Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

How much of a premium would you pay for a Ridgeline Diesel?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Honda were to fulfill our wildest dreams (well, for at least some of us) and introduce a diesel model for, say, the 2011 model year, how much of a premium would you be willing to pay for this option?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't care about the gas mileage. I just sold my Ridgeline because it doesn't have any torque below 2000rpm.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't care about the gas mileage. I just sold my Ridgeline because it doesn't have any torque below 2000rpm.
You bring up a good point and one of the inherent advantages of diesel engines is that they produce considerably more torque than their gasoline brethren of similar displacement. Personally, I'd be more than happy with a Ridgeline diesel with a 2 to 2.5L four-cylinder engine and gladly give up some horsepower for the increase in fuel economy and torque.

·
Registered
770 Posts
If Honda were to fulfill our wildest dreams (well, for at least some of us) and introduce a diesel model for, say, the 2011 model year, how much of a premium would you be willing to pay for this option?
I'd probably replace my Ridge earlier than I'd otherwise do. Maybe $1k higher than the gas version.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Honda would have to pay me to drive a diesel.;)

I know that the newer diesels such as the Mercedes BlueTec are almost noiseless and odor-reduced but in the end, they're still more expensive to purchase and maintain. Finding diesel fuel at any self-serve (especially smaller towns) will always remain difficult.

Another factor is when living in sub-zero climates and having to plug the darn thing in overnite to keep the block warm.:(

Unless I'm hauling a few tons of lumber or steel half way across the country and keep my truck idling all-day, why would I want to buy one?

This is a similar discussion to buying or leasing a hybrid. Overpriced, limited battery life, environmental impact on nickel cadmium waste sites, etc...:)

·
Registered
770 Posts
This is a similar discussion to buying or leasing a hybrid. Overpriced, limited battery life, environmental impact on nickel cadmium waste sites, etc...:)
Nickel Metal Hydride batteries... to my knowlege, do not contain Cadmium.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Honda would have to pay me to drive a diesel.;)
Your response reminds me of this story:

A man sits down next to a beautiful woman at a bar and says, "This is not my usual approach but you are so absolutely beautiful that I can't help myself! Would you be willing to go to bed with me for $1 million?"

She thinks for a moment and replies, "Okay."

He then responds, "Would you go to bed with me for $100?"

She slaps him and says, "What kind of girl do you think I am?"

He responds, "We've already established that, we're just negotiating the price!"

So, Andy, what's your price? A free tire/wheel upgrade? Tonneau cover? Side steps? A feature part in Honda commercials (i.e., Mr. Opportunity goes Canadian)? ;)

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Nickel Metal Hydride batteries... to my knowlege, do not contain Cadmium.
My bad...sorry! I did mean Nickel Metal Hydride; although I'm sure you knew that already....;):)

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I wouldnt pay a premium for a diesel option.

I doubt I would buy a diesel in the first place but if an RL with a diesel got 40+ mpg, I would take a look.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I doubt I would buy a diesel in the first place but if an RL with a diesel got 40+ mpg, I would take a look.
With the amount of driving that you do I'd certainly think so! Imagine how much money you'd have already saved if your RL got 40mpg? With your 170K plus miles it would almost certainly outweigh any reasonable purchase price increase and/or paying 10-20% more for diesel than for 87 regular.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
With the amount of driving that you do I'd certainly think so! Imagine how much money you'd have already saved if your RL got 40mpg? With your 170K plus miles it would almost certainly outweigh any reasonable purchase price increase and/or paying 10-20% more for diesel than for 87 regular.

thats why my next vehicle will be a gas sipper(accord, camry). :)

I have however backed off getting rid of the RL once its payed off. It will be a decent 2nd vehicle, and worth more to me as that than I would get for it in trade in value.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
per my calculations (170K miles @ 20mpg with 87 regular at an average of $3) you've spent over $25K on fuel for your Ridgeline. If it were a 40mpg diesel and that fuel were 20% more than gasoline you'd only have spent about $15K for a whopping $10K in savings on fuel! Given that I'd certainly think you'd strongly "consider" paying $2-3K more for a vehicle with that option.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
per my calculations (170K miles @ 20mpg with 87 regular at an average of $3) you've spent over $25K on fuel for your Ridgeline. If it were a 40mpg diesel and that fuel were 20% more than gasoline you'd only have spent about $15K for a whopping $10K in savings on fuel! Given that I'd certainly think you'd strongly "consider" paying $2-3K more for a vehicle with that option.
I really dont like diesels, how they sound, the heavy exhaust, etc. I dont tow, or need additional low end torque either. If it was the same price I might overlook the issues I have with diesel.

with that said the savings numbers sound good, heck I drive as much as I do just so I could save $200,000 on the house I bought vs what it would have cost me where I used to live.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
$3K for 25+ mpg city.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Diesel fuel nationwide is the same price as unleaded gasoline. For the last three months diesel fuel has been slightly lower price than unleaded gasoline. Traditionally diesel fuel costs less than gasoline.

We've seen a couple of years of anomoly in the price of diesel fuel due to the switch to ULSD fuel. The refineries are coming online fast and we should see diesel fuel prices stabilize at below gasoline prices.

Additionally diesel powered vehicles traditionally have a much higher resale value than a similarly equipped gasoline powered vehicle. In many or most cases the resale premium exceeds the additional price paid for the diesel engine. For example many used 2006 Jetta TDI's are selling at or near their original sales price. The same car with a gasoline engine is selling at 55% of MSRP.

So in reality the up front costs are offset with higher resale. The fuel costs less than gasoline and provides a 25 - 30% fuel economy premium, and the driveability of a diesel is overwhelmingly preferred by most drivers in blind tests (VWoA 2007 test of 1000 drivers).

Unfortunately it's a moot point since Honda has foolishly abandoned diesel technology for North America.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Diesel fuel nationwide is the same price as unleaded gasoline. For the last three months diesel fuel has been slightly lower price than unleaded gasoline. Traditionally diesel fuel costs less than gasoline.
Unfortunately that doesn't appear to have happened around here as yet but diesel prices have come down and are mostly less than 10% more than 87 regular these days. I heard or read somewhere recently that if only 30% (or something like that) of us switched to diesel-powered vehicles we would eliminate our need to import foreign crude! Last year over 50% of all new vehicles sold in Europe were diesels, so if we were only about half as successful as they've been in switching we'd pretty much cut off the foreign suppliers at the knees. Wouldn't that be lovely?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm a diesel fan. I've had VW diesels, GM 4.3 liter diesel and Ford F350 Powerstrokes in the past.

I loved every one of them (especially that VW diesel -- '79 Rabbit).

I'd gladly pay a 2 to 3K premium for a well thought out diesel powertrain (don't forget the trans needs to be up to the task as well) and I would trade/sell my '06 immediately for one.

I was all ready for a diesel Accord but they never came to be :(

·
Registered
266 Posts
I too prefer a diesel for torque and towing. I would pay 2 to 3 thousand more if the city MPG went to 20 and the hyw went to 28. I put about 30000 plus a yr on in milelage. I average about 20 ow and if diesel should average about 28 then I would save $1300 a yr at $3.00 a gallon and the unleaded and diesel were same price which they are currently here. Plus I would gain the towing and low end torque. That is cool.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I'd pay $3000 for 30+ mpg. I think that's the breakpoint for it being cost effective. I would, however, do actual calculations before purchasing.

My biggest question is, What is Honda's track record with diesel engines? Yes, Honda's the world's biggest engine manufacturer, but most of those are small displacement 4-stroke gasoline engines. I would not pay a premium for a Honda vehicle with a diesel engine built by any manufacturer other than Mercedes-Benz or Volvo. And since Volvo is now essentially Ford, let's just say, I'd pay $3000 premium for a Honda Ridgeline with a Mercedes diesel clean-burn engine.

I've ample experience (via a coworker) with VW's so-called diesels. Her diesel has been in the shop more than its been on the road...

P.S. (via edit) Why are people assuming that a Honda clean-burn diesel V6 would provide any more low-end torque than the 3.6L VTEC? That's just an assumption...

1 - 20 of 265 Posts