Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is causing the loud rapid beeping from the rear of the vehicle? I usually hear it after locking and leaving the car so I assume it's warning me the key fob is locked in the trunk. Today it sounded after I drove away. I also accessed the trunk so I am assuming this is some kind of lockout warning, but why did it sound after I drove away?

I searched but didn't see any posts probably because I'm not describing this correctly. The owner's manual doesn't mention rapid beeping but, rather, some nondescript outside alert tone of some kind.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
What is causing the loud rapid beeping from the rear of the vehicle? I usually hear it after locking and leaving the car so I assume it's warning me the key fob is locked in the trunk. Today it sounded after I drove away. I also accessed the trunk so I am assuming this is some kind of lockout warning, but why did it sound after I drove away?

I searched but didn't see any posts probably because I'm not describing this correctly. The owner's manual doesn't mention rapid beeping but, rather, some nondescript outside alert tone of some kind.
No dash warnings?

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No dash warnings?
Yeah, there aren't, and it's happened to me about a dozen times since I took delivery of the vehicle in February.

I'm almost certain it's a "hey, you left the fob in the trunk" warning since when it happens it's because I was either in the trunk or stood next to the rear of the vehicle for more than a few seconds (loading stuff into the back seat). The owner's manual doesn't describe this alert well enough and when it sounded while I drove away it made me curious enough to post here at the risk of someone yelling at me again to "use the forum search function."

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Only time I hear it is if i get out of the vehicle with the engine running. As expected.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I did this the other day for the first time during a heavy rain trying to run away quick after parking. I forgot to push the stop/start button to turn off the engine and it beeped crazy and would not lock. I was standing in pouring rain pushing the outside of the door smart lock button then on my remote several times with nothing working. I got back in thinking I didn't put it in park. Nope, I just never turned it off. Needless to say I felt dumb and I was soaked. :wink:

·
Registered
154 Posts
You either left your key fob in the truck, or you left the truck in accessory mode.

·
Registered
2 Posts
depending on if you actually pressed the LOCK key after you left the truck, if the truck is turned off, it's notifying you that the auto lock feature is temporarily turned off because it can not locate the keyfob ... probably from the signal from fob being blocked by your phone in your pocket ... if the truck is turned on, and you're standing at the trunk, it's as mentioned before, it's just letting you know that the key is no longer in the truck and if you drive away without the fob being back in the truck, you might be outta luck

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,873 Posts
depending on if you actually pressed the LOCK key after you left the truck, if the truck is turned off, it's notifying you that the auto lock feature is temporarily turned off because it can not locate the keyfob ... probably from the signal from fob being blocked by your phone in your pocket ... if the truck is turned on, and you're standing at the trunk, it's as mentioned before, it's just letting you know that the key is no longer in the truck and if you drive away without the fob being back in the truck, you might be outta luck
If you have walkaway autolock enabled, you get the annoyingly loud rapid beep sound because you walked away from the truck too quickly and it lost track of you. It needs to know you're in range for a couple of seconds (first beep) so that it can notice that you're no longer in range a couple of seconds later (second beep), whereupon it locks the doors. I keep my key fob in my right front pocket. Depending upon which direction I'm walking in, my body sometimes shields the fob from being detected. What I have found, and I'd be grateful for better information, is that you can make the sound stop by opening and closing the door again. Unless the dealer changes it, I believe that new RTL-T and up Ridgelines come with walkaway autolock enabled. You can defeat it in the settings. To avoid hearing the sound from walkaway autolock, one thing that works is just pause for a second as the door closes. Frustrating I know, but that works.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Think Phineas nailed it. It’s telling you the auto lock didn’t work. My ridge line will do this on rare occasion. My wife’s CRV does it more often. Just hit lock button on fob.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Think Phineas nailed it. It’s telling you the auto lock didn’t work. My ridge line will do this on rare occasion. My wife’s CRV does it more often. Just hit lock button on fob.
It still doesn't explain the part where it make the sounds while he drove away though. :confused: ... I've experienced the rapid beeps (like we ALL do occasionally)...but never while vehicle is in motion. :surprise:

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,873 Posts
It still doesn't explain the part where it make the sounds while he drove away though. :confused: ... I've experienced the rapid beeps (like we ALL do occasionally)...but never while vehicle is in motion. :surprise:
Agreed. And @northernlights is right about the fob in the trunk too. I'm guessing the OP is trying to keep a "spare" set of keys in the trunk? Whatever the reason, that's the likely cause of the beeping while he's driving away. To avoid crazy frustration, you need to shield any second key fob in a Farraday container of some sort. You can get them inexpensively on Amazon. But it's not a good idea to leave a spare key fob in the vehicle at all.

Reactions: GreginJaxFL

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline
18 Posts
I have checked all doors and windows and everything is OK. Any suggestions on this issue.

·
Registered
74 Posts
is your key fob in your pocket? It's probably warning you that it lost connection with it.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
973 Posts
Yeah just turn of the engine before exiting.

If you have to hop out to do "something" like open a gate across the road don't close the driver's door and it wont' beep.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts