Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm trying to help my father purchase a new truck. I bought a 2019 RTL-E last August and I'm in love with it, naturally I'm biased and I'm trying to have him get a 2020 RTL-E.

The problem is he's been a "Big Truck" guy all his life - farming and Kansas country living. He's now in his late 50's and the only heavy thing he hauls around is a 1500lb tractor on a 15ft car trailer. Other than that he says he likes the big trucks for the cab space. This past February I had him, plus 3 adults, in my Ridgeline and I honestly felt we had plenty of space for rides around town. Maybe wouldn't want to travel cross country with the packed cab but our hour long drives were very comfortable.

So I'm looking to see what vehicle you all switched from and how you feel about the switch - give me the good and bad. Many thanks.

*It's a cab-less John Deere lawn tractor with loader and some attachments.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Think the important part here is if your dad feels like the RL had enough cab space for him. If not, then well... it is his vehicle. I came from a, early 90s 2 door coupe so moving to the truck was a huge leap in size and driving style. That said, I could not reach pedals or see out the windshield very well in the full size trucks unless they were the upper model fully adjustable ones that you could raise the pedals up and scoot the seat forward and tilted down. The RL is a great compromise vehicle for me as I need it for hauling "hobby farm" stuff and it was time for me to not rely on someone else to pick up hay or haul dirt. I had my first car for 13 years, so had completely out grown the vehicle in lifestyle.

For your dad, if all he needs to haul is a 1500lb tractor plus a 2000lb trailer (~3500lbs), it would fall within the tow rating for the AWD models... so really it would come down to if your dad likes it. When we helped my dad buy a new vehicle.... we convinced him to ditch the 3 on the tree truck and sell the silverado...and put him into a hybrid Rav4. lol. We deemed there to be no reason he needed to (or be tempted to) haul anything or be lifting anything that was large enough to need a truck bed for... and it needed to be easy to get in and out of.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,815 Posts
The problem is he's been a "Big Truck" guy all his life ...
And that's a "problem" because ?????

So I'm looking to see what vehicle you all switched from and how you feel about the switch - give me the good and bad.
^makes absolutely no difference^

@silkiechicken is spot-on, the RL will do your dad's towing as described but that doesn't matter if he doesn't like driving it or simply doesn't like being seen in it (perfectly legitimate criteria in Kansas farm country among his peers, IMO).

He's lucky you have one, do him a favor ... give him the quick tour, swap for a few days, let him decide on his own, and don't be too surprised or argue if he says "it's not for me".

My 'past trucks' for decades were all full-size, I still own an F-150, I can understand / relate to many good reasons why lots of folks prefer a full-size truck, there's times when I do too.

Don't be that 'pushy salesman' just because the RL works for you ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
I owned a crew cab Tundra and the cab interior space of the RL does not compare to the Tundra, especially in the second row. If he rarely hauls anything in the bed of his truck, where he can get the benefit of the hidden trunk, I think he will be disappointed in the size of the RL. The ride will be better in the RL, but I am getting the sense he likes the roominess of the big trucks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is my first pickup. My previous car was a Toyota Camry. For so long I avoided trucks because of an image I felt I didn’t fit into. But my wife really wanted a small travel trailer, so after a lot of research , I just bought an RTL-E. Now that I have, I’m thinking “ Why did I wait so long?” I’m retired and 65 and dreaming of what I can use this utility vehicle for.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,815 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I came from a 2006 Accord, this was the first truck I've personally owned (only borrowed dad's full sized trucks). My dad has the Ram hemi that is significantly lifted and loves it, he goes off the path to do bee keeping and the clearance is nice. When I was looking for a truck, I wanted it to fit in my garage with my wife's car (didn't want to dig out my truck in the snow to go to work). This kicked out all full size, and the other mid size I felt were more crammed. I feel like the RL is the happy medium for interior space but full size is still way better interior size wise. Like others have mentioned I wouldn't push it, unless your dad mentions a distaste for his large truck :) Although I'm quite happy with the RL I would never tell my dad he should get one unless he inquires about it (he has driven it on a road trip). I think mentally someone has to be accepting of it first. My dad razzed me about my RL, I gave him crap about his practical Prius he loves :p

·
Registered
114 Posts
I appreciate your enthusiasm because I'm enthusiastic too (and I don't even own one, yet). Sometimes we go out for an ice cream cone. I get really excited and tell my wife she has to try this flavour, forgetting she's lactose intolerant. I can imagine you would like the best for him, but it's ok if it's not his cup of tea. Enjoy your RL, and what's more important is to enjoy the time you have with your father.

