Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this in my driveway. Is it from my RL, or did the wind blow something out of my neighbor's yard? No recent work done...

It looks like flappers for inside air, guess I'll go look underneath to see if I can find where it goes.

(I'm not used to parts falling off!)

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind, found it!

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,373 Posts
Weird - any idea what might have caused it to fall out?

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, but I bent the 6 retaining tabs out a bit to hopefully ensure it does not reoccur. It clicked into place and seems very secure. It does not budge when I pull on it.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
506 Posts
I can’t tell from your picture where it goes. Is that on the rear of the cab, maybe an exhaust vent?

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is actually the right rear underside. When it was out, I saw the spare tire. You can see it in my second post, the "Nevermind" post.,

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
506 Posts
Ok, I enlarged it and can see the spare. I guess it’s a vent for the trunk.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I’m wondering, you must have a heck of a driveway curbing to bounce that over the tailgate.

Just one more unexpected benefit to having a bed cover! :/

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m wondering, you must have a heck of a driveway curbing to bounce that over the tailgate.

Just one more unexpected benefit to having a bed cover! :/
No curb at all, that is why it's strange, AND, I have a Peragon Tonneau. How would that help? This is only accessible from underneath the truck. It's above and inboard from the right rear wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,054 Posts
I'd guess a part which should have been replaced during your accident? I think I'd order or find the part number and maybe keep an eye on it, incase you have to order it

·
Registered
303 Posts
My mistake, I was apparently confused as to where this came from.

sorry for any confusion

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,373 Posts
Ah, yes, I'd forgotten about the accident. Good catch @Carsmak & @14v6, I agree likely a delayed odd residual of that episode.

And yeah, lucky for @HyperPete it finally fell in the driveway! Bet it 'stays put' now that it's been properly 'clicked home'.

·
Super Moderator
5,040 Posts
That part is similar to the one in the 2004 Civic that causes the trunk to fill up with water when the seal around it fails. I had to chase down a water leak once on the Civic.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did think about the accident possibly causing the problem, but the hit was in the left front. I have also put a lot of miles on the vehicle since then, including many trips. I'm thinking that it just was not ever seated properly when the vehicle was built, and it took 45,000 miles to jiggle free. While I don't know how or why it would fall off overnight while parked in my driveway, I'm grateful that it did, because it probably isn't inexpensive.

I am going to pull out the spare just to ensure that it did not blow out for some reason. That is the only thing I can imagine that might have forced the piece out. Maybe I will even use some silicone from the inside to further seal it in place. But I think the best thing to do will be to relax and have a beer! (This evening, however!) 😁

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is it possible that sliding the spare tire tray in or out could have "bumped" it from the inside? That's the only thing I can think of that would push it out. Did you mess with the spare tire at all lately?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Probably not seated properly from assembly. Their are a few old threads of people complaining about dust in the trunk, they were missing this same cover.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts