Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good Diagnostic scanner at an affordable price? I've been considering this one on Amazon:

Any pros, cons, recommendations? I assume you can google the diagnostic code to find out what it means. The reason for my request is our 2003 Honda CRV had a check engine light a few weeks ago, now has a flashing "D" Drive indicator. I've done some research on the flashing "D" but want to capture any codes it's storing.

Figures this happens when we buy a new Subaru to replace the CRV, but decide to keep it instead of trading it in...I don't need an expensive one, just one that does the job.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
This bluetooth version has served me well. If you are wired, you may end up reading your scanner tool from an awkward position, with the BT you can check it from wherever (driver's seat).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

In the few instances where you need something more powerful, it's off to the auto parts store for a freebie session with their more expensive ones.

BTW, googling the codes is not for the faint of heart... be ready for the sky to be falling.

·
Administrator
16,068 Posts
Instead of wasting $15, just go down to your local chain auto parts store and have them read the codes for free with their generic OBD II scanner. All "P" (powertrain) codes (engine and transmission) will show up, but you won't see manufacturer specific data. For that, you'll need Honda's practically unaffordable HDS. Codes resulting in CELs and flashing Ds should show up on any ODB II scanner.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I bought one like above..if i had to do it again..i may consider one of those bluetooth plug ins to laptop..
I like that. Enables the use of powerful software without paying for better hardware.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I am very happy with an ELM327 bluetooth OBDII-scanner which you can find really cheap these days. I run an app called Torque on my smartphone, and can pull the codes easily (and remove them) + have different "dashboards" set up for real time reading of data from the ECU. Besides, Torque has a real cool racing meter set up and many other features.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I think anyone with a android device should have the ELM327 bluetooth and Torque Pro App. Cheep as hell and works very good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts