Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*BIG*

Although im still having issues with the damn phone staying connected more than 5 in, i see aa to be completely useless. The car has nav which has live traffic updates through hd radio. Waze is not an aa yet, so thats useless. You can listen to anything from the phone through bt....

So other than having the controls on the screen, whats the big deal? What am i missing?

And good god, why are pilot owners having hissy fits that theirs dont have it....?

·
Registered
561 Posts
*BIG*

Although im still having issues with the damn phone staying connected more than 5 in, i see aa to be completely useless. The car has nav which has live traffic updates through hd radio. Waze is not an aa yet, so thats useless. You can listen to anything from the phone through bt....

So other than having the controls on the screen, whats the big deal? What am i missing?

And good god, why are pilot owners having hissy fits that theirs dont have it....?
Over a 4,000 mile cross country drive I tried both the Garmin and the AA. The AA advantages are easy, intuitive understanding of normal voice commands and widespread, effectively instant traffic information. The interface with the truck though is very limited. The Garmin advantages are seamless integration with the system and traffic speed limits (really helpful when signs are miles apart). It routed us around a major traffic jam on I-90 that we could confirm separately with Google Maps. Overall, we came to prefer the Garmin system - not because it is better than Google Maps, but because it works much better with the car and provides much more information than AA.

·
0 Posts
The best part is that the Android auto will always be updated - you will always get the latest maps and apps.

Google designed AA to act solely as a mechanism to mirror applications that run natively on your phone. No processing work is handled by the head unit itself, and Google has committed to permanently making AA a component of every Android release after v5.0. Apple has made the same pledge.

So long as Android and iOS are the predominant phone ecosystems, you will always have access to the most up-to-date software on your head unit.

No messing with DVD updates, or being stuck with proprietary apps developed by your auto manufacturer (which will inevitably die and lose support over the years).

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
When I upgraded my system I looked at AA. IF your live on your phone you might like it but I don't so I opted for a kenwood what had pandora, I heart radio and oa few other apps integrated and they work well. (you can control Pandora from the screen or the phone)

I still prefer a standalone Garmin for nav. I have used waze, displayed on the system via HDMI but Waze has had some inaccuracies on roads I've traveled.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Using a bigger screen to display Pandora is a big part of it for me. But I, like many people, depend on my phone for information about where to go (websearch of a business/destination), which can be easily thrown into Google Maps for use as navigation. I have a factory Nav system that uses Garmin's interface in my current car and its slow to find point of interest. I have to input an address I find on my phone. And the traffic information is quite a bit behind Google Maps and only provides highway traffic information so drive times that include significant amounts of local roads or if there is a lot of traffic on them, tend to end up with terrible arrival estimates and/or does a poor job providing the quickest route. Lastly, map updates become obsolete by sticking to web based map information.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,589 Posts
When I upgraded my system I looked at AA. IF your live on your phone you might like it but I don't so I opted for a kenwood what had pandora, I heart radio and oa few other apps integrated and they work well. (you can control Pandora from the screen or the phone)

I still prefer a standalone Garmin for nav. I have used waze, displayed on the system via HDMI but Waze has had some inaccuracies on roads I've traveled.
I have older vehicles so no AA or CP for me (yet). I never thought I'd give up my stand-alone Garmin, but when I discovered Waze, it was simply a matter of time.

In my area, my (lifetime) updated maps took months if not years to show 311 bypass completed. Waze showed it as soon as it was done. When I used the Garmin, it showed me out in never-never land when I traveled the completed 311BP. I was amazed how long it took Garmin (NavTeq) to get that corrected.

Waze is not perfect by any means... I also use Google Maps too... but Waze has become my preferred nav app and I don't remember where I stashed my Garmin nav unit. ;)

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Users can update waze maps. A lot of people don't know this.I think this is how some if it gets updated faster.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,589 Posts
Absolutely. I've not yet delved into updating the maps myself, but that is indeed why Waze maps are very accurate.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Posted on the CarPlay thread prior to seeing this. Below is how I'm using it and for me it's better/more convenient than the Honda Nav, call/text options. Using a Nexus 6P.

My preferred driving situation for now is to connect AA, use Google Maps through AA and do any calls/texts through AA. If I want to listen to SXM or FM, I use the source button on the steering wheel to change the source. Still reads the Google Maps Voice Nav, calls, texts from AA through speakers. I find better voice recognition through AA especially when setting up nav and calling/texting.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I think this is a bug, albeit not much of an issue for me (don't use them at the same time anyway) but when I have Android Auto running and I then activate truck bed audio, the smartphone connection drops. If I then disable truck bed audio, unplug and replug the phone, AA comes back. Anyone else see this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts