Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Newbie Hawaii here.. Every time I go to fill up I wait till that E light comes on to get an Idea how much gas mileage Im getting.....Really hard to get accurate MPG because I Go to fill it up and It alway fills with 16.5-17.9 Gallons depending on time of day. And I dont recall reaching 300 miles on that.....Factory puts out the most youll get in one tank is 460miles.....Does it mean I can drive 160 miles past my E light....I dont think so but maybe....Thats why I wanna know if anyone has this same type experience.....Im bout to run it to empty once to know what it can do.[/ :) FONT][/SIZE]

·
Registered
275 Posts
In case you are unaware (sorry for the lengthy explanation if you are)...
Take a pen/pencil and note/sticky pad in your truck (place for the pen in the clip under the lid of the center console). Fill up until it's full and reset your "trip" odometer. THEN, the next time you get gas (don't have to wait until you are on "E", I usually fill up at just under 1/4 tank) write down the mileage reading on your trip odometer (ex. 300miles) AND the amount of gas you put in (ex. 15.3 gal.) to fill up from the pump. Then, simply divide the amount of miles (300) by the number of gallons of gas you put in (15.3) and there you have it. In this example you would have gotten:
300/15.3=19.6 MPG.
I fill this info into a spreadsheet I put together to keep a running average of lots of info to see the effects of brands of gas and weather on on my MPG.

·
Registered
578 Posts
if I fill up when it first comes on, usually about 18. I've waited till it got clsoer tot he E and filling up with over 20 mpg.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
I filled up to 20 gallons at 323.4 miles when the 'E' light was on.

·
Registered
218 Posts
twinjogger said:
My family always fills up at 1/2 tank. We always want gas in the tanks in case of an emergency.
I'm with you. The cost of hauling around a little extra gas is more than compensated for by the peace of mind. Plus, running out gas is very unkind to the fuel pump, etc. How would you like to have been in New Orleans with the fuel tank on empty? I think that may be how many people got into a world of hurt. End of the month, no gas money, tank empty, hello, superdome.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I generally take it down till the light comes on in the Hybrid and just below a quarter tank in the Ridgeline. With the Hybrid that can be another 80 to 100 miles left, in the Ridgeline I would just be too nervous because I don't yet have a feel for how many miles I will commonly get from a gallon to guess at how far I can really go on a tank.

·
Registered
140 Posts
When I filled up on my last tank my gas gauge was at the bottom half to the red empty line. It took 20.1 gallons to fiill my tank.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Im bout to run it to empty once to know what it can do.
Running out of gas on a fuel injected engine is not a good idea. And, as was pointed out, you don't need to run out to calculate your MPG. For a more accurate average, start your trip meter at a fillup and let it run for 3 or more fillups, keeping track of the total gallonage used. Then divide the total mileage by the total gallons.

I usually fill up somewhere between 1/4 full and before the light comes on if I'm not in unfamiliar country.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you have a NAVI there is a calculator there, 350/18.3=19.1 mpg was my last fill (lights turning on and off).

·
Registered
180 Posts
hi Redridge,

Navi system is not available in Alaska and Hawaii. The only Navi system in Hawaii is for the Acura RL. So we dont have Navi. Hoping Honda will tell Alpine to release the code for the Ridgeline soon.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
hawaiiridgeline said:
Im bout to run it to empty once to know what it can do.[/[/SIZE] :) FONT][/SIZE]

BTW - FYI

If you drive until you see the little yellow/orange light come on by the "E" on the fuel gauge you have 3 gallons left in the tank.

If you know your average MPG you can multiply it by 3 and know how far you can go until your hitchhiking.

Example 19.5 MPG x 3 = 58.5 miles till your walking.

Little light is a nice feature, I use it alot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts