Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I really understand that there is no longer a standard CD player? The Honda build site says it's a $310 OPTION.:surprise:

·
Registered
214 Posts
CDs are dead, just like cassettes and 8-tracks before them. Most people have smartphones or iPods with their music collections on them. And all modern cars have Bluetooth. There is absolutely no reason for modern cars to include a CD player anymore. I think Honda actually threw tech hold-outs a bone by making it an option. Is it overpriced, well yes, but oh well. If you need it, you'll pay. But I doubt any other manufacturers who have nixed CD players offer an optional unit. Time to get with the times!

·
Registered
59 Posts
This actually shocked the salesman too when I went to look at the Sport. He told me upfront he was not well informed and we would be learning stuff together as this was their first one and it just got offloaded that morning. The button has cd/mp3 and he looked and said where does the cd go. As I already knew, the cd was an option and had to break it to him. But, as was said earlier and like I told him, I don´t even own cd´s anymore. I use Pandora, Iheart Radio, or my mp3 player. I like that the aux port and usb are in the center console, you can hook a mp3 player up and close the lid and won´t see any wires dangling and don´t have to worry about covering it up when you get out of the truck.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Time to get with the times!
Would if one doesnt want to "get with the times". I understand that CD player may have cost $300 but whats the price on the radio tech for this new RL. Sure go buy one for $200 but I dont want to put it in the cost just jumped another $200 for install. Dont own a i phone and never will and yes the CD is dead. Would have been nice if they offered just a radio trim, no black tooth, i peed or dumb phone would be fine with me there nothing but tracking devices.
EDIT: I dont want to upset anyone and should have added that I know Im in a big minority and tech must move on. Sorry if I hurt any ones feelings Carry on..................I'll add a smile face :).

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
They put one in mine for $200. Not thrilled about it; however, I still have lots of CD's that I listen to and, at least to me, it was worth it. Fits nicely where the little shelf is located below the head unit. I lost a shelf but can now listen to all of my music!

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
CDs are dead, just like cassettes and 8-tracks before them. Most people have smartphones or iPods with their music collections on them. And all modern cars have Bluetooth. There is absolutely no reason for modern cars to include a CD player anymore. I think Honda actually threw tech hold-outs a bone by making it an option. Is it overpriced, well yes, but oh well. If you need it, you'll pay. But I doubt any other manufacturers who have nixed CD players offer an optional unit. Time to get with the times!
Physical media sales are declining but compact disc and vinyl are far from dead.

Album_Units-vs-dollars-riaa.jpg

albumsales_custom-d89be4859eda1496e869d822e0d0e4fcf9d2dafd-s900-c85.jpg

True "most people" use their phones or pods for wireless connectivity to vehicles which usually means most people have no idea what they are missing.

"Getting with the times" often means joining a herd who have never been exposed to anything other than mp3 download garbage.

Pity that.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I prefer the audio quality of a CD over MP3. However, having recently test driven a RTL, I am pretty confident that my discerning ears would have a hard time distinguishing a dirty 8 Track from a CD over that system. Such a shame. The interior noise level (from outside) is low and they go put a crappy system in there. They could have done so much better.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,899 Posts
I would've been up in arms about it too because when I buy music, I buy CDs and rip them. Or I buy MP3s from Amazon. Because iTunes is proprietary, it's a rip off. I've had a CD player in my last several vehicles. Usually what happens is there's an old CD in there I never listen to. Streaming is where it's going and I listen to Pandora lot. Or I listen radio. Then there's always my iPhone filled with music. I have a short drive to work so I can't cost justify SiriusXM. My point is: there are so many other options that I just never listen to the CD player. I'm not going to miss it. I'm spending beaucoup bucks on Ridgeline accessories, but that's not even on my list of possibilities.

Of course this is all subjective. You may be someone who carries around a box of CDs and plays them all the time. You definitely need a CD player. To each his or her own.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Because iTunes is proprietary, it's a rip off. To each his or her own.
I can understand but dont. The wife has all this new tech in her CRV and shes buyin the songs she likes from I Tunes to use. Its hard to keep up, by the time we think where up to date somethin new comes out and we just got use to what we have. Then we say THE HELL WITH IT ALL, its all about the money and know matter what you do you cant keep up. There are much more important things as time goes by that your going to need that extra buck for later in life. The greatest stereo system is only as good as YOUR ears and the greatest TV is only as good as your EYES other wise its a waste, they still get the point across know matter what depending on the price you wanna pay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
RTL CD Player

Took delivery 12/06 2017 Ridgeline RTL. To my surprise, no CD player. There is a CD/AUX button on the audio controls. From the
equipment detail lists by model, this was not readily apparent to me. I was snookered but would not have paid thousands extra to
get a CD player anyway. So here I am. We frequently take long road trips and listen to books on tape plus music CDs as we travel.
Now what to do? Any and all ideas welcome on most economical solution.

·
0 Posts
Re: RTL CD Player

It's available. I believe it's the same one that goes into the Pilot. There was another thread in here where a guy got it installed.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
They may be dead, but on long road trips, audio books on CDs from your local library are a Godsend. Has nothing to do with being at the front of the technology class. Not everyone feels a need to be there. This is a big, unnecessary takeaway for some. A $35-40,000 vehicle should have one.

Interesting personal observation: Our '17 RDX has a built-in CD player and you have an option to 'burn' it to an onboard hard drive so you don't have to put the CD back in, again. Sounds good until you compare the music from the CD back to back with the play from the hard drive. CD has, to me, a better sound.....

Same on the RL. CD player sound quality is much preferred by me to bluetooth streaming from my phone. That's why I got the CD player to begin with, anyway. I just don't understand why the Canadians got theirs included and we had to pay extra (OK...I understand...it's a profit thing....); but, heck, they are selling all of the top end models they can here in the US, so it was a smart business decision....

1 - 20 of 91 Posts