Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
I pull a 4,500 lb boat and trailer combo and I leave in NORMAL on dry concrete - or wet but clean - ramps. However, the ramp by our cottage is partial concrete, partial stone lake bottom and always sand covered. Not surprisingly, I go to SAND but more for getting a quicker throttle tip in and more power to the rear wheels (that are more likely to be wet and in low traction conditions).

This cottage ramp is pretty dicey in fall due to water levels and the need to pull trailer wheels from the lake bed onto the first part of the concrete ramp. The RL has little trouble pulling this load out. No more trouble than my previous RAM Hemi did. I will note that it was almost humorous the way my RAM EcoDiesel easily handled this with 420 ft-lbs of torque...you almost could just take your foot off the brake and let idle up the ramp...there will never be a substitute for low rpm turbo diesel torque...other than maybe electric motor torque in the future.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Read my mind...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The whole purpose of the SAND (and MUD) mode is the 'power through' the surface conditions with wheel revolutions and torque with no ABS. Think of it like turning off the ABS when stuck in snow...spin your way out.

Yes, having traction is ALWAYS preferable but if my front wheels are on dry sand on the ramp (and will slip) I want the most power at the point closest to the load aka the rear wheels.

I'm talking really iffy conditions as in the boat and trailer (at times) will slide the tow vehicle towards the lake...so quick throttle tip in with no ABS intervention is important...this is an off the brake/on the throttle type of boat retrieval, not your perfect gentle sloped, grooved boat ramp...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The whole purpose of the SAND (and MUD) mode is the 'power through' the surface conditions with wheel revolutions and torque with no ABS. Think of it like turning off the ABS when stuck in snow...spin your way out.

Yes, having traction is ALWAYS preferable but if my front wheels are on dry sand on the ramp (and will slip) I want the most power at the point closest to the load aka the rear wheels.

I'm talking really iffy conditions as in the boat and trailer (at times) will slide the tow vehicle towards the lake...so quick throttle tip in with no ABS intervention is important...this is an off the brake/on the throttle type of boat retrieval, not your perfect gentle sloped, grooved boat ramp...
I was thinking about the rear wheels being further down the ramp in a wet slimy area and they actually spinning; not the front wheels.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Need pictures of the boat.
Not Al E Numan's boat but a picture of what I contend with on some 'less than perfect' ramps...5.0 L Volvo Penta GXi and SX outdrive alone weight 860 lbs. Boat is about 3,300 lbs dry and trailer is 1,100 lbs. At least an add'l 100 lbs is rounding way down most likely and dependent on fuel in the 35 gal tank. I've never been a fan of towing something equal or greater in weight than the tow vehicle but that is reality...

·
Registered
881 Posts
I was thinking about the rear wheels being further down the ramp in a wet slimy area and they actually spinning; not the front wheels.
That is the challenge. I agree with all that if the front wheels had grip, it would be a great case for NORMAL...The nice part on both RAMs was I had the limited slip option AND I'd just select 4 LOW and away you'd go. Almost zero grip issues even in slippery conditions. Actually, prior to the RAMs my 2010 G1 RL had the advantage of the older VTM4 LOCK which I always put on to retrieve boats at the ramp.

I did just get new tires at 60k miles (second new set) and went with a true All Weather LT tire (BF Goodrich Advantage Sport LT) vs an All Season. This is also to help with the Western NY winters and avoid an add'l set of winter tires. This was the tire I had on when I pulled the boat out end of Sept and it helped as it has a very aggressive tread pattern (somewhat a hybrid of street and A/T).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not Al E Numan's boat but a picture of what I contend with on some 'less than perfect' ramps...5.0 L Volvo Penta GXi and SX outdrive alone weight 860 lbs. Boat is about 3,300 lbs dry and trailer is 1,100 lbs. At least an add'l 100 lbs is rounding way down most likely and dependent on fuel in the 35 gal tank. I've never been a fan of towing something equal or greater in weight than the tow vehicle but that is reality...

That’s a good looking setup you’ve got there! I can only dream of one day being a middle aged dad with a similar setup.

·
Registered
535 Posts
That is the challenge. I agree with all that if the front wheels had grip, it would be a great case for NORMAL...The nice part on both RAMs was I had the limited slip option AND I'd just select 4 LOW and away you'd go. Almost zero grip issues even in slippery conditions. Actually, prior to the RAMs my 2010 G1 RL had the advantage of the older VTM4 LOCK which I always put on to retrieve boats at the ramp.

I did just get new tires at 60k miles (second new set) and went with a true All Weather LT tire (BF Goodrich Advantage Sport LT) vs an All Season. This is also to help with the Western NY winters and avoid an add'l set of winter tires. This was the tire I had on when I pulled the boat out end of Sept and it helped as it has a very aggressive tread pattern (somewhat a hybrid of street and A/T).
In my G1 I've typically taken the precaution of pushing the "4 low" button prior to climbing the steep grassy hill at the family lake cabin (the alternate route to going up the driveway, when your vehicle is blocked in on that side), and it's never slipped a smidgen, at least that I felt.

Just got a G2, and hope it doesn't get too "interesting" going up that hill without the ability to lock it in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts