Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading some other forums and reviews, I realized that the RL is being compared both to midsize pickups (Nissan Frontier, Chevy Colorado, Toyota Tacoma, Dodge Dakota) and to full size pickups (Ford F-150, Chevy Silverado, Toyota Tundra, Dodge Ram, Nissan Titan). To me, the comparisons to full size trucks are unfair; the RL was never meant to be a full-blown work truck with a huge, torquey V-8, full size bed, the ability to become a rock crawler, 9000 lbs towing capacity, etc., but some folks still put the RL in the same class. I guess the RL is slightly larger than some of the other midsize trucks, especially the width. To add to the confusion, some don't even compare the RL to trucks, but to SUVs.

When you purchased the RL, what other trucks were you looking at? Did you get the RL in place of a full size pickup, or a midsize, or a SUV? I myself was looking at the midsize trucks (mostly the Toyota Taco). But it seems others were looking at full size trucks before getting the RL.

Maybe it's one of those cars that doesn't fit a neat category.

BTW, I love the comments I've seen on some Mopar and Ford sites that say RL owners are posers. Gotta love that, coming from F-350 Dualie Turbodiesel owners who don't haul anything more than a weeks worth of groceries. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
774 Posts
this was the only truck I seriously considered (gave the Tundra a fleeting look). It was either the Ridgeline or an SUV. In the end, we picked the Ridgeline- it's like an SUV with a hole in the back :D
 

·
Green With Envy Moderator
Joined
·
2,346 Posts
As far as crew cab pick-ups go, I was looking at the Nissan Frontiers for a few years and I really liked the 2005 changes. Then I saw the Ridgeline and never looked back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
We replaced an Acura MDX with the Ridgeline. Loved the MDX's ride and quality, but were using it more like a truck with the stuff we were hauling in it. We were starting to lean toward the Tundra, but then Honda stepped into the picture. We had to get past the Ridgeline's "different" look at first, but as the salesman promised, it grew on us. And now we believe we have the best of both worlds -- Honda ride and quality, and the functionality of a truck bed, not to mention the trunk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
I'm curious -- is the new Mitsubishi truck considered a competitor?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The Mitsubishi Raider is touted as a midsize (a la Taco, RL, etc.). Here are some of the specs:

  • towing capacity = 6500 lbs.
  • V6 or V8
  • 2WD, 4WD or AWD
  • Seating for 6
  • 1700 lbs bed capacity
  • 40 cu ft bed
  • top of the line double cab V8 4WD costs $33,000+

Seems nice, but it is a traditional truck (ladder frame, cab, etc.) and Mitsu has had some SERIOUS quality problems the last few years.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,825 Posts
denvrfan said:
It was either the Ridgeline or an SUV. In the end, we picked the Ridgeline- it's like an SUV with a hole in the back :D
Same here. I had no intention of buying a truck but when I went to look at the Pilots, the Ridgeline refused to be ignored. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
I looked at the Frontier, Colorado, Ranger, SportTrac, Tacoma and briefly at the Highlander and Escape (both hybrid versions only). I quickly decided I wanted a Crew Cab which dropped the Ranger off the list, then the Sport Trac dropped due to the bad environmental ratings it has. I test drove a the other trucks and that about did it. The Frontier was okay but seemed a little more bouncy than I wanted. The Tacoma was the smallest of the bunch interior wise, especially in the back seats, not to mention they were at an uncomfortable angle. The Colorado surprisingly was the second choice vehicle on my list when it came to features at a price point it couldn't be beat. But the general consensus on the net seem to be that the Colorado isn't a very good vehicle so with a little prodding from my wife and a little hammering on our poor bank account we bought the Ridgeline.

Really there was a lot more that went into it but that is the basics so again this is the list of vehicles we looked at for replacing my Subaru Forester in order of preference:
Honda Ridgeline
GMC Canyon (yes there are a few design differences)
Chevy Colorado
Toyota Tacoma
Nissan Frontier (should have been higher on the list but the salesman was awful)
Toyota Highland Hybrid
Ford Escape Hybrid

The others don't even rate on my list. And Dodge was left out because I don't like the overly aggressive look of their trucks. We didn't look at them at all, and I still haven't looked at one. Full sized trucks weren't an option as we have a short driveway and the Ridgeline aready puts the car a little further back than I would like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
I thought about getting an Avalanche but after driving one it seemed too large of a vehicle for me. I then watched the crash video after driving it and it scared me how crappy the protection was. I don't want to start about GM and all the recalls they have. I eventually got a RTL w/ SR after using the internet to do research and I love it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
We looked at the Pilot, Avalanche (a nice ride, but poor fuel economy, no side airbags and poor safety ratings), Tundra (WAY too long) and Tacoma (uncomfortable with a really bouncy ride).

We wanted something safe, with lots of passenger room. It seems as though, before the RL, you sacrificed passenger space for a smaller bed and and with more passenger space you were stuck with a giant bed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,225 Posts
"Cooooool truck, man! It looks like Darth Vader's truck!"
-Cameron Kim, 7 years old

Out of the mouths of babes! He's right. I knew the grill looked familiar, but I couldn't quite place it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
steveberger said:
"Cooooool truck, man! It looks like Darth Vader's truck!"
-Cameron Kim, 7 years old

Out of the mouths of babes! He's right. I knew the grill looked familiar, but I couldn't quite place it.
It would have been better if the truck were black, instead of blue...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
578 Posts
I'm a Honda guy. Heck, even my riding mower is powred by Honda.
We are having a house built right now... so it made sense to step into a truck.
Timing was just right... Honda came out with a truck, we didn't even look at any other trucks. I've enough experience with other trucks to know that the Ridgeline offers exactly the package I needed. It's a Honda to boot. So that was that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
First, it takes me a very long time to buy a new vehicle - from the time I start and actually buy averages about 6 months. I keep my "daily drivers" an average of 7 years. I fell in love with Honda when I bought a new, off the showroom floor '90 CRX si. What a great car that was. Seven years later when it became necessary to have a truck, I would have bought a Honda if they had one. So, I ended up with a new '97 Mazda B4000SE. I still have it (a niece is driving it now whilst I tinker on her '64 1/2 Mustang) and it has been a very reliable vehicle. I started looking late last summer for something new. I looked at everything - the redesigned F150, Ranger (which was nearly identical to my Mazda, just new), Avalanche (briefly), Colorado, Tacoma, Tundra... except Dodge - I've never been a Dodge man. I even looked at SUV's - from a Ford Escape to a BMW X3. There were some I liked pretty well, but nothing that, I don't know, spoke to me. I was about to give up and just go with the X3 when I caught wind of the RL. I immediately signed up on Honda's website for updates and began researching it to death. When I finally heard some dealers were putting names down for first shipments, I called a local dealer and got on the list. I hadn't been excited like this about buying a new vehicle in a very long time - I was driving everyone around me crazy.

I took delivery March 22 - one of the very first in Denver and the first red one in Denver according to the dealer. It was several months before I saw another on the road, now I'm seeing them at least once or twice a week. I love this truck to death and unless something really changes, I will get a new one in about 7 years :D

My best friend, a long time BMW owner, wants one, and asks to drive it often. My mom, sister, and brother-in-law want one. My neighbor wants one. I have never seen a response to any one vehicle like I have this one.

So, as far as competition... I just don't see anything that comes even close. It really is in a class by itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
milehigh said:
First, it takes me a very long time to buy a new vehicle - from the time I start and actually buy averages about 6 months. I keep my "daily drivers" an average of 7 years. I fell in love with Honda when I bought a new, off the showroom floor '90 CRX si. What a great car that was. Seven years later when it became necessary to have a truck, I would have bought a Honda if they had one. So, I ended up with a new '97 Mazda B4000SE. I still have it (a niece is driving it now whilst I tinker on her '64 1/2 Mustang) and it has been a very reliable vehicle. I started looking late last summer for something new. I looked at everything - the redesigned F150, Ranger (which was nearly identical to my Mazda, just new), Avalanche (briefly), Colorado, Tacoma, Tundra... except Dodge - I've never been a Dodge man. I even looked at SUV's - from a Ford Escape to a BMW X3. There were some I liked pretty well, but nothing that, I don't know, spoke to me. I was about to give up and just go with the X3 when I caught wind of the RL. I immediately signed up on Honda's website for updates and began researching it to death. When I finally heard some dealers were putting names down for first shipments, I called a local dealer and got on the list. I hadn't been excited like this about buying a new vehicle in a very long time - I was driving everyone around me crazy.

I took delivery March 22 - one of the very first in Denver and the first red one in Denver according to the dealer. It was several months before I saw another on the road, now I'm seeing them at least once or twice a week. I love this truck to death and unless something really changes, I will get a new one in about 7 years :D

My best friend, a long time BMW owner, wants one, and asks to drive it often. My mom, sister, and brother-in-law want one. My neighbor wants one. I have never seen a response to any one vehicle like I have this one.

So, as far as competition... I just don't see anything that comes even close. It really is in a class by itself.
I had a very similar experience as you...58 yrs old and acting like a kid with his first car!!! picked up my Ridgeline at 1930 hrs, on Wed the 23rd of March :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
kc135mech said:
I thought about getting an Avalanche but after driving one it seemed too large of a vehicle for me. I then watched the crash video after driving it and it scared me how crappy the protection was. I don't want to start about GM and all the recalls they have. I eventually got a RTL w/ SR after using the internet to do research and I love it.
I'm with you- I looked at Chevy and Ford. Chevy lost out on Safety- the Avalanch SUCKS. I was so close to a F150 Quad cab. But after I drove the Ridgeline (prompted by a tv comercial no less) I was sold.

Mine is a RTS- I dont like leather in Florida- HOT and Sticky.

My two favorite quotes- I took a lady to look at lots in a newly plated subdivision. She said - this rides much better than my boss's F150. Then when we went off road she really flipped and said she could not believe how much better it handled off road.

I love my truck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,010 Posts
I looked at everything out there. The last two trucks I owned were Dodge Dakotas and I was very pleased with them so I leaned in that direction. That is until I drove the Ridgeline - it was no contest!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
I had a very similar experience as you...58 yrs old and acting like a kid with his first car!!! picked up my Ridgeline at 1930 hrs, on Wed the 23rd of March
Tex's - Yeah, the wait was driving me nuts (and everyone else). What a ride, but fun as hell tho. The dealer called me about 3 PM to let me know it was ready to pick up, so I think I was about to drive away about 1730 MDT. We must have been as close to exactly 24 hours apart as you can get. Our VIN's must be very close.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top