Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
There is some variability with flushes also. Some use chemicals, some don't. Any time you add more processes to a basic procedure you introduce more risk.
I have not decided what to do with the intervals myself. I am wavering to use every other oil change for the basic change for the transmission. Or maybe just every 20k miles. And do the VTM and transfer case every 30K.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
look at your trany fluid when new . then look at it at 60k . burnt looking and darker color .
They advise against using power flush machines as they add expense and can introduce chemicals into the system that you don't want left there. Honda has a process for changing the ATF fluid:

·
Registered
68 Posts
the reason honda, toyota and everyother company tell you not to change your fluids more often is because they want there cost of ownership to be lower . they want to sell parts when people dont do proper maint. and things need replaced. in my opinion do proper maint. and you will have less problems and cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
the reason honda, toyota and everyother company tell you not to change your fluids more often is because they want there cost of ownership to be lower . they want to sell parts when people dont do proper maint. and things need replaced. in my opinion do proper maint. and you will have less problems and cheaper in the long run.
Very true, Preventative Maintenance is the key to longevity of any vehicle.

Hubbard Ohio, I was born and raised just south of you in East Liverpool.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just bought a RL went to the stealers today to get some VTM fluid and trainy fluid. Talked with a mechanic and picked his brain. When changing the trainy fluid he said DO NOT FLUSH AND DO NOT TOUCH THE FILTER, only drain and refill at 30,000 miles.VTM fluid should be changed also at every 30,000.Most of you know this already but thought I would post my input.On another topic the dreaded TPMS light is on, I told the mechanic I was going to change all the sensors and if I needed it reprogramed.He said they needed to reprogram the new sensors.Is this true or do they reprogram themselves???? I read through some posts but could not find a straight answer.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Just to clarify the original post isn't trying to keep you from changing the fluids. Honda is mostly just against using the power flush systems to change them and also against just changing them to make a dollar when it isn't needed.

If your ATF or Coolant needs changed sooner than their regular driving recomendations then by all means change them. Their position is that transmission flush machines at worst can cause problems later with the transmission and at best just cost more than draining and filling the system and still have the chance of a fitting or hose not being reattached properly which could cause a huge problem.

Driving conditions and the condition of the fluids has to be taken into account when deciding when to change them. Coolant can be tested both for temperature handling and acidity to decide when to change it. ATF can be judged a fair amount just by looking at it. Changing the fluids only when it is needed saves natural resources and cuts back on the amount of hazardous waste that is created.

All repair shops have the tools and ability to know when to actually change the items but since they all like making money it is far too common for any and all shops to incourage unneeded and complex/expensive fluid changes. Honda closed the letter telling dealers that there is enough money to be made in the maintenance that is needed and by doing only those items that are really needed they will build goodwill between them and the customers.

Trevor
http://www.HandA-Accessories.com/ridgeline.html

21 - 27 of 27 Posts