Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are my sequential transmission oil reports:

Font Parallel Pattern Rectangle Symmetry

34,462 miles: Our viscosity level was found to be 4.90 after this period of time. On it's own not looking too great. Iron levels were also really high making it appear that there is a lot of internal wear going on? On it's own this report was not making things look to good. :(
35,523 miles: I performed a single dump-n-fill which raised the level to 5.21. Using this report stand alone it appears that doing a single dump-n-fill is not very useful. Though, iron levels were reduced significantly, leading me to believe that most of that iron was just from initial breaking in? :cautious:
40,500 miles: After performing two more dump-n-fills, (a total of three), the viscosity was raised substantially to 6.17. Taking this value stand alone it appears that doing multiple dump-n-fills was very beneficial. Also the iron levels reduced even further, making everything look pretty rosy. :)
52,000 miles: Here I performed an analysis on the fluid after 12,000 miles on the triple dump-n-fill and I was “disappointed” to find that the viscosity had already lowered itself back down to 5.21 within this very short time. Plus the iron level creeped up a bit. :cautious:

What becomes obvious over time is that each of these reports standing alone are not very useful and really can lead to making false assumptions. But taken all together I believe I am seeing a story being written. After 35,000 miles our viscosity was down to 4.90, but then brought up to 5.21 after a single dump-n-fill, and then brought up to over 6 by completing a triple dump-n-fill. Looking good! But then look at what happens, after a very short time of around 10,000 miles the viscosity was right back down to around 5, not what I was expecting at all! :unsure:

So far my take-away of this is that yes, doing multiple dump-n-fills significantly raises the fluids condition significantly initially, but with it rapidly returning back to around 5 in such a short period of time makes it appear that any “benefit” is very short lived. (A side note is that another analysis was done by another member using aftermarket AmsOil fluid, and his single report appears to show the same trend.)

With the current data, I believe that It is starting to appear that any woes owners are having with their 6-speed transmissions has little to do with the transmission fluid itself?

What I am waiting on now is when the Maintenance Minder prompts for another fluid change around 70,000 miles, what will the viscosity level be at that time?
If it is has dropped even lower, (significantly below 5), then continuing multiple dump-n-fills may prove to be beneficial. But if it comes back as remaining around 5, then maybe this is just where the 6-speed transmission is simply content and not actually the bad thing we have all been trying to make it out to be?

Anyways, in about 15,000 miles now, when the next transmission fluid change will be prompted, hopefully we can fill in a bit more of this puzzle. We'll also have had added approximately 6,000 miles of heavy towing when that time comes.

Bill

Attachments

· Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was 34k the first time you changed the transmission fluid or the first time you had a report done? Did you do heavy towing in that first 34k?

NM - I found your other post 2019 AT-6 35,000 mile analysis
The first fluid change was at 35,500 miles and there was approximately 6,000 miles of towing on it by that time.
Bill

· Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline Black edition
348 Posts
Really informative 👏
This data is making me believe the 6 speed was really just adapted from the 6 speed manual with some likeness to hondas pedigree in manual motor cycles.

Now we need a test between honda DW1, honda manual atf and HP trans oil

· Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another thing relating to the transmission is even during some pretty strenuous towing, (4800 pounds or so), over several passes at high ambient temps, (nearing 100 degrees F. ), the transmission did get warm, (228 degrees), but that should not be considered overheating if I understand correctly?
Bill

· Registered
103 Posts
Another thing relating to the transmission is even during some pretty strenuous towing, (4800 pounds or so), over several passes at high ambient temps, (nearing 100 degrees F. ), the transmission did get warm, (228 degrees), but that should not be considered overheating if I understand correctly?
Bill
If the fluid never smelt burnt , you did not overheat your transmission

· Administrator
24,879 Posts
This data is making me believe the 6 speed was really just adapted from the 6 speed manual with some likeness to hondas pedigree in manual motor cycles.
This isn't the best or most comprehensive article I've ever stumbled across on the history of Honda automatic transmissions, but...

· Registered
293 Posts
Automatic-Transmission Fluid: What is today’s reality?

"....The import side of the equation is even worse. It seemed as though each manufacturer had to have a different elixir, whether needed or not. One of the most-infamous import brands of fluid is, of course, Honda (Figure 3). For years, rebuilders have had fits with different shift issues with Hondas because of the unique blend of friction material, steel microfinish, calibration and fluid. A deviation of one item and big problems arise...." Transmissiondigest

· Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
"In the end, what works is what counts, so it’s best to buy from someone who stands behind their fluid performance."

No truer words have ever been spoken when it comes to the aftermarket of parts suppliers.

· Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"In the end, what works is what counts, so it’s best to buy from someone who stands behind their fluid performance."

No truer words have ever been spoken when it comes to the aftermarket of parts suppliers.
Honda will repair, or replace, any of their transmissions proven defective while the vehicle is still under warranty, will any of the aftermarket fluid manufacturers do the same?

Bill

· Administrator
24,879 Posts
...will any of the aftermarket fluid manufacturers do the same?
Valvoline, for example, says only that it "stands behind all its products" and directs customers who experience transmission damage while using their Maxlife ATF to call for assistance. I'll let you guess how that conversation would go :)

· Banned
189 Posts
Valvoline, for example, says only that it "stands behind all its products" and directs customers who experience transmission damage while using their Maxlife ATF to call for assistance. I'll let you guess how that conversation would go :)
Probably about as well as an owner with a 4-year-old Ridgeline with a failed transmission calling Honda to tell them they'd used DW1 and followed the Maintenance Minder all its life :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts