy splitting the pile I drew from, as there were no ricks stacked at the time I arrived. He said Hackberry. These guys fell trees and also clear fence rows for farmers, so could be Osage, as you suggest.

I got to know my North American birds pretty well by spotting and referencing. Knowing I'm weak on tree IDs, I bought a book on trees to do similarly, but somehow it's sat around for a few years and I haven't made use of it. You may have just motivated me to dust it off.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,712 Posts
Osage Orange is a very strong, dense wood - once dried, it's very hard on saw blades and chainsaws. You can hardly pound a nail into it. They used to make fence posts out of it, but had to do so when the wood was freshly cut. On the plus side, it produces some of the best heat per pound of any U.S. species. If that is Osage Orange, you got yourself some excellent firewood.

Native Americans used the wood for making bows, hence the name Bois d'Arc (edit: wood of arc... my French sucks!).

Getting back on topic, hauled a LOT of recyclables to the transfer station the other day. Didn't get a picture, but I would have needed a long-bed mid-size truck to haul everything that I did in this wide bed and trunk.

Need to haul some more tree branches in to recycle this week.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,712 Posts
How about renting a chipper and using the chips for mulch?
I actually own a wood chipper. I already have a pile of wood chips that I made... and wife thinks I spend less time hauling branches to recycle.

OTOH, most of the branches are peach and apple wood, so they would make excellent wood chips.

I need one of those smokeless fire pits. Wife can't handle smoke.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Mrs. Vlad found this solid cherry Ethan Allen hutch as a leftover from an estate sale in Chicago. Believe it or not, $200. Told her I'd get out of work in the mid-day and go get it.
This is the first time I used this cargo net thing, and it was fantastic for holding the piece rock solid for several hours coming home. Was passed by 3 Gen 1s in windmill territory of northern west Indiana. Good company.
Hope you drove fast, having stolen that thing. Give you $230 for it right now, lol.

Been past the windmills many times while driving from here (northern Kentucky) to Chicago. You over in Indy maybe?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Osage Orange is a very strong, dense wood - once dried, it's very hard on saw blades and chainsaws. You can hardly pound a nail into it. They used to make fence posts out of it, but had to do so when the wood was freshly cut. On the plus side, it produces some of the best heat per pound of any U.S. species. If that is Osage Orange, you got yourself some excellent firewood.

Native Americans used the wood for making bows, hence the name Bois d'Arc (edit: wood of arc... my French sucks!).

Getting back on topic, hauled a LOT of recyclables to the transfer station the other day. Didn't get a picture, but I would have needed a long-bed mid-size truck to haul everything that I did in this wide bed and trunk.

Need to haul some more tree branches in to recycle this week.
Here is a table I made for a friend out of Osage orange. Finish is Danish oil.

It is a great wood to work with. I still have a couple of leftover pieces I use for making pens.

Furniture Wood Cat Rectangle Flooring

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,712 Posts
Here is a table I made for a friend out of Osage orange. Finish is Danish oil.

It is a great wood to work with. I still have a couple of leftover pieces I use for making pens.

View attachment 431172
Do you find the wood hard to cut, plane or chisel? I've not personally worked with it, but I imagine it is a bit like Ipe.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Do you find the wood hard to cut, plane or chisel? I've not personally worked with it, but I imagine it is a bit like Ipe.
Well I’m sure it would be hard to chisel, but it was already planed pretty well. Just needed some gentle sanding. And no wood is a match for my 1.75 HP Sawstop saw…

Yes the harder woods have some challenges but so beautiful after finishing…

·
Registered
56 Posts
My RL is for bikes in the back and on the trailer.
Helping a friend move.
He has two of the little Kawasaki 90s, but I could only fit one in the bed - I can't leave the tailgate down with the short drawbar on the Kendon trailer as it would hit the bikes in a turn.
Ducati and MV Augusta on the trailer.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Tomorrow another little 90 and a Multistrada - they will fit in the bed.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Sky

·
Registered
2020 Black Edition
68 Posts
Brought some stuff back from the weekend place. Under the towel is a window A/C unit. All this would normally take us three weekends to bring home piece by piece in our SUV. Sure was nice to get all back at once.
Automotive tire Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Brought some stuff back from the weekend place. Under the towel is a window A/C unit. All this would normally take us three weekends to bring home piece by piece in our SUV. Sure was nice to get all back at once.
View attachment 431574
That's a familiar scene, and the circumstances are similar - ours being a cabin about an hour away. And my trunk typically carries tools, lawn gear, etc., that's not yet duplicated down there. The RL is super handy for handling two properties, including traveling comfortably between.

·
Registered
2020 Black Edition
68 Posts
That's a familiar scene, and the circumstances are similar - ours being a cabin about an hour away. And my trunk typically carries tools, lawn gear, etc., that's not yet duplicated down there. The RL is super handy for handling two properties, including traveling comfortably between.
You summed it up nicely! We have a roughly two hour ride one way which is mostly highway. The RL checked a lot of boxes for comfort and hauling. We’ve had our place for 13+ years and this truck is going to be really helpful. Probably should have gotten one sooner!

901 - 920 of 944 Posts