Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all,

Just picked up a 2007 Ridgeline RT (see my intro thread for more details) and was looking under the hood and saw this valve attached to the upper middle of the firewall that has nothing attached to one of the fittings. Can anybody tell me what it is and what it attaches to? If it's something simple I'd like to keep from taking it back to the dealer.

Thanks, Bruce

Moderator's note: I added diagrams of the transmission, transfer assembly, and rear diff breathers. The transmission breather is located under the engine cover. The others should be self evident.

I also added the answer to the question in the title.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Re: What is this?

That is the Transfer Breather Tube Box, and it should only have one tube attached at the lower rear fitting. Service manual Page 5-3 and 14-235. :cool:

Looks like you're good to go - no problem. Great picture though! Made it easy to know what you were talking about!

Reactions: bigbluesd

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: What is this?

Wow, thanks for the quick, helpful reply!

You do get around, don't you VoicesInMyHead??? :D

Thanks again, Bruce

·
Registered
315 Posts
Re: Anybody know what this is?

That is the breather for the transmission and no, it is supposed to vent to the atmosphere like that. There is another breather just like this one that is buried above the left side fenderwell behind the bed panel that vents the rear diff.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts

yup, That one's specifically for the transfer case

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,267 Posts

Very good TRacer!

Technically, that is the transfer breather. And yes, that port is supposed to be open.

Edit: I see Elkhunter beat me to the punch while I was composing my post!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts

:act035::act035::act035::act035::act035::act035:

faster with no diagrams :homer:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok - what is this thing and is it missing a hose?

I have a 2006 RL I got used a few months ago, after changing the oil this evening I was checking around under the hood and noticed this black box on
the firewall with one tube (that looked like a vacuum line) hooked to it and one open port....? The tube that is hooked to it goes down behind the engine and I couldn't see what it hooks to down there - and I didn't have time to put the truck back on the ramps, crawl under and look around.

Is this normal? I couldn't find any hoses that laying around un hooked ... or any other open ports....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Re: Ok - what is this thing and is it missing a hose?

Yes, it's a breather for the transfer case or the transmission, I forget which. There for when you're fording mighty rivers.

KeS

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Re: Ok - what is this thing and is it missing a hose?

Yep, that is normal, no hose needed.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
What's this part, Engine Bay Question, Missing vac line?

Changed the air filter in the Ridge today and saw a black box up by the cowl with a vacuum line going in and what appears to be one missing. I don't feel any suction from it when the engine is running. Do I have a vac leak or is this supposed to be open?

I couldn't see any disconnected hoses anywhere in the engine bay.

Sorry for the muddy engine bay. I've driven through a few puddles with this thing off-road. :)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Re: What's this part?

That's one of those thing a ma boggs. Actually I have one too and it looks just like that but cleaner.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts

Breather for the transmission.

There's another one like it under the truck, and it's the breather for the differential.

Chip H.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Good to know! Thanks!

Nice to see Honda raises the breathers up stock. I know a lot of Jeep guys have to do it themselves.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,267 Posts

Technically, it's the breather for the transfer assembly.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
re: What's this part, Engine Bay Question, Missing vac line? (transfer assembly breather)

Yay Halifax! Im from Halifax!

1 - 20 of 120 Posts