Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A brake fluid flush/change along with a power steering fluid flush change... unscheduled?

Any help appreciated, trying to understand some service records on a potential buy... wondering what might have prompted these...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
gullible owner comes to mind.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would make me happy if it were that... but it was done at the Honda dealer, not a "lube and pay"... I wonder if they saw fluid on something and did not know whether it was brake or steering.... Just wonder if it is herring?

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,340 Posts
Not sure I understand your question or concern? Brake fluid should be changed every couple of years as it tends to absorb water. Owners manual even specifies this. Honda doesn't list an interval for power steering fluid change but its probably a good idea after 5 years or so.

Anything is possible but I certainly don't think that any major concerns should be aroused by having the brake fluid and power steering fluid changed.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
You didn't say what year or mileage on the vehicle you're looking at, but: What you have found is a very good thing. This was a very conscientious owner who did the best preventive maintenance. You will find the biggest sticklers for preventive maintenance on this site will do exactly what you are seeing, and some will do it more frequently than others. I don't fall into the 'stickler' category, but I just changed my PS fluid last month (150K miles & 10 years).... probably should have been done at least every 5 years. Still haven't done the brake fluid, but I am horribly delinquent with that, even in a mild climate area. That should be done at least every 3 years..... but very few people ever do it...... but it really should be done.... brake fluid degrades after that.
Be glad with what you found! ! !

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Brake Fluid change should be done every 2yrs that's normal.
If previous owner had power steering changed should not be a concern so people do it. I have a 2000 Acura purchased new only 98,000 on it now.
I have had the power steering fluid changed in it 3 times.
The first time the car was 3yrs old got a coupon from Independent Honda/Acura shop guy that had shop worked at Honda Dealer service when I got my 1980 Prelude new. I had taken my 2 Accords there a few times for oil changes The 2nd time I had power steering changed was about 3yrs later at Pat Goss Garage form Motor Week TV show. The last time the Acura dealer did it they had service coupon for brake fluid & power steering.
Also had 2009 Ford Focus in family done at Ford Dealership car was purchased new for nephew he dogs the car so all fluids were changed last year around this time. But suggested time for power steering change is every 3yrs.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I do brake fluid every 3 years. If I lived near a large body of water I would have it done every 2 years.

Chip H.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,582 Posts
Honda calls for the brake fluid change every 3 years. Personally, I work to that time frame--- more or less.

Power steering fluid change is not called for officially. But unofficially, it's a good idea to change it regularly too. Regularly can be your own definition. I more or less aim for 3-ish years/50k miles.

Unless I misunderstand the OP's question, those fluid changes are a good thing as others mentioned above. I can't think of a scenario where those fluid changes would indicate cause for alarm. Rather, more of an indication of a well maintained vehicle.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
If a dealership is recommending those two fluid changes every three years, you need to keep going to that dealership. The brake fluid is a given at that time frame regardless of mileage, but the power steering fluid almost always is overlooked. I changed mine for the first time a few years ago when the truck was about 5 years old with 110k miles. I was experiencing some pretty bad whining from the pump when it was below freezing. The fluid was dark and nasty, but a full fluid swap made the whining go away and the steering got much lighter. I now suck out the reservoir and refill with fresh fluid every other oil change. It's an important fluid that is overlooked (apparently) by Honda.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
If a dealership is recommending those two fluid changes every three years, you need to keep going to that dealership. The brake fluid is a given at that time frame regardless of mileage, but the power steering fluid almost always is overlooked. I changed mine for the first time a few years ago when the truck was about 5 years old with 110k miles. I was experiencing some pretty bad whining from the pump when it was below freezing. The fluid was dark and nasty, but a full fluid swap made the whining go away and the steering got much lighter. I now suck out the reservoir and refill with fresh fluid every other oil change. It's an important fluid that is overlooked (apparently) by Honda.
.... and it's a very quick, easy, & inexpensive thing that ANYBODY can do if they have a turkey baster handy! :)
Seriously, it doesn't make sense that Honda does not specify this as a maintenance item. Every owner would benefit by changing this if you own your car for more than a few short years (or if you buy used).
This is hands down the easiest of any fluid maintenance services for your vehicle, other than filling your windshield washer fluid. :)

FYI, it's highly recommended that you use only Honda PS fluid for this. It requires less than one small bottle.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
.... and it's a very quick, easy, & inexpensive thing that ANYBODY can do if they have a turkey baster handy! :)
Seriously, it doesn't make sense that Honda does not specify this as a maintenance item. Every owner would benefit by changing this if you own your car for more than a few short years (or if you buy used).
This is hands down the easiest of any fluid maintenance services for your vehicle, other than filling your windshield washer fluid. :)

FYI, it's highly recommended that you use only Honda PS fluid for this. It requires less than one small bottle.
Completely agree. However, if it's been a long time since you've changed the fluid or even if you've never done it, it's advisable to do a complete fluid flush. This is achieved by disconnecting the return line to the fluid reservoir, attaching another length of hose over the line and directing that hose down below the truck into a catch can. Then, suck out the reservoir (or just simply replace it with a new one) and have someone else start the truck for a few seconds to let the pump push out all the old fluid. From there, reconnect the return line to the reservoir and fill the reservoir to the top with fresh fluid. Again, have someone start the truck and be ready to dump in more fluid as it gets sucked through the system. Have the person in the truck turn the wheels from lock to lock a few times to bleed the system of any air. You can raise the wheels off the ground for easier turning. Then, turn the truck off and ensure your PS fluid level is good. Done!

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your input, definitely feel better about it. Concern was not so much about either change in itself as the two happening at the same time, was wondering if that was a sign of something else happening, the way you would get an alignment with a TC swap or something like that. It's a 2009 with 117k and has very detailed service history with Honda dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,582 Posts
Personally, it strikes me that you may have found a winner (if the price is right). Few used vehicles that I've seen have much in the way of maintenance history.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Does it say when the services were done and at what mileage? It is possible that the original owner was experiencing some power steering pump whine or soft brake pedal, the dealership could have suggested it. Then again, there could have been no other reason other than "it's been a long time and you've never had these fluids changed". Either way, if the maintenance history is solid for it and the timing belt service has already been done, I think you've found yourself a really good truck there. An 09 with only 117k miles with all that history is a gold mine. Could you provide a link to the sales website? What are they asking for it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts