Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Changed the oil in my G2 tonight at 3k miles.

Used 0W-20, Amsoil Synthetic. Based on my research Amsoil produces the least amount of cylinder wear in benchmark tests and is best for engine longevity.

Also used K&N Performance Oil Filter (Based on the '16 Pilot size shown in the booklet) for maximum Oil Flow.

Running like a champ after the change from the break in Oil.

What do you guys use and why?

·
Administrator
16,107 Posts
Per Honda's instructions, I do not perform the first oil change until the Maintenance Minder tells me to. I use "Honda" brand 0W-20 oil. I do, however, change the oil filter at every oil change instead of every other oil change as instructed.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,595 Posts
Make sure you're using the A01 and not the A02 oil filter. (Does the G2 RL use the same filter as the G1?)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mobil 1 in all mine all the time:

2013 CX-5
2013 Ridgeline
2006 modified Miata
1992 stock Miata

2012 Yamaha 130 Waverunner
2010 Yamaha outboards (15 and 40HP)
Glastron 350 V8 stern drive boat
2012 modified 1200 Ski Doo snowmobile
Harley Low Rider w/ extensively modified motor

edit: if I'm not mistaken, all 0-w20 oil is full synthetic, and I think 5w-20 may be as well.

Always change filter and use a premium quality one.

Never a problem and no worries. I've done a lot of research over the years and have the most confidence in Mobil 1 formulation and additive packages in all applications. Another plus is widespread availability and great competitive pricing - especially in the big jugs. Oils have come a LONG way and all the branded and OEM labeled synthetics are superior to dino oils. Fresh > not much difference. The real difference is that Synthetics maintain their design viscosity much better over time........and that is why they lubricate and protect better.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Mobile 1 and Mahle oil filter.

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,900 Posts
I've got about 900 miles on my G2 and according to Maintenance Minder, my oil is at 90%. So I have a long way to go before changing oil. However I am prepared for the task — something I haven't done in decades. I bought 6 gallons of Honda's 0w-20 fully synthetic, the Honda oil filter (which comes with a crush washer) and I picked up a Honda oil filter-sized wrench.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts

Used 0W-20, Amsoil Synthetic. Based on my research Amsoil produces the least amount of cylinder wear in benchmark tests and is best for engine longevity.

Running like a champ after the change from the break in Oil.

What do you guys use and why?

Years ago we were having an oil discussion on this forum. The subject came up that Amsoil was not API certified. I do use Amsoil, just not on my vehicles that are still under warranty. I'm not sure if the certification has changed, but were you to have an engine failure and Honda discovered that you were using an oil without an API certification, technically, they could deny your warranty claim.

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Make sure you're using the A01 and not the A02 oil filter. (Does the G2 RL use the same filter as the G1?)
I just checked and the filter that Bernardi is sending me is the A02. I put a question into them to find out which filter is the right one. I got the part number by looking on the engine parts map, supposedly specific to the 2017 Ridgeline, but somebody could've made a mistake.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Years ago we were having an oil discussion on this forum. The subject came up that Amsoil was not API certified. I do use Amsoil, just not on my vehicles that are still under warranty. I'm not sure if the certification has changed, but were you to have an engine failure and Honda discovered that you were using an oil without an API certification, technically, they could deny your warranty claim.
I used the same Amsoil with my Honda CR-V, took it to the dealership 2 times in the 3 years I owned it and had to use the warranty once, they had no problem with me using Amsoil after i told them.

There's no way im waiting for the maintenance minder to change oil on a brand new engine, the service guy said changing it at 3k would be just fine.

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,595 Posts
If the G2 uses the same filter as the G1, the A02 is spec'd properly. However, it is a poorly constructed filter with cardboard end caps. The A01 filter is made by Filtech and is a much better constructed filter.

Reactions: phineas

·
Registered
488 Posts

Used 0W-20, Amsoil Synthetic. Based on my research Amsoil produces the least amount of cylinder wear in benchmark tests and is best for engine longevity….
Will you be using Amsoil in the i-VTM4 Rear Drive Unit?

·
Administrator
16,107 Posts
The A01 and A02 filters are completely interchangeable. Each dealer is different. I use and recommend only the A01 filters for the reasons previously mentioned.

Honda-branded 0W-20 and 5W-20 is available in both full synthetic and synthetic blend. I use and recommend either one.

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
If the G2 uses the same filter as the G1, the A02 is spec'd properly. However, it is a poorly constructed filter with cardboard end caps. The A01 filter is made by Filtech and is a much better constructed filter.
So, were they interchangeable for the G1?

Whoops! Should have read Z's post first.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
They'd have an extremely hard time with that and would lose in court.

This is also why I recommend doing some oil samples periodically (with whatever oil brand you use) to give the mfr, whether Honda or any mfr, no room with any of it.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts