Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

What is the difference between running boards, and side steps :confused:
I was thinking of getting the side moulding, but either of these look like they would help prevent parking lot door hits, and they help when you need to reach the roof. So is there any major difference other than the style, and are they color matched or just black. Trevor may know the answer to the last part.

Also Trevor, will you be carrying the bed rails alone, seems that they used to be listed but got taken off when the tonneau did.

Thanks

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I am probably going to get the running boards only because they are black and the truck I am waiting for is going to be black.

I think that both items will accomplish the same goal. Just with a different look.

·
2,346 Posts
What are you referring to when you say "rails?"

I saw a Ridgeline at my local dealership yesterday that had the running boards and the roof rack installed.

I did not see one with the side steps.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zero,

The rails appear to be the same thing that is used with the Tonneau Cover. They run down either side of the bed so that they are just below the top of the side. They could when the cover is not on be used to tie stuff with some T-nuts. If you look at the Tonneau cover install, picture everything but the cover.

I just picked up an accessories guide for the Ridgeline, and they still have them listed, that just got to the dealer yesterday, so who knows.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I tested an RTL that had the running boards. They looked great, but every time I stepped out of the vehicle, I stumbled over them. I was going to get them but changed my mind. I think they will just get in the way.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good to hear some Pro's & Con's on the running board because I was thinking the same thing about getting them and installing them myself. Accord to VERTRKR, there is a special tool for the nuts. Even more to take into consideration.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm going to be getting the ones that hide and only come out when you open and close the door

·
2,346 Posts
Monsterdog,
You can't just drop a bomb like that and not tell us more about these running boards! :D

Do you have a link where there is more info?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Those are found on the Navigator and Aviator. Pretty slick--anybody gonna try and retrofit those to an RL?! Now THAT would be trick!

Aloha,
Keoni

·
Registered
171 Posts
I chose the running boards (no plastic/all aluminum) on my blue nav. The aluminum color looks great and "ties in" the color of the wheels.

The side steps are aluminum that is completely covered in black plastic. I did not like this as plastic fades in florida, something else to wipe down when washing and would show more dirt.

One of the dealer brochures shows a picture of the running boards on a green ridge.

I also thought the "boards" had a better "grip" when stepping on them.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
I installed a set of factory running boards on my wife's Pilot. It took me about 2 hours and I take my time with everything. We chose the running boards because the main driver is a woman. Her feet are small and she wears heels at times. The running boards have a lot more tread area than the side steps. I don't like them as they get in the way and get dirty quickly, but it's not my vehicle. I saw a set on the Ridgeline and they look like the same item as the Pilot item.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The running boards are the black rubber-coated ones.
Note: They fit perfectly and are actually LIGHTER than the silver side steps. If it matters to you, they are about 1" lower to the ground on the step area then the silver side steps. These look more like a factory installed option than an add-on.

The side steps are the silver ones that are painted to look like raw aluminum.
Note: These are rough-textured, so they may hold dirt (like the red dirt here in Hawaii that stains everything). These look more like an after-market part than a stock factory item, but it does add a custom look that some may prefer.

Conclusion: I ended up getting the black running boards, as they appear to be easier to maintain in regards to keeping them clean. And they really look like they should have been on the car from the factory.

Aloha,
Keoni

·
Registered
57 Posts
Keoni.... I agree. They look factory and finish off the raw edge look! :D

Keoni said:
The running boards are the black rubber-coated ones.
Note: They fit perfectly and are actually LIGHTER than the silver side steps. If it matters to you, they are about 1" lower to the ground on the step area then the silver side steps. These look more like a factory installed option than an add-on.

The side steps are the silver ones that are painted to look like raw aluminum.
Note: These are rough-textured, so they may hold dirt (like the red dirt here in Hawaii that stains everything). These look more like an after-market part than a stock factory item, but it does add a custom look that some may prefer.

Conclusion: I ended up getting the black running boards, as they appear to be easier to maintain in regards to keeping them clean. And they really look like they should have been on the car from the factory.

Aloha,
Keoni

·
Registered
274 Posts
Not in the way if you use as a tool to enter or exit your Ridge. Also love those large ingenious interior door pulls (barn door handles.) Now this may sound far fetched. "But it works" Use these plus the Running Boards or Side Steps to ENTER or EXIT your Ridge (great tools.) I've got the RB just my 02 better stone chip protection for the Rocker Panels versus the SS no gap or void.
1. Open drivers door, left hand on the door pull and the right hand on the steering wheel and your left foot on the RB or SS and your right foot still on ground level.
2. Now pull yourself up with the right hand and at the same time pivot on your right foot to the toes.
3. Now all your weight is on the left foot, put your right foot all the way in, now you can plop yourself straight down on the seat. (Tilt of steering wheel or your height could be a factor)
4. ADVANTAGE a lot less wear and tear on your seat fabric as you are not continually sliding across the material or you knee hitting and turning on the headlight switch. A some what simular strategy can be used to exit. What I'am trying to say here use these tools to your advantage.
AHart said:
I tested an RTL that had the running boards. They looked great, but every time I stepped out of the vehicle, I stumbled over them. I was going to get them but changed my mind. I think they will just get in the way.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The side steps will be taken off my black Ridge.I just decided that they don't look good on black.I think that I will replace them with black running boards when the price goes down a bit.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Bigtars, when you take them off, post them on the Trade section. I am sure someone will buy them! Then you can recoup some of your money for the running boards.

I ended up going to a local body shop and got the Honda running boards cheaper (installed too) then I would have at the dealer. So if you have someone nearby may wanna consider it. They get their price of wholesale and may be able to pass the savings. I paid $450 installed/tax/etc...

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Running boards or side steps will not help with parking lot dings/scratch's as they mount below the rocker panels. But the running boards will protect the underside of your rocker pnls. from dings and such, and the black really highlights any color RL. Personaly I have running boards on my "BLUE" RL and they are alot more stylish than the steps, and give a wider platform to stand. They help out alot when reaching roofrack and aide (verticaly challanged people) in washing windshield. I also want to get side moldings as I already have a scratch in my passangers door. I have seen the clear film and while this will protect for scratch's it will not stop dings/dents. I'm hopeing the moldings will come down in price. These are something that should be stock on all RL's.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Bigguy - These are something that should be stock on all RL's.

You got that right. Buy a $35K truck and then you gotta spring for door guards? That's just plain stupid on Honda's part if you ask me.....but I am gonna buy some soon......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts