Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

What setting and how often do you check your tire pressure?

• I set mine at 28 ~ 29 PSI (or lower)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I set mine at 30 ~ 31 PSI

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • I only set mine at the recommended 32 PSI

Votes: 86 38.9%
  • I set mine at 33 ~ 34 PSI

Votes: 60 27.1%
  • I set mine at 35 ~ 36 PSI (or greater)

Votes: 57 25.8%
  • Setting? I don't check it. I think it gets checked when the oil gets changed.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • I check it about every other month and sometimes before a long trip

Votes: 16 7.2%
  • I check it once per month and sometimes before a long trip

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • I check it about twice per month

Votes: 17 7.7%
  • I check it every week

Votes: 11 5.0%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There have been quite a few comments about every day driving tire pressure posted by many different members. I have experimented with mine and can notice a difference of just a few pounds. I have a preference but have not yet settled on a particular amount just yet. I am well aware that the recommended setting is 32 and that seems to be acceptable. I am curious if others have a different setting for normal, everyday, mixed local and highway use (no towing on the beach). Several members have commented that their tires seem to loose air pressure unusually fast. I have noticed that as well but since I check them roughly once per week I don't see large number changes, just a gradual decline. All the more reason to be diligent and check your pressure often.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I have mine at 34 psi and the ride is not bad. I haven't really paid attention to the gas mileage effects (as compared to lower pressures).

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry Zero and Swampler, this is the first poll that I posted and the text appeared before the poll was completed.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
The temperature swings in Northeast come fast and furious this time of year so filling tire pressure to desired amount should be done every fill up to keep up with actual pressure. Maybe those sensing constant pressure loss can attribute this to temperature dropping, which will cause actual pressure to drop.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I run mine at 35 psi, but I also do a lot of towing. The difference in ride comfort is not noticable. The dealer delivered it with 38 psi and that was a bit harsh and overinflated.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I had my TPMS light come on the other night for my front left tire. When I checked the pressure for that tire, and all of the others, I was suprised to see that the pressure for all tires was around 23-24 PSI!! This explains why I have been getting lower than average mileage. The interesting thing was that the tires did not look low. So be sure to check your tires as often as reasonably possible.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
23-24 psi is bordering on dangerously low pressure for this truck if you are driving highway speeds. I would hope the TPMS would come on in the 27-28 range based upon a 32 normal pressure. I am going to do an experiment with my truck to see when it comes on and I encourage others to do same and we can compare how accurate our TPMS systems are. Interested to see if these are worthy of trusting.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I rest my case.
If it's too heavy for you, I could carry it for a while. :D

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
BillB said:
23-24 psi is bordering on dangerously low pressure for this truck if you are driving highway speeds. I would hope the TPMS would come on in the 27-28 range based upon a 32 normal pressure. I am going to do an experiment with my truck to see when it comes on and I encourage others to do same and we can compare how accurate our TPMS systems are. Interested to see if these are worthy of trusting.
Mine came on at 24 psi when the temps first dropped. That's why I've started trying to check my pressure at least once per month. The tire that came on was 24 and the other 3 were at 25 and hadn't activated the TPMS yet.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Swampler, I tried to edit the poll to include your TPMS comment with the 'It only gets checked when the oil gets changed' choice but was unable to do it.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
My local tire store guy told me to run the psi recommended by the manufactor of the vehicle (on the door post of the RL) Not the psi on the tire.
psi can vary depending on load, and driving conditions.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Mine was delivered with 41 psi in all 4!

I did not realize this until after I had taken my first short (200 mile) interstate trip.... got 22.2 mpg!

Now that I've moved it down to 32 psi, I'm getting between 17.5 and 20.5 mpg. I realize that that are many variables that impact mpg, with tire pressure being one of them.....:confused:

Just FYI....

:cool:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Got mine when the outside temp was 50 and the tire pressure was right at 32 on each tire. Tonights temp is dropping to 4 degrees with wind chills in the minus 10 to 20 range. I am going to check it tomorrow to see how much of a difference I get.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mine was 35 @ delivery. I prefer a softer ride so I lowered them to 30 for a couple days but they looked a bit low to me in the morning..so I took them back up to 32

1 - 20 of 58 Posts