Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for tires that have a good ride. Do not use truck off road or for hauling so much as driving to job sites... looking for comfort and good in snow... I'm in NY :(
any recommendations??????

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you are staying with the stock size, are only running one set of tires for summer and winter, want good traction, good handling, good tread life, and a quite ride the OEM Michelin's can not be beat for the RL. If you want to change just one of these factors all the others will suffer.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,433 Posts
I'm in need of new tires as well. What do you all think of the Michelin Premier LTX? TireRack.com gives them a very good review, but...

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
There are other good tires beyond Michelins, and they can be price prohibitive, and in the desert southwest and elsewhere seem to have a bit of a cracking issue. That said I'm on my second set and probably shopping for a third set.

Other tires come to mind, but the names escape me right now, research at all the usual suspects, America's Tire/Discount Tire (a great site sponsor), TireRack, Costco and even the local shop down the road wherever that is. Your profile has no useful info so specific help is impossible as of now.

Good Luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,345 Posts
Firestone destination LE2s are excellent alternative to the OEM Michelins.

I've had two sets of the Mich LTX's, one set of Mich Lattitude tours and a set of the Destinations on the 06 Ridge. All my Michelins developed sidewall cracking prematurely and the LTXs are WAY noisier than the Lattitudes or the Destinations. . .

In about 20k miles of use the Destinations my impression is that they do everything as well as the LTXs (including snow driving) and are worlds quieter. Honda is using them stock on the GenII BTW . . .

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,433 Posts
Firestone destination LE2s are excellent alternative to the OEM Michelins.

I've had two sets of the Mich LTX's, one set of Mich Lattitude tours and a set of the Destinations on the 06 Ridge. All my Michelins developed sidewall cracking prematurely and the LTXs are WAY noisier than the Lattitudes or the Destinations. . .

In about 20k miles of use the Destinations my impression is that they do everything as well as the LTXs (including snow driving) and are worlds quieter. Honda is using them stock on the GenII BTW . . .
Thanks. I find it interesting how Tire Rack creates it's ratings, given the real world experiences from drivers like yourself.

Tires.jpg

·
Registered
285 Posts
Being a car guy I love trying different tires on many vehicles. With the RL the intersection between wear, all weather traction, NVH and MPG is right at the OEM Michelins. You can improve something, but at the cost of another.

Honda really got the tire right when they designed the RL. Tires are usally the quickest way to improve a vehicle from OE performance. The RL bucks that trend.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Have had 2 sets of Michelins and 2 sets of Bridgestones Duelers on my trucks. You can't go wrong with either but I think the Bridgestones are quieter and handle better. More car like ride and held their line better in turns

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
See my post about the General Grabber AT2. I have the 265-65-17 on my Ridge with over 65k miles on them. If you want great on / off road and snow traction, I highly recommend them. Where are you in NY? I lived / worked in Albany for awhile and had Wrangler RTS on my truck (Dodge Dakota) that worked well there. I now live in Central Oregon and our winters can be tough like the Upstate. I've driven off road in fresh pow that was 16" deep with little problem (except the Ridge snow-plowing due to low clearance).

I'm about to buy another set of them, that's how much I like and trust the Grabbers.

·
Registered
579 Posts
There is no "perfect" tire, just the right tire for the given condition IMHO.

Decide your needs: Highway All Season or On/Off Road All-Terrain are two main categories for daily drives.
Next is price levels as Tires are also categorized into Tiers.

Since you live in NY, I would also consider either a dedicated set of winter tires or a tire that has the mountain snowflake symbol.

"The mountain snowflake symbol indicates a winter tire meets the minimum requirements for providing traction in harsh conditions, though some tires exceed the symbol's requirements. You might be wondering why tires marked M+S ('mud' and 'snow'), also known as all-season tires, don't have the severe service symbol."

Food for thought.

Reactions: christianrance

·
Registered
579 Posts
I just bought four Michelin Discover M/S from Costco. We'll see how they hold up.
Cooper makes the Discover.
We have a truck at work that has them. I've only driven it around the plant and not on the highway, but they seemed like a good tire.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I replaced mine with General Grabber STX's on mine Just about a year ago. Quite and comfortable.

·
Registered
320 Posts
See my post about the General Grabber AT2. I have the 265-65-17 on my Ridge with over 65k miles on them. If you want great on / off road and snow traction, I highly recommend them. Where are you in NY? I lived / worked in Albany for awhile and had Wrangler RTS on my truck (Dodge Dakota) that worked well there. I now live in Central Oregon and our winters can be tough like the Upstate. I've driven off road in fresh pow that was 16" deep with little problem (except the Ridge snow-plowing due to low clearance).

I'm about to buy another set of them, that's how much I like and trust the Grabbers.
I've had a similar experience with the Firestone Destination AT's. They've been awesome through the Colorado winters and have a very long tread life. I liked them so much I put them on my wife's Pilot as well.

·
Registered
579 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
when i bought my RL(used) the dealer had put on new set of sears guardsman tires. I figured they were the cheapest and did not plan on having them for long. I now have 60K miles on them and figure to get another 10K. I do mostly street highway driving with about 10% on dirt jobs. Carry a minimum of 200lbs of cargo consistently. I have no complaint about ride or traction but really have nothing to compare. By the way I took RL to Americas Tire(Discount Tire) for rotate and balance and for $30 got lifetime R&B even though not their tires. That's a deal for the mileage I'm getting from these tires. Get R&B about every 5K miles(you do the math). I dont drive in snow here but have had on wet and muddy roads.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The fine print in my Michelin warranty requires the tires to be rotated and pressure checked at least every 7,000 miles and DOCUMENTED for warranty to be valid. Maybe other brands have similar requirements???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts