Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with over 5,000 miles or so on their Ridgeline, I'm wondering at what mileage the OLM (oil life monitor) showed "service due". There is a service notice for an oil change when the OLM shows below 15%, another at 5% and a past due message beyond that.

The OLM measures how we drive and our driving habits in terms of revs, temps, long/short trips, etc. so I am interested in finding out not only your mileage when the notice appeared but also your driving habits, ie, long, highway miles in hot weather; lots of short trips; stop and go city driving, etc.

If the computer tells one person that service is due at lets say 3,000 miles and another at 7,000 miles for example, I would like to know the cause (which I assume would be reflected in your driving habits).

What is hard on an engine is two extremes - long, high speed driving in very hot weather and at the other end, lots of cold starts with very short trips. Most people fall in-between so maybe an idea of driving habits will shead some light on how this oil life monitor really works. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
218 Posts
My light came on a couple of days ago at about 5900 miles. I drive 110 miles M-F at highway speeds (I have a lead foot so I'm usually doing at least 75 MPH most of the time.) Then on weekends I use the truck to go boating, yard work, etc. I'll probably put 27K miles on him annually.

The Ridge is going in for his first service on Monday.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Mine came on Wednesday at 5500 miles < 15% oil life. Then reminded me every time I turned it on until I finally got my oil changed.

I drive 70+ miles per day, mixed in-town and freeway.

L

·
0 Posts
I took mine in before the service soon light came on the first oil change and that was at 4500 but the second one was just at 10,000 and it said 30% I think so I waited until it got to 15% to get it changed. I am at a hair over 14,000 now. No service soon light on yet. next service will be oil, diff, etc. change.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My indicator just says "service due soon" where the oil life indicator?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just over 5,750 when I got the friendly reminder. I do mixed highway and city driving in the high desert environment (can be dust in the area on windy days). My mileage per day, even per season varies greatly. I put the most amount of miles (street miles) on in the summer.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have been watching the oil life indicator fairly closely to try to figure out where I am in terms of what mileage I can expect before my first service. The display changed to 60% at the 3k mark, so it appears as though I’m paced for a 7500 mile first service. I drive ~85% highway miles, 80 per day for work. From the posts here it is obvious that there are variables involved.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is what I like (and expected) to see. Some variance due to driving habits but most are within that 5,000 to 7,500 oil change interval. I think Honda knew what it was doing with the OLM and I intend to follow it. I have a few Filtech filters so now all I have to figure out is what oil to use.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
FWIW, I'm using Mobil1 5W-20 during the warranty period, and then Mobil1 5W-30EP afterwards.

·
Registered
275 Posts
After what appears to be a long run on the original oil, what is the average mileage interval on subsequent changes?? :confused: I have always done oil and filter @ every 4 to 5k on past vehicles and they would run for ever. I'm curious to know what I will have to look forward to for the duration.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
JCh - It seems from this limited survey that around 5,000 miles is a fairly good OCI (oil change interval). Everything depends on your driving habits, eg, cold starts, short trips, stop and go, highway and high speed driving, trailer and hauling, etc. That is the beauty of the OLM (oil life monitor) that is part of the Ridgeline's software. It registers many of the factors that are important to oil life which mileage and time intervals alone do not consider.

If one goes strickly by the OLM, chances are you will have a clean and long lived engine. The only thing that puts a hickey on this is the type of oil you use. For example, the computer does not know if you are using junk dino oil or a super synthetic such as Redline or MobileOne. The synthetics last much longer but the computer does not know that. Also, different oil packages may be better or worse for the Honda engine.

I have learned that when it comes to 5W20 oils there are some great ones out there for our engines. Motorcraft is a super deal at under $2 a qt and has posted some impressive UOA (used oil analysis) for Hondas. It is a synthetic blend at 5W20. Havoline is a high moly content oil, which according to many oil geeks, is a plus for Honda engines. Chevron, Penzoil, ExxonMobile (the makers of Honda factory oil) and several others have all performed very well at 5,000 mile OCIs in the dino class. If you want to go synthetic, Redline and MobileOne are hard to beat and will add longer term protection - but at a significant price cost wise. The new Mobil 7500 with the added package enhancement should post very good UOA reports but it is still new and not much is known about it at the present time.

If 5,000 mile OCI is what you are comfortable with just disregard the Ridgeline's OLM (unless it registers 0 before then - highly unlikely). Use a good filter and quality, name brand oil and you should have no problem whatsoever, no matter your driving habits. The tricky part comes into play only when you want to get into very long OCIs (10,000 mile/one year intervals and plus).

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It has been several months since I started this thread and would like to resurrect it again. Many new members can chime in now as well as those with older Ridgelines that have had more than one "service due notice".

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I just got my first 'service due' notice from the OLM. About 6000 miles.

Funny thing, I had an appointment for the service on this past Thursday but had to reschedule because I simply ran out of time to go. The 'service due' message came on that night.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts