Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given that not much is known about the new RL... what trim level would you seek to buy? And if you could make your own trim level.. what would it have?

As for me.. I like lanewatch, leather, but no Navigation. I'd also like to be able to put on a set of 32" off road type of tires, upgrade the exhaust, and maybe a low psi intercooled turbo (for towing and low end power)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
That is not the typical Honda owner and so not likely. I like the current version but wish it started with a bench seat and a stick shift.

·
Registered
975 Posts
We don't yet know what the trim levels will include. Joe did say that the upper trim level would be on 20" wheels.

That's a deal killer for me. Subjectively I think they are ugly. Objectively they are a poor choice for daily drivers used in areas that have Winter.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If the new RL's cabin is nearly identical to the one shown in the new Pilot photos, that's the trim level I'll be ordering, which looks like it will be the top trim level with all the bells and whistles and driving aids. One feature not mentioned but if you look closely, the steering wheel has an adaptive cruise control setting, which is something I got used to on my wife's vehicles and will want that too.

·
Administrator
16,008 Posts
When I was younger, I pretty much had to stay with the middle to lower trim levels of whatever I was buying because that's all I could afford. These days, I tend to go for the upper or top trim - anything less feels like a rental car to me. All three of my Ridgelines have been the highest trim (either RTL NAVI or SE). If I buy a 2017+ Ridgeline, I'll probably continue to buy the highest trim level unless it is unreasonably expensive. If there were to be an Acura version, I'd consider it, but it would probably run $45-55K. I could afford that, but I don't think I want to sink that much money into a vehicle.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I usually like the ones in the middle, right now RT had all I wanted, well maybe just some leather seats, must have power windows and power locks, I dont really care about navigation or any of that because I will always add my own aftermarket add ons which will be lower in price than what is offered by the dealer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I need a poor-bastard trim level. All I need is air conditioning, automatic transmission, and cruise control. Oh yeah, and the towing package. Remote start would also be a plus, but I doubt I could ever afford an OEM version....

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I would go for upper trim level with many of the bells & whistles.
Looking at the Acura Watch stuff for MDX I don't need the vehicle to do everything the MDX with Acura Watch does but would like many of them.
It looks like the 2016 Pilot upper level does come with many driving aids.
I would guess that they would outfit a version of the next Ridgeline almost the same. I would like a form of jewel eye LED headlight to make it known from other vehicles. I would like the SH-AWD system of the new 2016 MDX.
There is one feature that MDX has on one of their trim packages multi fan speed ventilated front seats. I wish the Ridgeline would get that.
I am not sure the new Pilot has them on a package or not.
I thought in the debut of the Pilot they said it had heated steering wheel.
I could do without that but everything I saw on Pilot debut if on Ridgeline I would be happy.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I like heated leather and all the goodies. They can keep the nav and moonroof.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Remote start would also be a plus, but I doubt I could ever afford an OEM version....
I think the aftermarket remote starts are better than the OEM. The OEM doesn't have the distance capability the aftermarket ones have and the OEM won't allow you to get in the vehicle and put the key in the ignition while the vehicle is running. Now I think that sucks. My Honda dealer tells me they hardly ever sell OEM remote starters because they cost more and not worth it. They even recommend themselves to go aftermarket. Honda really missed the boat on that one.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
I'm of the same mind as Slider...they can keep the Navi, ive got my cellphone and a TomTom. Never had a moon roof until the wifes 2006 Odyssey...don't think I would me that either...

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
I think the aftermarket remote starts are better than the OEM. The OEM doesn't have the distance capability the aftermarket ones have and the OEM won't allow you to get in the vehicle and put the key in the ignition while the vehicle is running. Now I think that sucks. My Honda dealer tells me they hardly ever sell OEM remote starters because they cost more and not worth it. They even recommend themselves to go aftermarket. Honda really missed the boat on that one.
Honda has a new "Long Range Remote Engine Start with Vehicle Feedback" system that is new for some 2016 model year vehicles. I have no idea if Ridgeline will get the system or not. Here's a brief edited description of the system:

This enables drivers to start their vehicle, thereby activating the climate control system and heated/ventilated seats before they enter the vehicle — perfect for hot or cold days. The remote is designed to have a range of operation of up to about ½ mile. To start the engine remotely, the owner presses the LOCK button on the remote and then holds the ENGINE button for a few seconds. When the engine is started remotely, the wipers, lighting and audio systems remain off, and the security system remains set. The engine will run for up to 10 minutes after remote starting, and then shut off automatically if the owner doesn't reach the vehicle within that time. When the owner does get to the vehicle within 10 minutes, the engine will keep running while the owner unlocks the vehicle.

This system also provides feedback to the owner to confirm whether the engine is running or the vehicle is locked. The remote has three LED indicators: amber, green and red. To confirm engine start, the owner presses the LOCK button and then holds the ENGINE button for a few seconds. The amber indicator will flash while the remote communicates with the vehicle. If the engine is running, the green LED will then light for one second. If the engine is not running, the red indicator will light for one second. To verify whether the vehicle is locked, the owner presses the LOCK button once. After the amber light comes on, either the green or red LED will light for one second to indicate that the vehicle is locked or not, respectively. And if the red LED flashes three times, the vehicle is out of the remote's range.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like the vehicle loaded-up. Hopefully it won't be any longer because now it's about at the length capacity for my current garage.(although entertaining idea of building additional garage apt. for add'l planned toys/guests/parties/tenants)

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Loaded, to a point.

I don't care about the lazy-driver assistance tech, though.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Honda has a new "Long Range Remote Engine Start with Vehicle Feedback" system that is new for some 2016 model year vehicles. I have no idea if Ridgeline will get the system or not. Here's a brief edited description of the system:

This enables drivers to start their vehicle, thereby activating the climate control system and heated/ventilated seats before they enter the vehicle — perfect for hot or cold days. The remote is designed to have a range of operation of up to about ½ mile. To start the engine remotely, the owner presses the LOCK button on the remote and then holds the ENGINE button for a few seconds. When the engine is started remotely, the wipers, lighting and audio systems remain off, and the security system remains set. The engine will run for up to 10 minutes after remote starting, and then shut off automatically if the owner doesn't reach the vehicle within that time. When the owner does get to the vehicle within 10 minutes, the engine will keep running while the owner unlocks the vehicle.

This system also provides feedback to the owner to confirm whether the engine is running or the vehicle is locked. The remote has three LED indicators: amber, green and red. To confirm engine start, the owner presses the LOCK button and then holds the ENGINE button for a few seconds. The amber indicator will flash while the remote communicates with the vehicle. If the engine is running, the green LED will then light for one second. If the engine is not running, the red indicator will light for one second. To verify whether the vehicle is locked, the owner presses the LOCK button once. After the amber light comes on, either the green or red LED will light for one second to indicate that the vehicle is locked or not, respectively. And if the red LED flashes three times, the vehicle is out of the remote's range.
Now that makes more sense than the current one being offered. I can just imagine the price on that one. If only they came standard equip. Thanks for the info Joe.

·
Registered
512 Posts
That (similar) remote start system that Joe described is on my current 2015 Grand Cherokee. It's called U-connect (at least that's what Chrysler calls it, not sure if it's a universal system that other manufacturer's use). It is an impressive system and I've really put it to the test almost every day this winter season (I don't have a garage where I'm currently living and I'm frequently parked blocks away from the properties that I manage, so having a warmed up vehicle (including heated seats and steering wheel and defrosting) has been very nice this winter. The Uconnect system operates through my smartphone (that communicates with the vehicle), so it doesn't matter how far I am from the vehicle. I can go right to the Uconnect App on my smartphone, start the vehicle (or lock or unlock doors) and I'll get an immediate text or email (depending on the settings you prefer) confirming the successful request. Uconnect also alerts me by text if my vehicle's alarm goes off or if it's towed, etc. Pretty cool technology that I'd like to see on the next Ridgeline.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I got my 06 in 05, was the first in my county to get one. I already had a 74 Chevy Cheyenne 4x4/all wheel drive truck and a ford ranger for my garden service. Both base trucks, no frills, no extras. Someone else's beater before they became mine. At the time I could afford and wanted both new and top end so went with the rtl . I only have 45,000 miles on my truck and do not anticipate buying a new truck until maybe 2020 and will have maybe 70,000 on my 06. Everything should be well abused by then, except for the back seats. I have always had dogs and the back seat stays in the stowed position 90% of the time. They look practically new compared to the rest of the truck inside and out. What I want in my next Ridgeline is pretty much what I got now, but for removable back seats or ones that fold down onto or into the floor to make a flat dog friendly surface. Similar to that of the Odyssey van back seats. Otherwise, in my next Ridgeline I will remove the back seats for more dog room. Oh, another nice feature would be bug screens that came down when the windows did, at least on the back if the current slider becomes a down stowaway window. I hate having a bug get in while I am driving.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I need a poor-bastard trim level. All I need is air conditioning, automatic transmission, and cruise control. Oh yeah, and the towing package. Remote start would also be a plus, but I doubt I could ever afford an OEM version....
This but an extended cab. They're missing the boat on this

·
Super Moderator
5,330 Posts
Seeing the present price of the Pilot without any of the goodies--a decked out RL is probably going to be in the high $40's. Too much money for many and the nice add-ons will only come on the fancy model.

You probably wont be able to pick and choose options. I just hope the NAV is available in one of the lower priced trim level, like the Highlander.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts