Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Search button hasn't helped me yet... so... Should I just pick up a set of the cable chains recommended in the owners manual (ZT735) to meet the "mandatory carry chains" requirement in some areas, or are there alternatives that will also work, like any ol cable chain?

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Note that the OM says to put chains on the front wheels only. Turns out that seems to be where the tire clearances are the tightest. With so many ROCers upsizing their tires, I'm waiting to hear if snow cables will fit on front tires that are any bigger than stock (245/60R18) without tearing up the wheel well linings or slapping the struts. When the G2 debuted, we were told anything larger than OEM tire would not have room for "chains".

·
Registered
926 Posts
I was debating winter tires for here in central NC, we do get snow/ice almost every winter but it usually lasts less than a week. I can't justify buying new tires for 1-2 weeks a year.

Was gonna buy the cables/chains but did fine with them after the snow/ice a few weeks ago. If anything, I'd just get the cables/chains, for the conditions that I live in.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For all those who actually drive on snow/ice, I do hear that snow tires are the best thing in the world!

However...I just ordered the chains. I don't even plan on using them, but it would be good "just in case". I have a set of cable chains for my daily driver 2 door RWD coupe and put them on exactly once in the last 13 years... and that was to practice putting them on and seeing how well they fit. Now I've only been driving for 14 years, but in the Seattle area, it does not snow often... and when it does, DO NOT drive anywhere! I'd either work from home or sleep at work if I got stuck there, there are too many hills and other drivers on the road.

I did see in the manual that it said put them on the front though!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I switched to 17" wheels and Yokohama Geolanders, which are severe snow service rated. The rolling size and diameter are nearly identical to the stock tires, so I also have a set of ZT735 chains to throw on top of them for those ice days where chains are required regardless of drive or tires...and it's happened twice this season. Unlike Seattle, ice happens here every two years and shuts down the hills in the city otherwise. As much as I love my home office, getting out and playing in a city that is shut down is the most fun ever, and keeping a tow strap in the vehicle means I can help a few folks out.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I switched to 17" wheels and Yokohama Geolanders, which are severe snow service rated. The rolling size and diameter are nearly identical to the stock tires, so I also have a set of ZT735 chains to throw on top of them for those ice days where chains are required regardless of drive or tires...and it's happened twice this season. Unlike Seattle, ice happens here every two years and shuts down the hills in the city otherwise. As much as I love my home office, getting out and playing in a city that is shut down is the most fun ever, and keeping a tow strap in the vehicle means I can help a few folks out.
Yeah.. you got it pretty bad down there just a few weeks ago... all those bridges are crazy!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Snow Chains for Tires, Best Tire Chains, Truck Tire Chains

Use the model that comes up like SZ... called super z6. They work great. Been selling them for years. Walmart usually carrys them or amazon.

EDIT: If you have stock size you will need SZ435. And these cables only require 1/4 of space. I have sold them to people with lowered cars an they are fine. Super easy to install as well.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Well, the Super Z6 series does require the least amount of clearance and may even work for ROCers running upsized tires. However, the owners manual recommends the ZT735 cables for the OEM tires. This model of snow cables has heavier components designed for SUVs and light trucks.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the Super Z6 series does require the least amount of clearance and may even work for ROCers running upsized tires. However, the owners manual recommends the ZT735 cables for the OEM tires. This model of snow cables has heavier components designed for SUVs and light trucks.
I got impatient and just ordered the recommended ones from the manual. They were under 100 bucks.

But those super low clearance chains make me think about ones for the Subaru. There are no owners manual recommended chains for the '16 forester.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Note that the OM says to put chains on the front wheels only. Turns out that seems to be where the tire clearances are the tightest. With so many ROCers upsizing their tires, I'm waiting to hear if snow cables will fit on front tires that are any bigger than stock (245/60R18) without tearing up the wheel well linings or slapping the struts. When the G2 debuted, we were told anything larger than OEM tire would not have room for "chains".
A few years later, can anyone follow up on their experience running chains/cables on larger tires? I plan to get ATs in a larger size down the road and would like to carry chains for my hunting trips.

Also, whats the reasoning behind front only chain placement?

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
I'm thinking that anything other than the stock size tires you will get interference with chains.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts