Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

141 - 160 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
483 Posts
This past year I started testing spray-on "ceramic" coatings using them on our personal vehicles as well as our work fleet. Used products from Mothers, Meguires, Turtle Wax, Griot's Garage, P&S, and one other that I bought online but cant remember the name. Anyway, every one of them wiped on and off easily. And to the naked eye, every one of them made the paint shine well. Some of the work vehicles are black, they looked great. Process I used was to wash the car with full strength Simple Green, then clay, then wash again, then apply the coatings exactly as instructed. With all of the products, the paint felt smooth and water pretty much fell off. Very impressive. What I found odd was how that smooth, just waxed feel washed off with plain water...including rain. Plain water didn't seem to reduce the water repellency, but the paint felt like a chalkboard. Made me wonder how well the products would prevent light scratches (such as when someone walking by brushes against the paint). Using commercially available car soap (not dish detergent or anything else) one washing seemed to reduce the water repellency for all, some more than others. This is what I determined:

Any time you use apply a product with high levels of silicone to a vehicle's paint, windows or plastic trim, etc., you're going to get decent water repellency and non-oxidized paint is going to look good. How long the products actually last is unknown and keep in mind, water repellency doesn't necessarily = protection. What kind of protection (such as UV) are these products actually providing? Who knows, UV protection for instance, is not what the manufactures are promoting. After about a year of trying different products and layering them until the bottles were empty...I'm back to using Meguires Ultimate synthetic paste. Have been using Ultimate paste for a couple of years, it wipes on and off easily. Doesn't build-up on black trim (although I'm really careful not to get it on there in the 1st place) and it hold's up well for a couple of months. My truck sits outside 90% of the time.

I used to use Nu Finish, which is a really good, durable synthetic product..but you have to be careful not to get it on black trim, and it makes paint chips stick out like a sore thumb. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Dodo Juice is an awesome name. Picturing someone finding a Dodo fossil and squeezing the crap out of it just to expel a few drops of precious elixir. We all saw how shiny Dodo’s were, right?
Maybe I’m the elder.

·
Registered
66 Posts
PRO yellow wax w-41. Its great for clean surfaces. 30 years now it has a glow like no other. You can buy online only its not on store shelves. Ancient Chinese secret ;)

·
Premium Member
2020 Black Edition
80 Posts
Just curious of what type of wax everyone uses.
Just got my BE 2 weeks ago. Ordered a new polymer product called TORQUE this last Fall and never got the chance to use it. Not cheap but hey. Well, yesterday I washed the truck and applied it. By far the easiest wax job I've ever done. Took 30 min and not much elbow grease. Spray on, wipe in with one microfiber and instantly wipe off with a different microfiber. Noticed how it wipes on with some resistance but wipes off slick and fast. More coats = more shine. Looks great! Now we'll see how long it lasts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Depends on how you use your Ridgeline. If you like waxing every six months any good wax works, especially for non off road vehicles. If you don’t like waxing often. There are Nano Ceramics that last 2 years and have great durability benefits. There are also spray on SIO2 waxes which last a little longer than 6 months. Both the wax and SIO2 waxes are easy to apply and some you just clean and dry the car, then spray the on and wash off. The full nano ceramic protector requires cleaning the car finish to as close as you want it to look when dry. If you to take time to mitigate the paint the results show on either wax or nano ceramic finishes. The full Nano Ceramic make the finish looks likes it’s totally wet all the time. It also protects the paint against us light, bird poop, and most rain residue. I have it on my Ridgeline and Camry so I wash once a month and towel dry. My Camry has had the Nano Ceramic a little longer. 3 years so far. The Nano Ceramic was getting thin. So I cleaned with alcohol, and added another layer of Nano Ceramic. This should last another 3 years. Nano Ceramic is now a diy project. It used to be a $100.00 plus a 30 ml bottle. Now a lot of Nano Ceramics are available under $20.00. Some are difficult to apply. The ones I use are great for easy application. Also when the Nano Ceramic is cured. You can apply a SIO2 wax on top which sheers water even faster when both are on the finish. True Nano Ceramic resists better than any wax or sealer. Nano is glass over clear coat. If you make a mistake take a simple polisher cream and reapply. I live in Austin, Texas, my brother lives in Denver. We both use this method and maintinence is so much lover and the finish is so much higher quality. The car looks new! I hope this helps. I have been detailing for about 20 years. Good luck!

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
483 Posts
Depends on how you use your Ridgeline. If you like waxing every six months any good wax works, especially for non off road vehicles. If you don’t like waxing often. There are Nano Ceramics that last 2 years and have great durability benefits. There are also spray on SIO2 waxes which last a little longer than 6 months. Both the wax and SIO2 waxes are easy to apply and some you just clean and dry the car, then spray the on and wash off. The full nano ceramic protector requires cleaning the car finish to as close as you want it to look when dry. If you to take time to mitigate the paint the results show on either wax or nano ceramic finishes. The full Nano Ceramic make the finish looks likes it’s totally wet all the time. It also protects the paint against us light, bird poop, and most rain residue. I have it on my Ridgeline and Camry so I wash once a month and towel dry. My Camry has had the Nano Ceramic a little longer. 3 years so far. The Nano Ceramic was getting thin. So I cleaned with alcohol, and added another layer of Nano Ceramic. This should last another 3 years. Nano Ceramic is now a diy project. It used to be a $100.00 plus a 30 ml bottle. Now a lot of Nano Ceramics are available under $20.00. Some are difficult to apply. The ones I use are great for easy application. Also when the Nano Ceramic is cured. You can apply a SIO2 wax on top which sheers water even faster when both are on the finish. True Nano Ceramic resists better than any wax or sealer. Nano is glass over clear coat. If you make a mistake take a simple polisher cream and reapply. I live in Austin, Texas, my brother lives in Denver. We both use this method and maintinence is so much lover and the finish is so much higher quality. The car looks new! I hope this helps. I have been detailing for about 20 years. Good luck!
Which full ceramic are you using?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have been using a can of Liquid Crystal that says 1991 on it. It came out somewhere around the time of Liquid Glass, which was in the 1980's. They were similar products with similar names. I also have Zymol with a date of 1998 and Turtle Wax 2001 with a date of 1997. Funny how long wax/polish seems to last, especially when you trade cars and leave the detailing up to someone else.

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
483 Posts
I have been using a can of Liquid Crystal that says 1991 on it. It came out somewhere around the time of Liquid Glass, which was in the 1980's. They were similar products with similar names. I also have Zymol with a date of 1998 and Turtle Wax 2001 with a date of 1997. Funny how long wax/polish seems to last, especially when you trade cars and leave the detailing up to someone else.
OMG I used Liquid Crystal in the 90's! Had a good scent.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Been using Zaino for years! Works great
When I do wax. I use zaino. (When I have the time and patience to).

On the fly. I’ve been using the maguires hybrid ceramic wax. And have been happy with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
I’ve been using the Meguiar’s hybrid ceramic spray on wax too. It is just so simple and lasts decently. I abuse the process a little now but just spray on a few sprays and hose off under spray pressure. I’ll often just spray rinse it clean with just water when a good coat is still on.

·
Super Moderator
5,458 Posts
Chemical guys, Butter Wet Wax, is easy to apply and leaves a wonderful shine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Meguiars White Wax for diamond white pearl RL ungaraged in MO.

If you have a dark color try Meguiars Black Wax. I've used this for dark colored vehicles and due to the black tint of the wax any residue near molding or seals is invisible.

141 - 160 of 161 Posts