Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the sides,rear and tailgate apart to see the quailty, wow i was shocked to fin some of the metal as thin as 16ga. i soundproofed these areas and WOW what a difference. If you thought this was a quit ride you should try this. I am not saying the ridgeline is noisy before anyone jumps to that reply i am just saying that it is a great improvement here are some pics. the tailgate is alot better.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
RIDGE PATROL said:
I took the sides,rear and tailgate apart to see the quailty, wow i was shocked to fin some of the metal as thin as 16ga. i soundproofed these areas and WOW what a difference. If you thought this was a quit ride you should try this. I am not saying the ridgeline is noisy before anyone jumps to that reply i am just saying that it is a great improvement here are some pics. the tailgate is alot better.
What did you use for sound proofing????

Gary P

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
This is great! very nicely done RIDGE PATROL. Roughly how long did it take you so do the job and where did you get the Hushmat? If you posted that info on another thread I may have seen the thread title but I have not yet had the chance to read the whole thread yet. Please bear with me. It was not too long ago that I was able to keep current on all of the posts and read all of them. I just can't do it anymore. I am so far behind that I know that I am missing some good info.
I think it's that :) LadyRidge!:rolleyes: How does she do it! :confused: Gotta love it!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought it from an audio store local, but you can do a search for it on google i am sure that there are some good prices out on the net, in regards to how long it took i would have to estimate because i did everthing over 2 days approx 12 hrs. I removed the entire interior except the dash and headliner hush matted all the interior and bed. Installed 2 tweeters in top of door, put a 2 guage power wire kit in from the battery to the back of the cab. Installed 2 line packs for the rca's behind the radio, ran 4 sets of speaker wire, 2 trigger wires, mounted power block and ground block, installed 1 rockford amp so far then put all of it back together. But i think it took about 2 hrs start-finish for the bed, 6hrs for the interior. i might post some pics soon if people are interested.

·
Registered
406 Posts
All that work, and you didn't mount a bass unit in that space in the tailgate? Thank you.
Do you (or anyone else) think the cover over that area can be modified to put in a hinge-mounted beverage holder? I really need something like that in the bed.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Great work, Ridge Patrol! I wouldn't even know where to begin...:)

L

·
0 Posts
iROC said:
Great work, Ridge Patrol! I wouldn't even know where to begin...:)
I'm with you buddy. The only thing I take apart on Ridgena is....umm...err...now that I think about it...nothing!! :D
Sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Good idea!
But I am just wondering and Not trying to be smart or something but won't the thick insulation trap water and moisture which will just condensate inside the pannels when you park the truck in the sun and cause corosion? Because I don't think those pannels are waterproof and water always finds its way,thats why you rustproof that area.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this is from the hushmat site

HushMat has evolved over several years of automotive history. The HushMat Ultra line of materials have been specified and used by North American Automotive Original Equipment Manufacturers (“OEM’s) for over 15 years. Vehicles produced by General Motors, Ford Motor, DaimlerChrysler, Mitsubishi, Toyota and Honda all specify and use this material. RMD, LLC has been established to utilize the lesson’s learned during this time to refine and maximize the performance characteristics of these products. We are proud to offer the finest vibration damping, tape and absorption technology available to the mobile electronics market.

RMD, LLC offers Ultra, Quiet Tape, and Silencer Absorptive Foam under the HushMat brand. We provide eight (8) stock keeping units (“SKU’s”) in attractive retail packaging. RMD, LLC has high energy, creative marketing, customer focus and a driven quality culture. We will support our customers, sales representatives and our employees to provide the best service, products and support available in the industry.

RMD, LLC appears to be one of the only, if not the only, provider of materials to this market with the manufacturing experience and history with its own material. We believe this is a significant competitive advantage.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
• What sound reduction can I expect from a HushMat installation?
Our efforts in the North American Automotive Industry have shown dramatic dB reductions. We have reduced interior noise by up to 10 dB. 3-5 dB is readily attained in most installations. We eliminate the vibrational/engine/road noise so you can experience the pure sound of your vehicle and mobile electronic system. It is not uncommon for a vehicle with complete HushMat surface coverage to achieve up to a 15-20 dB reduction in structural vibration generated noise and road noise.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
• Why doesn't HushMat offer an asphalt or PVC damper like the “other” guys?
Our 15+ years of experience in the automotive industry and history of automotive lab testing indicate that the adhesion properties and acoustic properties of these materials available are inferior. The materials are:
• difficult to conform to contoured surfaces,
• require solvent cleaning/washing of the surface before installation,
• require heating of the material and surface during installation,
• market feedback indicates that some even fall off in cold weather!
• Time consuming and difficult to handle during installation
<back to top>

• How can I treat higher temperature “hot spots” on my car?
There are several areas on a vehicle interior that experience above average temperatures. The front of dash, the tunnel, near the header, above the exhaust to name a few. HushMat Ultra Custom comes in dimensions that offer excellent thermal properties. The thicker viscoelastic layer and thicker foil laminate provide an excellent treatment for these difficult application areas. Call or e-mail us and we can provide you with the best material for these applications. HushMat Ultra and Ultra have been tested to perform at up to 400 degrees F.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Awesome post RIDGE PATROL! does it seem to be more quiet in the cab than before?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
to answer the water / rust question. I put Dynamat on my 89 Civic a couple of years after I bought the car off the showroom floor back in the tail end of 88. I just sold the car a few months ago. When I prepped the vehicle for sale, I took a look at the Dynamat I installed over 15 years ago. Not a speck of rust or moisture anywhere.

·
Registered
802 Posts
One thing I noticed was how easily sound transfers outside from the inside. One time I got out with it still running and shut the door. The stereo was almost as loud outside as from inside. Really surprised me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Your absolutley right stinger I had to remove all the panels to install the access tonneau cover at that time I soaked that area with undercoting oil for rust proofing. Any matting of any sort is a sponge and will hold moisture, just like the under lay of the carpets in the cab you get them wet and you wont have a floor very long!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
16 gauge? That's fairly thick for some automotive applications. Remember a couple of things. The Government demands that vehicles get a certain amount of MPG, the easiest way to do that (for ALL manufacturers) is to keep weight down. But how you bend that metal can make a huge difference in ridgidity..no pun intended. I work at Mitsubishi where we build the Endeavor and I can tell you that when some of that metal is welded together you have a VERY ridgid vehicle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts