Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

What do you guys use when replacing transfer case fluid? I have heard 75W90, 90SAE, and the dealership sells a hypoid gear oil for $22 a qt.

So what do you use?

-Terracar

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Everyone is using a 1qt jug of any of the various brands of full synthetic, Mobil1, Castrol, or brand you choose.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I prefer a synthetic 75-90 like M1 or RP . Probably will not make a smidgen of difference but I enjoy thinking of all the rotating power train parts drenched in the slippery stuff.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I prefer a synthetic 75-90 like M1 or RP . Probably will not make a smidgen of difference but I enjoy thinking of all the rotating power train parts drenched in the slippery stuff.
Agree with prior posts. Any major brand that meets spec is acceptable. Synthetic is a personal option which cannot hurt. Never heard of a lube related failure on this part so I say use whatever you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
What ever the Honda Dealership puts in there according to the MM.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,588 Posts
Here's the spec from the 2006-08 FSM:

I use Mobil 1 75w-90 myself.

·
Super Moderator
22,588 Posts
It sends power to the VTM-4 unit (rear diff). When energized, the clutches in the rear diff take up the power being supplied by the always spinning driveshaft. Or so I understand.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have a 75W90 (synth) in mine. Interestingly, although the manual specs a 90 or 80W90 (the later models, like mine, may spec 75W90? I don't recall off-hand...),
the Honda fluid is a 75W85.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I have a 75W90 (synth) in mine. Interestingly, although the manual specs a 90 or 80W90 (the later models, like mine, may spec 75W90? I don't recall off-hand...),
the Honda fluid is a 70W80.
I believe the Honda fluid is made specifically for Honda by Idemetsu.

75W90 should be just fine.
Has a transfer assembly every failed? I don't think so...unless it had no lubricant at all.

·
Super Moderator
22,588 Posts

75W90 should be just fine.
Has a transfer assembly every failed? I don't think so...unless it had no lubricant at all.
I seem to recall a report of one failing... for just the above reason.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Why would you put a different viscosity in your transfer case other than that is recommended by Honda? For those who have done so, what do you know that Honda doesn't?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Possibly, though it's not particularly a 'special' fluid, I don't believe. I believe Honda just lowered the viscosity for mpg purposes. It's kinda too bad that they haven't updated the owner's manual. Unlike most of Honda's corporate bullying regarding using only their branded fluids, which is flatly illegal under MMWA (and Commerce has been having 'words' with them over it recently), if they were to spec a 75W85 GL-5 gear oil, they may well have the only one on the market(?).

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
What he ^ said. Maybe the engineer's numbers came out to the range Honda adopted. (A tweak to meet CAFE standards?)
When we can't use a lubricant bracketing Honda's numbers I have to think those two big gears that do nothing more than transfer rotational energy in another direction must be highly sensitive pieces of metal. Considering their function that does not seem to be the case.
Sometimes looking between the numbers reveals a fully acceptable and reasonable alternative.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Why would you put a different viscosity in your transfer case other than that is recommended by Honda? For those who have done so, what do you know that Honda doesn't?
Just because Honda "specified" a particular fluid, doesn't mean that it is critical to use that specific one. Many times it is (tranny, differential for instance), but in this case it absolutely is NOT. You will find that many Honda dealers do not even have the "Honda" gear oil available. Any appropriate gear oil will do... this is just gear lubrication... no proprietary hydraulics or anything like that. Any decent "Honda" mechanic will tell you that as well (as would a Honda engineer). This just happens to be a very simple application of lubricant. You want to use the right "kind" of lubricant, and you want to be close to the specified viscosity; but after that you can forget about it & just replace at the appropriate interval.

FWIW, this (transfer case) is probably the most forgiving of all of the maintenance fluids, should they get ignored. Not likely you would EVER have a problem with the transfer case unless your fluid actually leaked out.

·
Super Moderator
22,588 Posts
This. To the best of my knowledge, Honda does not offer hypoid gear oil as a Honda branded item. I've never seen it offered for sale, online or at the local dealer.

·
Registered
452 Posts
This. To the best of my knowledge, Honda does not offer hypoid gear oil as a Honda branded item. I've never seen it offered for sale, online or at the local dealer.

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-HGO-1-Hypoid-Gear-Oil__08200-9014.aspx

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/08200-9014.html

Here ya go, 3 different places with a quick google search. I think it's too expensive seeing you can just go and get M1 gear oil at a local store.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
22,588 Posts
Thanks radtech91. I find it interesting to note that while Honda specs the hypoid gear oil to be either GL4 or GL5 and either SAE90 or 80w-90, this Honda labeled hypoid gear oil oly meets the GL5 specs (at least for 2006-2008 RLs).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts