Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about the most unusual Item you have had to haul in your truck.
Mine was a 6' tall lighthouse that I bought for my wife to have at the cabin. I had to haul it twice. When I bought it and then when we sold the cabin I had to bring it back home.
The lighthouse is put away in the garage for winter and I can't find a picture of it. It sure is bright and reflectors on the light turn around in a circle.

Registered
Not the Ridgeline, but back in the late 70's / early 80's a friend had a big male lion as a pet, it would lie chained up on the toolbox across the front of the box of my pickup. Believe me, we got lotsa looks and even caused an accident or two, but luckily no fatalities!

Bill

Registered
A vigorously healthy large adult skunk o_O

Yes, a wild one ( 'fully functional' ) :oops:

In a ~30 gallon garbage can (MT except for the visitor)

No, I didn't put it in the can (it put itself there)

I did put the lid on the can for transport

Yes, it scurried-away without stopping to 'anoint' anything when we reached a suitable location for release (the whole episode was essentially 'odor free')

Not my RL, about 10 years ago, but it was my F150.

Life in the country is never dull ! (y) :LOL:

Registered
I鈥檝e transported wild raccoons (in cage trap) 10+ times. Caught several that were rolling up sod in my yard - done almost perfectly.....looked like green shag carpets! Also caught 3-4 off father-in-law鈥檚 roof, and also a possum.

Developed my own scaredy-cat method for releasing the critters: tied rope to the trap handle/release lever, sat in the truck cab & pulled the rope to release the 鈥榗oon. Worked great!

Premium Member
A vigorously healthy large adult skunk o_O

Yes, a wild one ( 'fully functional' ) :oops:

In a ~30 gallon garbage can (MT except for the visitor)

No, I didn't put it in the can (it put itself there)

I did put the lid on the can for transport

Yes, it scurried-away without stopping to 'anoint' anything when we reached a suitable location for release (the whole episode was essentially 'odor free')

Not my RL, about 10 years ago, but it was my F150.

Life in the country is never dull ! (y) :LOL:
I've had a skunk in my Ridgeline bed. A skunk family was under my deck so we got the trap and moved two about 10 miles away over a couple of days. Threw a blanket over the trap and placed it on the bed to re-locate. We laughed at how luck we were not to get sprayed. A couple of possums also.

Premium Member
I've also trapped and relocated several armadillos and raccoons who were damaging my lawn and bird feeders.

I volunteer for a local no-kill cat shelter and I've transported about a dozen cats in pet carriers across town (30mph max) in the bed with the BakFlip cover closed 2/3 of the way. Had another 6 carriers in the back seat and a few in the passenger seat as well.

Most of the time I'm hauling more mundane things like building materials, furniture and shrubs/trees/pine straw.

Registered
My grandson caught a turkey chick so I put it in a pet taxi and hauled it in the back of the Ridge to his house.

Premium Member
Rattlesnakes. As a seasonal US Park Ranger in Northern California, the Rangers were tasked with relocating rattlesnakes when we were notified by park users or maintenance staff of their presence in the public use areas. We used long handles snake grippers and a covered five-gallon bucket. I was always more uncomfortable releasing them than capturing them. That whole summer, no Ranger, park user or rattlesnake was harmed during the relocation program.

Registered
Not unusual, but probably the lamest thing...
Not in my Ridegline, but in my Nissan Frontier. It was my first brand new vehicle. A 2007 Frontier.
It was also my first truck I have owned. One of the first things I drove home in my brand new truck was Chinese food take out from the local restaurant.
I wanted to keep that new truck smell as long as possible and I didn't want to taint it with ginger beef and fried squid.
So yeah, 2 bags of Chinese food takeout in the box of my truck.
NOTE: I did not use tie-downs.

Premium Member
I hauled a pallet of valet parking tickets back in 2010 in my G1. This is before I was 'educated' on payload. from the math of it and weighing each box and the total number of boxes, the total payload on the truck was around 2100lbs. Total distance traveled was around 50 miles and the front was very skiddish and the front suspension was severely unloaded and had little to no steering feel. Promptly unloaded that and was petrified for about a month if I had broken anything. Then I went back to towing a 3500lb trailer for about 5 years and around 40 times a year. Still have my truck :)

The lessons we learn through our sheer ignorance and stupidity.

Registered
Just moved a 1940's Mills Chrome Diamond Front Slot Machine from my mother-in-law's in Lake Tahoe over the hill to my house in Nevada. Heavy sucker - weighed more that I thought it would.

Registered
A juvenile black bear. Someone left a bag of trash in my truck bed overnight as they were leaving a party. I heard noises at about 2:30 am, went to look, flipped on the light outside, and there it was. Looked at me with those beady eyes and that pointy snout. I yelled. It hopped out and sauntered away. Truck bed had black hairs and stunk for a while.

Registered
I was thinking about the most unusual Item you have had to haul in your truck.
Mine was a 6' tall lighthouse that I bought for my wife to have at the cabin. I had to haul it twice. When I bought it and then when we sold the cabin I had to bring it back home.
The lighthouse is put away in the garage for winter and I can't find a picture of it. It sure is bright and reflectors on the light turn around in a circle.
I Know this is an older post but I thought I'd mention the time my brother in law got drunk and fell into some; well let's just say he didn't smell good. And even though he's not an inanimate object that is the most unusual item I've had to haul.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts