Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ROC members,

We are a unique group of automotive enthusiasts and our experiences have lead us to purchase and/or admire the RIdgeline. Tell us your story, what lead you to your purchase or like for your Ridgeline, Gen1 or Gen2?

For me, it was a need for a capable truck that could tow my boat, haul yard waist, help with home improvement projects, haul family members/business associates around, park in DC parking garages, etc. After putting my 1996 Ram to rest in a worthy grave and after riding in a co-worker's 2006 Ridgeline, I decided to take a serious look at the Ridgeline. At this time, I was looking at the Chevy Avalanche and the Ford Explorer Sport Trac. The Avalanche was too big and clumsy on the road while the Sport Trac was too small and claustrophobic. The Ridgeline was just the right size, but the Gen1's looks bothered me, at first. The Ridgeline's capabilities were impressive enough that I could not help but admire the engineering. After almost ten years of ownership, I am happy with my decision. My 2009 RTL (with nav.)--which was assembled in Canada, a real unicorn in the Gen1 world--is driving strong and doing everything I need it to do.

What is your Ridgeline story?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got a new position at work that came with a decent pay raise and the financial means to finally buy a brand new truck like I always wanted. I wanted to like the Tacoma so bad, but after several test drives I just couldn’t bring myself to like the way it rode and the seating position. Then I looked at the Tundra, and while it is a great truck, is just too much truck for my needs and the cost is more than I wanted to pay for the options I wanted.

I test drive the Frontier and the new Ranger. I had driven everything but the Ridgeline...so I drove it just to say I did. I immediately fell in love with the ride and the interior styling. Bought it the next day and have had zero regrets.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a new position at work that came with a decent pay raise and the financial means to finally buy a brand new truck like I always wanted. I wanted to like the Tacoma so bad, but after several test drives I just couldn’t bring myself to like the way it rode and the seating position. Then I looked at the Tundra, and while it is a great truck, is just too much truck for my needs and the cost is more than I wanted to pay for the options I wanted.

I test drive the Frontier and the new Ranger. I had driven everything but the Ridgeline...so I drove it just to say I did. I immediately fell in love with the ride and the interior styling. Bought it the next day and have had zero regrets.
Now that's one educated buyer. Good for you Towney9! Test them all and make the best choice of you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Now that's one educated buyer. Good for you Towney9! Test them all and make the best choice of you.
Where I live in VA trucks are everywhere, but I see a pretty good amount of Ridgelines. Everyone that I have shown the truck to has liked it. Heck, a friend bought one himself after riding with me in mine. The truck just makes sense in so many ways.

·
Super Moderator
12,105 Posts
Despite owning a few trucks, I never really had much of a need for one. I had owned and made do with mostly sedans and coupes. When I bought my first Honda, a 2006 Accord, I didn't even realize the Ridgeline existed. A close friend replaced his troublesome 2005 Titan with a reliable 2006 Ridgeline which exposed me to the model. When he showed off the dual-mode tailgate and in-bed trunk, I was so even though I didn't need a truck. I was so impressed with the ride and features that I went and bought the first of what would eventually be five Ridgelines.

·
Super Moderator
6,697 Posts
At the time I purchased I had really wanted an F-150, as I had been driving a friends ‘98 Flairside when I needed a truck, and we owned a ‘96 Del Sol & ‘97 Civic. Having brought home on test drives, both SuperCrew and SuperCab F-150’s and realizing neither one would fit in my garage, I started shopping the various small trucks, Ranger, Colorado, Durango, Frontier, and Tacoma. I had a few friends with Tacoma’s and was always underwhelmed with the cab space. At the time the local Honda Dealer was also the Toyota Dealer, in the same building, a rare combination, which is no longer (same owners but across the freeway from each other now). When the wife & I arrived from work, and we both arrived in Honda’s, the salesman said did you know that Honda was introducing a pickup soon. Although I completed the test drive of the Tacoma, I would go home and spend hours looking for all the information I could find on the Ridgeline, found out it was going to be at the upcoming LA Auto Show. Attending it in January ‘05, I came away so impressed, I would have paid anything to buy it that day.

I continued to read reviews, found the ROC, and ultimately purchased in June ‘05, as they say, “The Rest is History”

·
Registered
404 Posts
Having an RL before I got one in 2009 was not possible given my work. Full size trucks fit in our garage just fine, but I knew I would never need, or want, a full size truck when I pulled the pin. My best friend bought a RL in either 07 or 08 and I would see it when we went to his house. I had never seen one before up here. He really liked it. I quit work in early 2007 and decided to go the RL way in 09. I never looked at other other brand of mid size truck when we bought the 09. No regrets other than than the small bit of whining I've done about a few things. Bought the 2nd one in 17 after following the GMC mid size products closely and checking them out when they came into production. I've followed the Ranger product as well and will check out any other that comes out. I've always been of the opinion that blind brand loyalty doesn't necessarily always build a better product. I've had as many as 5 stripes of cars at one time at this house. I'm down to 2 right now.

To date, the Honda RL is the right truck for us for all the reasons most like. Unlike many, I could care less that the front end is a little 'soft' looking. I think it's it's the best looking truck on the road.

·
Registered
135 Posts
One day at work during lunch I was looking at Craigslist ads and saw the truck with the bed trunk up and the tailgate swiveling and was wowed and thought to myself, “plus this is a Honda!” As the original owner, I had put 385,000 miles on my Nissan truck and thought it was time to put that at part time.

The Nissan is for sale now but I will always have a soft heart for Nissans. The Ridgeline is just the right fit for me now.

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
I couldn't justify the expense of a Ridgeline, even a used one was too expensive for my budget and ultimately the fuel economy and looks of the first generation put me off. But, I was smitten after driving a used first generation. I missed my old '79 Toyota pickup and was finding my 2012 Miata SE not very practical. When the second generation came out I was retired, considering a pickup and the looks & fuel economy of the Ridgeline had improved. I told myself that when/if leather and moonroof were offered on the lower trim level that I would look in earnest. My spouse was dead-set against the purchase of any vehicle but I was slowly trashing our Honda Element by hauling home "improvement" stuff. The deciding factor was my wife and partner of 45 years thought the grass was greener back in my home state of South Dakota (not her home state, we met in grad school at USD) and moved back even though we had not lived there for 31 years and none of our grown children lived there. She took the Element which left me only the Miata. I, naively, thought we would just stay separated but the divorce is pending. So, I sold the house in Northern California, sold the Miata, purchased a Ridgeline and moved to Washington to live across the street from our daughter and six-year-old grandson. I signed the divorce papers her attorney had sent so I don't know what the hold up is. Although this may not sound like it, it is a happy ending, hopefully for both of us. I am still struggling with the details but I am very much enjoying my 2019 RTL. "Life is like a box of chocolates".

·
Super Moderator
4,660 Posts
A guy at my church had a Ridgeline. I wanted a truck that would fit in my garage and would also drive like a car, since I drove a Coca-Cola truck for a living and it shook my kidneys all day long. The Tacoma interior seemed a little cramped, even though we were a die-hard Toyota family. I had previously owned an extended cab Toyota T-100, which was fine, but my family had outgrown it.

In 2008, Honda had some pretty nice incentives on the RL. I got $6K off an RTL. I had a choice between the Nimbus Gray Metallic or the Dark Cherry Pearl. I brought home the DCP. My wife actually loved that color, too.

No regrets on the purchase.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My first truck was my first vehicle, a '55 F100 at 15 for $500 - before I even had a license. Three used cars later my first brand new vehicle was my next truck a 1987 Nissan Hard Body. Since then I've had a '96 NHB, '00 Tundra, '05 Frontier and now '19 RL. Overall the Nissan's were OK, had over 100,000 miles on each but near the end they all cost me $$$ from various issues. The Tundra didn't really do it for me and I never like the looks of the G1RL so never even considered one of those. I figured I'd just keep the Frontier till it died but man, when I saw the G2RL...I knew I wanted one and now am absolutely loving it! I haul stuff in it all the time so it fits the bill for that but the comfort is waaaay nicer than any other truck I've had, I'd say it rivals the ride of my wife's Mercedes SUV

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've owned an F-150 / 250 / 350 for 35+ years as a necessity of life on 15 rural acres with horses, RVs of various sizes, and a range of fairly 'heavy hauling' needs. The wife always had a car.

Life evolves ... by 2017 I was ~10-years single, ~7-years retired, still on my 15 acres but sans horses, with a smaller RV, driving a '14 Escape and an '05 F150 (both bought new, both good vehicles for me). The notion of 'fleet simplification' was attractive so I started research including joining this forum and lots of test driving of various vehicles. Looking for one vehicle to meet all my needs, not really knowing if such existed.

After release of the 'new Ranger' (I was, after all, a Ford Guy for a long time) in '19 it finally became clear that the RL was the one vehicle "made for me" (or "I made for it") at this time in life for all the reasons and features well-known to RL owners.

Bought my RTL-E on 4/22/19, absolutely no regrets, it's the one zero-compromise vehicle for me, I'm loving it.

Fleet simplification achieved, now I'm a Honda Guy, life is good. (y) :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
What lead me to the Ridgeline was a need for a pickup that rode like a nice SUV, had seating for 5 adults, comfortable and had a bed for hauling. What I had before the Ridgeline was a 2013 Toyota 4Runner that I was using for runs to the dump (hated putting garbage in the back and possibly getting the bad smell with it), and for Lowe's and Home Depot runs. I had originally thought that I would purchase a Tacoma and had my sites set on one particular model. I had previously owned a '93 Toyota T100 which had over 300K miles. It came time to get rid of it as the frame was starting show signs of rust with a small hole in the side. I knew it wasn't long before it would not pass the state inspection and would cost a pretty penny either to replace or find a reputable shop to make the repair. Some places will steer away from making repairs to cars/trucks due to possible liability unless they are body shops, so I knew I was doomed. The T100 got traded for the 2013 4Runner and I really did not like it as much as the 2005 4Runner we still had. The ride was rougher and louder and the wife hated climbing into and out of it. We really needed something that would fit the bill. I had finished paying off the 4Runner and was considering doing some sound proofing and other things to it to help my wife get into and out of as she was not inclined to purchase another vehicle. I had recently sold the 2005 4 Runner and we were trying to downsize the fleet.
Then we were close to the Honda dealership and happened to see one drive by. It caught my eye and wondered just what it was, since I had not seen one other than on the internet. We immediately drove to the Honda dealership and was able to look at it and take it for a test drive. Wife liked the easy entry and how it rode. We did not purchase it at that time as they only had a few on their lot and they were keeping the one for a demonstrator for people to try out. I really wanted the Lunar Silver and they did not have one at the time. I had done some searching for the Ridgeline, but was hesitant to purchase a first year of any vehicle due to possibly having issues. Wife wasn't sure we could do vacations in the truck (Ridgeline) with people and luggage and keeping things dry, etc. and how the back seat would or could be comfortable for passengers that were back there. For every question she had, I had an answer! Late in 2017 around the 1st of October we had recently returned from vacation and I had been watching the local Honda dealer for a Ridgeline that was equipped like I would prefer. The dealer actually had one and out of the blue, my wife asked me about it. She said, why don't we go see what they will give us for the '14 4Runner. I was shocked to say the least. But I went and thought if they could give me a decent deal, I'm trading. They did and I waited till the next day, called the sales person we had dealt with and traded the 4Runner for the Ridgeline and I haven't looked back. Wife still enjoys the ride, we have taken it on vacation with carrying passengers and luggage as well and other things and it has done great. Even driven it on several other trips and it does great! The Ridgeline fits in the garage, does everything I need it to do. Even handles the Lowe's and Home Depot runs as well as the garbage duty every week. One thing I forgot to mention was better gas mileage than the 4Runner could ever get. Best it got was 19 mpg running downhill with a good tailwind pushing it.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
When I started working got a Mustang GT in 87 and then a Ford Range in 93. Got married in 95 she had a Topaz. Got a Taurus in 99 and then the Kids came. Dumped the Mustang and the Ranger and got an Odyssey (the first of two). Continued with Odysseys during the kid years and then started a string of 3 CRV's (which IMO WERE the best all around vehicles). Kids were getting older so I wanted some fun so got an Accord V6. Thought I could manage everything with an Accord and 2 CRV's but there was a void without an Odyssey and since we had moved to snow country needed AWD. A Pilot fit the bill except that it couldn't hold plywood and I missed my Ranger every day since gettin grid of it so kept it in the family with an RL. Maybe here is where I made a mistake, the RL is good but I'm not thinking about replacing it with another one. Became empty nesters yesterday as my daughters are now away for work and they will be home for a few days before off/back to college. Don't really drive much anymore (youngest daughter got license last week) but I want a fun/fast SUV and will turn the RL into a winterbeater/ second vehicle. Would love to go back to a longitudinal setup . If I can't find the right SUV I'll probably take the chance on an F-150 and see if I made a mistake. I have some time though, wife is next in line for a new ride.

·
Registered
43 Posts
For me it was my wife. Went to her first ever "new car" car show in Seattle the year the G1 came out. It was love at first sight for her. We had one within 6 months. No looking back...

·
Registered
191 Posts
My first truck was a 1950 Dodge Pilothouse Cab, although it was a few years older than I was it was a great truck. I wish I still owned it.

I’ve had Chevy, Ford, & Nissan trucks since then. Upon retiring, I no longer needed a truck, but still wanted one.

The Ridgeline will do all I’ll need it to do, and I’ll ride with comfort & style. It hasn’t taken me to the dump yet, but it will. It hasn’t hauled a cubic yard of top soil, but it could. I haven’t towed a boat or trailer but it can. Living in Hawaii it probably won’t drive in the snow, but I’m confident it would do that just fine.

I’ve noticed a lot of Toyota & Ranger truck guys noticing me & they don’t look like they are thinking or feeling “it’s not a real truck” by their facial expressions.

The Ridgeline fits me, plain & simple, nothing else really matters.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
1st truck was a '64 Chev 1/2 ton, 6 cyl. 3 on the tree. Drove two of them over the years and both finally rusted out. Got a new Mazda B2600 which was O.K. but it kept getting cracked heads. Got a low mile '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo that I really liked but it started to rust, and didn't fit with my wife's style.

She suggested a small truck, looked at the Colorado, Ranger etc. and thought they were too big. She also suggested the RL. After doing about 3 months of research (a lot lurking here) and 9 months of searching I got the 2011 that we now own. She's a big garage sale fan and now we can haul here treasures home in a nice big bed, I have 4 wheel drive, and it's (hopefully) reliable.

BTW one reason it took so long to find this truck is we don't like black vehicles. Do you know how many black RL's are out there!!!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I've had a lot of SUV's. And frankly I liked how they drove and handled hauling stuff chores. For when I was in need of bigger open air hauling "stuff" I used (and still do use a trailer to do that). In 16' my 12' Escape had 115k miles on it and I felt that it was time to replace it with something else. Having longed for another truck since the 64' Landrover that I drove in high school. (was my dad's old vehicle at that point) I decided that it was time for another truck in my life. This time it would be mine and my first new vehicle too since 1988 when we bought our first SUV Jeep Cherokee which i had really liked at the time with that I6 engine. It was a good vehicle for us. So along came the RTL. Sure people say "why did you buy that?" And I promptly say, I didn't want a real truck. I then go on to tell them about the AWD system and how it handles like a sports car more than a regular truck and how it can haul and tow with the ease. And it's car like interior which happens to be very SUV like (and since i liked those it was a easy choice to buy this one). After all I didn't really want a truck and had test driven the F150 and Dodge Ram Eco diesel at the time. This fit my needs. And still does currently. And if Honda can make it better in 20' I might be driving one of those next. We'll see.

Steve

·
Registered
19 Posts
The wife and I had took our 2009 Element to the dealership for some service work. In the showroom we seen a new 2018 RL, I fell in love with the new Rl ,the wife not as much. I was retiring during this time and we sold our f250 and the Element and got a RLT-E. My wife is liking the RL more all the time because it fits our needs and it is a pleasure to drive and the ride is great.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My first truck was a 1950 Dodge Pilothouse Cab, although it was a few years older than I was it was a great truck. I wish I still owned it.

I’ve had Chevy, Ford, & Nissan trucks since then. Upon retiring, I no longer needed a truck, but still wanted one.

The Ridgeline will do all I’ll need it to do, and I’ll ride with comfort & style. It hasn’t taken me to the dump yet, but it will. It hasn’t hauled a cubic yard of top soil, but it could. I haven’t towed a boat or trailer but it can. Living in Hawaii it probably won’t drive in the snow, but I’m confident it would do that just fine.

I’ve noticed a lot of Toyota & Ranger truck guys noticing me & they don’t look like they are thinking or feeling “it’s not a real truck” by their facial expressions.

The Ridgeline fits me, plain & simple, nothing else really matters.
UPDATE: " It hasn’t taken me to the dump yet, but it will." Having owned my truck for a month I did make a dump run today after doing some medium tree trimming on my property. Out of the 8 to 10 trucks unloading at the green waste station 3 were Ridgelines! Seems like a very capable truck to me, and I wasn't the only one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
29 Participants
speedlever
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing