Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*UPDATE* Pretty bad oil leak from rear main seal 08 with 103k miles..Any ideas?

Hi guys, I have an oil leak from the area pictured. It seems like its coming from the inner side next to the two allen bolts and its hard for me to get a good visual. The oil drip would travel straight down and pool up around the oil pan bolt. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
That's the spool valve assembly. There's a gasket between it and the block. Plus an o-ring around the oil pressure sender.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...tcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=OIL+PUMP+-+OIL+STRAINER

Your mechanic can remove that and replace them.

But first, check under the oil filter to make sure there's only one gasket there. Sometimes they stick during an oil change and you can end up with two, and it'll leak.

Chip H.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the spool valve assembly. There's a gasket between it and the block. Plus an o-ring around the oil pressure sender.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...tcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=OIL+PUMP+-+OIL+STRAINER

Your mechanic can remove that and replace them.

But first, check under the oil filter to make sure there's only one gasket there. Sometimes they stick during an oil change and you can end up with two, and it'll leak.

Chip H.
Thank you for the help. I am pretty sure its leaking from what I believe is the Oil pump assembly. I ran my fingers to the left of the allen screws on the assembly and I can feel sludged oil. Is there a specific spot that is prone to leaking? I really wish I could get a better visual on whats going on.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
This is the first I recall of anyone reporting a leak in this location.

Chip H.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will update with pictures tommorow. I really hope its not the oil pump assembly because it looks like an expensive fix. I just have timing belt done less than 1k miles ago too :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is that when the oil started leaking?[/QUOTE

I dont think so. The service tech showed me the mess of oil that was all around the bottom of the engine. He was unable to pinpoint the exact location at the time of the timing belt service.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I will update with pictures tommorow. I really hope its not the oil pump assembly because it looks like an expensive fix. I just have timing belt done less than 1k miles ago too :(
It shouldn't be that expensive - drain the oil, remove the filter, remove 2 bolts, clean the mating surfaces, install new gasket, reassemble and refill with oil.

Chip H.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It shouldn't be that expensive - drain the oil, remove the filter, remove 2 bolts, clean the mating surfaces, install new gasket, reassemble and refill with oil.

Chip H.
Yes if its the spool valve assembly it should be easy :D . I think if its the oil pump assembly next to the spool assembly the timing belt has to be removed according to some posts Ive read. I'm crossing my fingers that this is not the case! If it is leaking at the oil pump assembly I could have had it fixed for cheap during the timing belt service :act060: . I added some UV dye to the oil so I can get a better look at what is going on.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Yes if its the spool valve assembly it should be easy :D . I think if its the oil pump assembly next to the spool assembly the timing belt has to be removed according to some posts Ive read. I'm crossing my fingers that this is not the case! If it is leaking at the oil pump assembly I could have had it fixed for cheap during the timing belt service :act060: . I added some UV dye to the oil so I can get a better look at what is going on.
You are correct... the oil pump is under the timing belt cover.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Took it to the dealer where I bought the Ridgeline. They added UV dye and told me to drive it around a week and come back. I have a UV light at home and this was the result from a 40 mile drive after the dye was added....

Unfortunately I bought the truck used as is with no warranty (Kia dealership). I figured its a Honda and I wouldn't have these issues at this mileage (103k) and felt safe because I had service records from carfax. The dealer said they will give a discount on the work or give me 250$ toward the work if I have it done elsewhere after they re-inspect the leak to help me out. I got a really good deal on it and already spent almost $900 for a timing belt service which is where the leak was brought to my attention. Anyone know how much this runs? Anyone know a mechanic near Santa Fernando Valley in CA that could help me out? I'm really bummed right now...... Love the Ridgeline though, really wish I didn't have crap luck. I did an oil change with Valvoline High mileage Max life a week ago in hopes to stop the leak but no luck with 200 miles on it.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Dont know how bad the leak is but if you just changed oil with one that might seal a small leak you might want to wait and let it do its work. 200 miles aint much for somethin like that to start workin.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think I have the same leak. I had a head on collision a few months ago and suspect this was the cause. Thinking about going back to insurance with it.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I think I have the same leak. I had a head on collision a few months ago and suspect this was the cause. Thinking about going back to insurance with it.
Do it soon.... they don't like "delayed" claims, but are more responsive if you get back to them quickly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
According to my dealer the rear main seal and oil pump assembly is leaking. 1100 bucks for the rear main and 700 for the oil pump...sigh... I cant spend that kind of money during the holidays so I added some AT-205 resealer and the leaks have slowed! I will keep everyone updated on the results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a service advisor for Honda, oil pump/rear main common on Ridgelines and Pilots with higher mileage, my 06 RTS was done about 15k miles ago, had them reseal oil pump housing, replace torque converter plate, replace rear main, etc

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I am a service advisor for Honda, oil pump/rear main common on Ridgelines and Pilots with higher mileage, my 06 RTS was done about 15k miles ago, had them reseal oil pump housing, replace torque converter plate, replace rear main, etc
'Don't know what "common" is, but we haven't had all that many reports of oil pump leaks (that I recall). Not really THAT many for main seal.... but more for mains than for oil pump. I can't recall more than 2 or 3 reported oil pump leaks.... but maybe I'm just not remembering more???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts