Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone describe to me what Honda Care is, and is it just a tool for the Dealers to increase their Profits at the moment you are completing your purchase, or does it really provide additional protection that is worth the added OTD cost. What about a program paid for up front that includes a number of Oil Changes for a certain number of years.

I have just agreed on OTD price on a 2019 RTL with a Dealer 60 miles away. Deposit handled Electronically to bring it to the lot. I have seen a few references on here to the above, and envision that when I go in to conduct the final transaction, sign papers, pick the vehicle up, etc, that their Business Office will attempt to spring these on me. Do they actually add Value? Opinions?

·
Administrator
14,930 Posts
Can anyone describe to me what Honda Care is, and is it just a tool for the Dealers to increase their Profits at the moment you are completing your purchase, or does it really provide additional protection that is worth the added OTD cost. What about a program paid for up front that includes a number of Oil Changes for a certain number of years.

I have just agreed on OTD price on a 2019 RTL-T with a Dealer 60 miles away. Deposit handled Electronically to bring it to the lot. I have seen a few references on here to the above, and envision that when I go in to conduct the final transaction, sign papers, pick the vehicle up, etc, that their Business Office will attempt to spring these on me. Do they actually add Value? Opinions?
Personally, I don't buy extended warranties because the odds are not in your favor. They exist primarily as an extra revenue stream for manufacturers and dealers, but do provide peace of mind for owners.

A Honda Care warranty is the closest thing you'll get to the factory "bumper-to-bumper" warranty. It's an "exclusionary" warranty meaning that everything except what is specifically listed as excluded is covered. Some warranties cover only what they specifically state is included.

Most Honda dealers typically charge two to three times what you can buy a Honda Care warranty for through one of several online dealers who sell it at or near cost (they rely on volume bonuses to make a profit rather than individual sales). Many dealers also push third-party warranties instead of Honda Care warranties because of the higher profit. Some dealers flat out refuse to sale a Honda Care warranty.

One advantage of the Honda Care warranty is that it provides for a loaner for covered repairs. The standard warranty does not - it's up to individual dealers as to whether or not you get a loaner.

Honda Care does NOT cover maintenance. The separate Honda Sentinel plan covers oil changes.

Chances are you'll never need an extended warranty, but if you're going to buy one, get a genuine Honda Care warranty and either buy it online or see if your dealer will match their price (the probably won't).

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,736 Posts

I have just agreed on OTD price on a 2019 RTL-T with a Dealer 60 miles away. Deposit handled Electronically to bring it to the lot. I have seen a few references on here to the above, and envision that when I go in to conduct the final transaction, sign papers, pick the vehicle up, etc, that their Business Office will attempt to spring these on me. Do they actually add Value? Opinions?

In basic layman's term, it is a way of the dealership raping you with your cloths on and you dont event know it.
Honestly, if a vehicle did not come with it off the assembly line when built, you do not have to have it. The extra protection crap is just a scare tactic. Fully understand your Honda basic warranty coverage, work within those limits and make sure, when a problem arises, you stand firm. As Zroger mentioned, it is unnecessary and you get over charged by the finance guy. When a problem arises, the service adviser and the service manager will do their best to do the least and keep you coming back..... all in the hopes that you will give up, cough up a S*$T ton of money to get the issue fixed.

My recommendation is to up your coverage limits on your insurance policy and have a piece of mind, if you are nervous.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I think if you intend to keep your car beyond 5 years they are worth a look. If you are interested, check out Saccucci and Hyannis. They will have sample contracts for you to read. They usually have the best internet prices and see if your dealer will match. It's a debatable topic with many pros and cons so its up to you. I always get HondaCare because the peace of mind is priceless. I always budget an extra 2k for snow tires and wheels and a protection plan on new Hondas. I lost on some and won big time on others. Honda quality has been going downhill for years now and considering dealer labor rates and insane markups on parts and the tech on these cars I believe there is much more upside than downside. Also, I think dealers are incompetent crooks that have many approaches to dealing with problems but if you have HondaCare, it cuts through all the upsell BS. Where HondaCare comes short, is that it only covers failed parts, (not tires and batteries or normal wear and tear) not assembly failures so if you have an intermittent problem or a problem that you don't get fixed in due time under a TSB, you aren't going to get cost free fix. Also, Hondacare is prorated and transferable so if you get rid of the vehicle before the contract expiration you get some money back.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,135 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Extended warranties (and insurance to some extent) are gambling. What are the chances you will need it? When you need it, what would the repairs have cost? What does the extended warranty cost?

In '99 I bought a GMC Yukon with an extended warranty. At the time, I paid $1500 for it. At 90,000 miles I replaced the transmission, which would have been $2500. At 92,000 miles, I replaced the rear end, which would have been $1500. I never did the math on the interest, but I think I came out ahead.

·
Administrator
14,930 Posts
Extended warranties (and insurance to some extent) are gambling. What are the chances you will need it? When you need it, what would the repairs have cost? What does the extended warranty cost?

In '99 I bought a GMC Yukon with an extended warranty. At the time, I paid $1500 for it. At 90,000 miles I replaced the transmission, which would have been $2500. At 92,000 miles, I replaced the rear end, which would have been $1500. I never did the math on the interest, but I think I came out ahead.
The mistake there wasn't buying an extended warranty, it was buying a GM. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks gang, this is tremendously valuable. There's nothing I hate more than doing all the research, going in to buy the car and expecting to pay X, only to sit through the pitch about paying a gazillion MORE dollars to make sure that if I get a door ding, I'm covered.

That being said, I made good use of the extended warranty on my Sorento, with some major engine and electronics repairs around the 95k mark. And yes, I realize I'm in an even worse boat with that car than rlobrecht is with his Yukon :)

·
Administrator
14,930 Posts
Aren't there different lengths of terms? Can you provide more detail & where online your purchased? Thanks
Everything you could ever want to know about Honda Care can be found in the thread below.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts