Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This social distancing thing is boring as hell, so here's a dumb idea to pass the time. Show us what you keep in your trunk.

20200322_115017.jpg

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mine is full of toilet paper, don't tell anyone.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Mine is full of toilet paper, don't tell anyone.
Day 5 Log

March 20, 2020, 1524 hours

Toilet paper supplies are down to 17 rolls, today I was forced to open a pack of bacon and make eggs, bacon, buttered toast. I fear this life of despair may be permanent.

I beg of you to send help, we don't have much time.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Day 5 Log

March 20, 2020, 1524 hours

Toilet paper supplies are down to 17 rolls, today I was forced to open a pack of bacon and make eggs, bacon, buttered toast. I fear this life of despair may be permanent.

I beg of you to send help, we don't have much time.
I don't have a square to spare.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
180 Posts
That's a lot of stuff!
I only have a cargo net, some packing material to use when I put groceries or something in there to keep it from sliding, and my hitch and ball which is in the assigned cut out in the tray. I have the trunk dividers.
I keep some tie down straps and bungees in the little side compartment in the bed, not in the trunk.

·
Administrator
14,021 Posts
...just the usual "junk" in my trunk:
  • Furniture blanket to protect the Ridgeline's bed from damage when moving things
  • Straps
  • Jumper cables
  • Air compressor
As far as toilet paper goes, I normally buy that in bulk like most other items, but was starting to get low. I didn't need another quarter pallet of toilet paper, but that's all I could find at Sam's yesterday, so I've been donating to anyone who really needs it. I don't use many paper products as I have a bidet and use washable napkins and bar mops.

·
Registered
760 Posts
My G1 trunk got pretty messy sometimes - ok most of the time - as I used to keep various tools including a chain saw in there a lot + bungi cords, etc. Not a good combination.

Got some dividers for the G2 trunk - very helpful - and keeping it neat/clean so far. 2 ratchet straps. cordless circular saw, air compressor, trailer hitch, a dishwasher panel and insulation (temporarily; out in a few days).

General trunk question. I don't carry the gasoline can in there (strapped safely in the bed if transport is necessary), but what about diesel fuel? I ask because I have a subcompact diesel tractor at the family lake place, and would transport the small fuel can (1.25 gal) in the trunk, for transport only, if it's not dangerous to do so. It would fit right into one of those cubby spaces with no room to slide around. Don't think it's explosive like gas, right?

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
My G1 trunk got pretty messy sometimes - ok most of the time - as I used to keep various tools including a chain saw in there a lot + bungi cords, etc. Not a good combination.

Got some dividers for the G2 trunk - very helpful - and keeping it neat/clean so far. 2 ratchet straps. cordless circular saw, air compressor, trailer hitch, a dishwasher panel and insulation (temporarily; out in a few days).

General trunk question. I don't carry the gasoline can in there (strapped safely in the bed if transport is necessary), but what about diesel fuel? I ask because I have a subcompact diesel tractor at the family lake place, and would transport the small fuel can (1.25 gal) in the trunk, for transport only, if it's not dangerous to do so. It would fit right into one of those cubby spaces with no room to slide around. Don't think it's explosive like gas, right?
Diesel flash point is between 125 and 180 degrees F. Taking worst case, 125 F is possible in your trunk. for example you live in Phoenix and sun is shining down on that black lid.
Flash point means the temp at which enough vapors are liberated to create a flammable mixture with air.
You still need an ignition source which would be static spark from the plastic surfaces in the trunk.
Of course if the container is sealed there are no vapors and no risk. If the container leaks then the vapors would still be below the lower flammable limit (lfl) concentration unless it was very hot as mentioned above.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Diesel flash point is between 125 and 180 degrees F. Taking worst case, 125 F is possible in your trunk. for example you live in Phoenix and sun is shining down on that black lid.
Flash point means the temp at which enough vapors are liberated to create a flammable mixture with air.
You still need an ignition source which would be static spark from the plastic surfaces in the trunk.
Of course if the container is sealed there are no vapors and no risk. If the container leaks then the vapors would still be below the lower flammable limit (lfl) concentration unless it was very hot as mentioned above.
Great, specific info - just what I needed. Won’t do it when it’s super hot .

Thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
14,021 Posts
The more likely ignition source would be the electrical arcs that form between the brushes and commutator of the DC motor in the release actuator when the trunk open button is pressed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The more likely ignition source would be the electrical arcs that form between the brushes and commutator of the DC motor in the release actuator when the trunk open button is pressed.
Didn't think of that. Good point!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well maybe I won't be so lazy and just bungi it tight in the bed, as in the past :).
Chances would be slim but not impossible. freak accidents do happen. you'd have to have a leaky container, a very high liquid temp, and a spark. Very unlikely there would ever be a high enough concentration of hydrocarbon vapor to ignite, but you could drive with the drain plug removed to circulate the air and make the probability that much lower.

I know it can be a pain to bungee your gas can. I always think it will take 5 seconds and turns into some engineering design with three bungees and a piece of rope and then the can still moves :)

·
Registered
760 Posts
Chances would be slim but not impossible. freak accidents do happen. you'd have to have a leaky container, a very high liquid temp, and a spark. Very unlikely there would ever be a high enough concentration of hydrocarbon vapor to ignite, but you could drive with the drain plug removed to circulate the air and make the probability that much lower.

I know it can be a pain to bungee your gas can. I always think it will take 5 seconds and turns into some engineering design with three bungees and a piece of rope and then the can still moves :)
Exactly, lol. Plus in the trunk with the dividers the space where it'd ride contains it just right - minimal movement.

A couple years ago my wife & I were driving on the expressway and there was a new pickup truck on the berm with an inferno in the bed - flames going high in the air, like a Bruce Willis movie - and I assumed it was a gas-can accident. That made me extra cautious on transporting, which I need to do once in a while because we take care of my FIL's lake cabin - lots of mowing, weedeating, and it's an hour away in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
88 Posts
my trunk looks very similar to the op's pic. maybe a few more straps and tie downs. sure keeps my back seat area cleaner and more available for seating. my work silverado has the back seat full of stuff!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts