Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for merging posts and pointing this out. Looks to be an issue a lot of people have. On mine, the curved hose goes to a clip, and ends there. Is that also normal?

I posted a photo on this very recently for the same reason. And got a similar smart-alecky response. So, to those I would pose this question: If I didn't know what the part, or what the purpose of it is, how would I know where to look for it.

Seriously, this (and many other auto clubs) make the newcomers feel... well, not so welcome. It makes people that join the forums not want to ask questions in the first place.

I would say if this question has been asked that many times, instead of chastising the one asking, it might be an issue of organization - or lack thereof.

·
Super Moderator
6,753 Posts
re: What's this part, Engine Bay Question, Missing vac line? (transfer assembly breather)

2006 Honda Ridgeline RT here. Been doing some under-the-hood maintenance, and noticed this thing (see bright circle in pic). While this is what I'm trying to identify, this is not my engine pic. One of the hoses is missing/cut on mine, and I can't seem to figure out where it goes.

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I've looked through threads to the best of my ability, having no idea what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance.
Apologies Accepted, and Answered Below

It has been talked about many times over here and at the MDX online forum.

The box you are looking at is a breather box for the center transfer case (I believe). You will also see one underneath your air intake tube......... its a curved rubber hose and it should be for the transmission. There is one for the rear diff, but it is behind the bed panel. They do not connect to anything else, so do not be alarmed.
Thanks for the Assist @smufguy

Thanks for merging posts and pointing this out. Looks to be an issue a lot of people have. On mine, the curved hose goes to a clip, and ends there. Is that also normal?
Without a picture, I'm unsure, "Exactly" what part your referring to, but I believe that @smufguy answered breather locations above for all systems which have non traditional breather/pressure relief systems, I've Colored the text above as RED=Transmission, VTM-4=DarkGreen, and the Primary Discussion of this thread Transfer Case=Blue

I posted a photo on this very recently for the same reason. And got a similar smart-alecky response. So, to those I would pose this question: If I didn't know what the part, or what the purpose of it is, how would I know where to look for it.

Seriously, this (and many other auto clubs) make the newcomers feel... well, not so welcome. It makes people that join the forums not want to ask questions in the first place.

I would say if this question has been asked that many times, instead of chastising the one asking, it might be an issue of organization - or lack thereof.
I guess I don't see it that way, maybe this occurred in another thread, IMHO @smufguy was quite reasonable. I hadn't yet sent you anything, all I did was relocate it to the thread which has dozens of this question asked, and you went back several months and thanked me this morning. Unfortunately the Internet can be a "Brutal" place and at times I've been on the receiving end, so I understand. Trust me go back and see some of my posts from 2005, and some of the replies I've received. I probably went 5+ years without posting a comment, just reading and researching.

Good Luck, @Shawn Waldrop :grin:

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
re: What's this part, Engine Bay Question, Missing vac line? (transfer assembly breather)

I have preached this many times and here is the golden rule. If you have something to ask, it is always best to search it first since there is a 98% chance someone has already asked. Search it on google or search it here, it does not matter. I guarantee you that you will find your answer in a couple of clicks.
Case in point; search for "black vacuum box under hood, honda ridgeline"in Google and the first link you get is to this (https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/71-1g-problems-issues/53025-what-s-part-engine-bay-question-missing-vac-line-5.html) thread. another click and you have your answer to the question you asked.

If you had a question about bleeding brakes, the traditional way (furthest to the closest) vs what the shop manual says to do (totally different), then I would commend you for it.

Again, this is not just you and don't take things too personally.............. unless this is your first time on the internet. It is hard to gather sarcasm from someone you have never met and it is in written form.

My advise; search search search and read through threads. If you need a shop manual to look through stuff and educate yourself, let me know and I will gladly point you in the direction of it. Yes, it is free.

·
Registered
6 Posts

They could have made it look different.........I looked forever trying to find the hose that came off of it when I bought my truck bout 5 years ago. THanks for asking the question OP!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Re: Anyone knows what this is?

Noticed the same thing in my RL the first week I had it and asked the same question. I can’t remember what they told me but I remember not being alarmed at the appearance of it missing a hose. :)
Sorry, I know that doesn’t help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
Re: vacuum body?

MODERATOR NOTE: Threads Merged Again

Update: Found at a minimum 12 other questions similar, for the same part, and merged the threads...

I'm on a Quest now ;)
You can add my name to those wondering what the apparent disconnection was. I recall seeing that the first day I looked at my Ridgeline. It is comforting to know many have the same question.

Merged threads can be a blessing to the reader. A thumbs up to the Moderators that make the effort.

I don't know if it is possible for the Mods to change a Threads Title with this site's software. Other sites I visit will add a "Merged" to the beginning of thread title. e.g. Merged: This is the Thread Title.

It helps the reader readily ID circular "Groundhog Day" links within merged threads. It also allows to ID threads that are not yet merged which could or should be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2013 RTL

I don't know why I never noticed this before but found a hose end that was not plugged into anything and a box that was missing a hose. They are too far apart to be a simple plug in, but can anyone tell me what these go to.

I know the engine bay is filthy, but I've been enjoying the Arizona back roads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
x2, that is supposed to be open to atmosphere. Strange that Honda designed it to look like a vaccum hose was meant to be there.
That is strange as the black box one looks clean on the end like a hose was plugged into it. I don’t have any issues with the truck, no warning lights, and it runs great.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a different "What's This".

It is an opaque plastic line that I placed one end on the brake fluid reservoir to take the picture. The other end goes down in the mess of tubes along the center of the firewall below the Transfer case breather that every one else has been asking about.

Any ideas? Mine is a 2008

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a different "What's This".

It is an opaque plastic line that I placed one end on the brake fluid reservoir to take the picture. The other end goes down in the mess of tubes along the center of the firewall below the Transfer case breather that every one else has been asking about.

View attachment 394652

Any ideas? Mine is a 2008
While doing some more of my maintenance setting my baseline today I followed this down. It looks like something someone did aftermarket. It is zip tied under the drivers seat then crosses over towards the rear. The other end goes up over the heat shield for the rear exhaust.

Could it be replacing something OEM?

·
Registered
158 Posts
While doing some more of my maintenance setting my baseline today I followed this down. It looks like something someone did aftermarket. It is zip tied under the drivers seat then crosses over towards the rear. The other end goes up over the heat shield for the rear exhaust.

Could it be replacing something OEM?
Mystery solved.
I reached out to the previous owner about some service history and also asked about the plastic line.
Apparently the first person that had the truck had installed an air horn. When the horn was removed they left the hose.
Whooda thunk?

101 - 116 of 116 Posts