Take care and give your dad a big hug.
2dogsandcatthatmisstheirdad

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,358 Posts
I came from a 2017 Ram 1500 Laramie (and a 2018 Mini Cooper S). I was going to sell the Mini regardless and the thought of only having a big truck to drive around running errands was not appealing. The penalty for downsizing is less in the Ridgeline due to the space/width of the cab and having a trunk. I do miss the UConnect system though-Honda is behind in electronics. I think it will fill the bill, but we'll see after our first towing trip next month.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I came from a 2006 Ridgeline RT (base model) and have had the 2020 RTL-E only about a week.
Before that was a 96 F-150 regular cab long bed. They have all been good trucks, but I would never go back to a body on frame truck for my needs.
A very good friend has a 2019 Ram 2500 MegaCab Cummins Laramie Longhorn. Fantastic truck but he hauls boats and campers and 4 kids and two dogs.
He also owns a tire store in Kansas so he gets a lot of pickup truck owners through his shop. He mentioned one day that Ridgeline owners are the only ones who universally praise their trucks.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
So I came from a 2006 Ridgeline RT (base model) and have had the 2020 RTL-E only about a week.
Before that was a 96 F-150 regular cab long bed. They have all been good trucks, but I would never go back to a body on frame truck for my needs.
A very good friend has a 2019 Ram 2500 MegaCab Cummins Laramie Longhorn. Fantastic truck but he hauls boats and campers and 4 kids and two dogs.
He also owns a tire store in Kansas so he gets a lot of pickup truck owners through his shop. He mentioned one day that Ridgeline owners are the only ones who universally praise their trucks.
So, I drive BoF trucks at work, typically 2500-series. I've been working from home for the past couple months, and driving the Ridgeline whenever I needed to go somewhere. I went back to the office last week and had to move one of the trucks. Got in it, started it up and proceeded to drive off... but it felt like the thing was stuck in 4Low. Double-checked everything and it was indeed in 2High. After driving it a few miles, I got used to it again. But it was a great reminder of just how smooth and silky the Ridgeline is compared to many BoF trucks. I was very happy to get back in the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wasn't very good about my likes and dislikes. I recently went to Menards and got 28 bags of mulch (about 2 yards) in the old RL. When I get home I swing the tailgate open sideways and walk up to the bumper and start pulling out bags onto the wheelbarrow. On the F-150 I could remove the tailgate but I'm not sure how easy that is any more with "sophisticated" tailgates. Ridgelines don't have any kind of soft opening for the tailgate. It flops open or you ease it down with arm power. I have had 4 yards of bulk mulch in the back but it required a tarp that covered half the cab so I could fold up the edges and hold the mound together for the trip home. Handled fine and I did that multiple times. And the side opening tailgate meant I wasn't reaching as much to unload. The trunk is great but you need to line the bed if your hauling bulk rock or mulch to keep the fines from making it into the gap around the trunk lid. Doesn't hurt anything but takes time to clean out. Bigger space that can actually hold luggage out of the weather if the bed is full of gear and the cab is full of people and dogs. Not as convenient or as large overall as the RamBoxes on my friends truck but can handle larger pieces since it is one big opening. I've hauled 14 foot lumber home by supporting the load by the sliding window sill and in front of the tailgate. Two 4x6 timbers and mulitple 2x8s no problem. Not as easy as an 8' bed pickup but do they have those anymore? I love the suggestion of swapping with your dad for some time and see how he likes it. One more dislike about the new one....fold down adjustable armrests are okay but I really like a full width armrest between driver and passenger. But I like the bigger console storage of the new design. Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a 2018 Ford Escape as my company car, a 2003 GMC Envoy as my personal car, and a 1986 Chevy C-10 as the trash and mulch hauler. I liked driving the Envoy for the cabin space and comfort, as it was top of the line when purchased, and we kept it maintained throughout the 17 years we had it. The Chevy was for truck stuff; used maybe once a week. When my company got out of the company car program and went to a mileage reimbursement on personal vehicles, it made sense to replace all 3 with a single vehicle for myself. I'm really glad I went with the RTL-E. For me, it has combined the best attributes of each of the other vehicles into a single one that will fit in the garage.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
395 Posts
my previous was a 2017 Ridgeline ;)

Other than bad timing on the purchase, I bought in Feb, before the Corona outbreak - I'm guessing I would have gotten a much better deal - but who knew? I love it, but I loved my last one too.

I think most people, myself very much included, would love to be able to put together their perfect vehicle, and because of this nothing will ever measure up to what we want. I just look at it as tradeoffs when going from 1 vehicle to another, you'll never get everything perfect but if it makes you happy, it's a winner

·
Registered
'20 BE w/Skid Plates, Upgraded Stereo
41 Posts
I previously owned an Audi A4, and my wife has a Q7. Since we have kids in and into college, I noticed how often I'd borrowed trucks to get things to/from local hardware stores, local trips to get away, etc. I'd decided that we needed a truck. After driving the F150 for a weekend, the 1/2-ton trucks seemed too big. So I found out about the Ridgeline after researching mid-size trucks.

I rented a RTL for a week to try it out (via Turo) and marveled at how functional it is... or how geared toward one-person the A4 is. Trips to Home Depot weren't triggers for anxiety. I even picked up a 600 lbs shed! Bottom line: I was sold. The next week, I returned the RL rental, traded in the A4, and bought a new '20 BE.

Barring the stereo, the RL is a fantastic vehicle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I came from a 2011 HHR. It gave me upwards of 34mpg highway, but the eye-opener was the 29-31 mpg my 2020 RL AWD delivers. Outstanding for a 4500 pound vehicle.

Its uncanny the link between owning a full size truck & owning a motorcycle. My friends: These guys own full size 4X4 trucks but drive in 2WD, bought the upscale expensive versions, tow less than 95% of the time, & haul little in their beds. But swear that 1950’s body on frame trucks rule. Oh ya, one has the 6.2L Corvette motor that burns 94 octance & had both heads rebuilt under warranty.
The other had his Ford Platinum Coyote 5.0L motor totally replaced under warranty.

Full size trucks are over-rated, heavy, thirsty, & you have to spend bigger bucks on upscale trim levels. My RL has everything these domestic trucks have, has better quality parts, better built, better engineering, and proven engines & transmissions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts