Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sport • Radiant Red Metallic II
96 Posts
I enjoy driving those kinds of automobiles, but there's no point in my owning one because such levels of performance cannot be utilized in a prudent, safe, and legal manner on public roads. :)
The Ridgeline is my daily driver. In the 3+ years I’ve owned the C7 I’m up to 6K miles, mostly on the track where I can truly enjoy the performance.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The Ridgeline is my daily driver. In the 3+ years I’ve owned the C7 I’m up to 6K miles, mostly on the track where I can truly enjoy the performance.
Well that's the way to do it. Love the C7--my favorite Corvette of the last 40 years.

I would imagine the cost for consumables (tires, brake pads, oil, etc.) for tracking this car would be pretty steep?

I have a Miata and haven't taken it to the track (yet) but it's about as cheap a track car as you can get in terms of extra costs.

·
Registered
2021 Sport • Radiant Red Metallic II
96 Posts
Well that's the way to do it. Love the C7--my favorite Corvette of the last 40 years.

I would imagine the cost for consumables (tires, brake pads, oil, etc.) for tracking this car would be pretty steep?

I have a Miata and haven't taken it to the track (yet) but it's about as cheap a track car as you can get in terms of extra costs.
A Miata would be an ideal track car (and daily driver, too) - I've thought about the advantages of a Miata more than once. My first 2 seater was a '61 bug-eye Sprite - very underpowered, unreliable, and a maintenance nightmare but super fun on the track. Wish I still had it.

My Z51 C7 has not hit me too hard on consumables (yet). I'm still on the original tires but not for too much longer. Pads are OEM even tho I bought spare sets for the track. The Z51 has Brembos and the factory pads were intended for track use anyway plus I might not be as hard on pads as some drivers. I do change brake fluid each session - DIY is not terribly expensive. I have the dry sump engine so oil changes are 10 qts. of Mobil 1 (big ouch) - but the new formulation is for street & track use so I only need one oil change per year - very doable. Big track expense is fuel - on road trips I regularly get 28-30 mpg at 75 mph. On the track I'm lucky to get 5 mpg and filling up at the track is, well, a bit exhorbitant.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Last summer - 2 days of HPDE at VIR. When given the choice I use my age for my car number (Paul Newman was my hero - his last number was 83, I think)
Here's a LINK to several photos + a video clip taken at the Owner's School in Spring Mountain, Nevada.

The reality is I probably don't have many years left to enjoy this type of driving but I intend to enjoy it to the max for as long as possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I already own mine, 1977 VW westy. I would do a proper upgrade and refurbishment, Subaru engine swap, functional heat and AC, electrical upgrades, LSD, etc.

I’m talking to a shop out west who would do these things. I’m guessing it’d be 15-20K all in but I really have no idea yet.

In theory a type 3 vanagon synchro would be better but this vehicle has been in my family since 1977 and I ain’t getting rid of it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.

·
Registered
702 Posts
A Miata would be an ideal track car (and daily driver, too) - I've thought about the advantages of a Miata more than once. My first 2 seater was a '61 bug-eye Sprite - very underpowered, unreliable, and a maintenance nightmare but super fun on the track. Wish I still had it.

My Z51 C7 has not hit me too hard on consumables (yet). I'm still on the original tires but not for too much longer. Pads are OEM even tho I bought spare sets for the track. The Z51 has Brembos and the factory pads were intended for track use anyway plus I might not be as hard on pads as some drivers. I do change brake fluid each session - DIY is not terribly expensive. I have the dry sump engine so oil changes are 10 qts. of Mobil 1 (big ouch) - but the new formulation is for street & track use so I only need one oil change per year - very doable. Big track expense is fuel - on road trips I regularly get 28-30 mpg at 75 mph. On the track I'm lucky to get 5 mpg and filling up at the track is, well, a bit exhorbitant.
View attachment 428021
Last summer - 2 days of HPDE at VIR. When given the choice I use my age for my car number (Paul Newman was my hero - his last number was 83, I think)
Here's a LINK to several photos + a video clip taken at the Owner's School in Spring Mountain, Nevada.

The reality is I probably don't have many years left to enjoy this type of driving but I intend to enjoy it to the max for as long as possible.
Beautiful!

Yes that is kinda a dream car for me.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
20 Posts
1995 Acura NSX Targa top with the flip up lights.
It’s on the way. Rivian R1T. I will trade in my 2018 RTL-E and get a great offer with only 45K miles. I’ve loved my Ridgeline and if Honda wasn’t so conservative and had come out
with a hybrid Ridgeline, I would’ve bought one. Sorry Honda, I’ll be leaving soon.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car

·
Registered
702 Posts
My first bought and paid for car View attachment 428040
Beauty!

I wouldn't mind a 2002 or a modern M car as a dream car.

Were you stationed in Germany BTW? I think there was a Blackhawk squadron at Landstuhl, where I was stationed '95-98?

When I went over there I was obsessed with BMWs to the point of buying a book on BMW history. However, funds were tight, with a wife and 4 kids, so I had to "settle" for an '86 Audi 80, which cost me about $3500. Great car, and I sold it for what I paid for it 3 years later. Still one of my more fun cars to drive ever, though it was only a 1.8L. I did eventually get 2 BMWs, an '03 Z4 3.0 and an '11 X3 35i, either of which could have been considered a dream car at the time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Beauty!

I wouldn't mind a 2002 or a modern M car as a dream car.

Were you stationed in Germany BTW? I think there was a Blackhawk squadron at Landstuhl, where I was stationed '95-98?

When I went over there I was obsessed with BMWs to the point of buying a book on BMW history. However, funds were tight, with a wife and 4 kids, so I had to "settle" for an '86 Audi 80, which cost me about $3500. Great car, and I sold it for what I paid for it 3 years later. Still one of my more fun cars to drive ever, though it was only a 1.8L. I did eventually get 2 BMWs, an '03 Z4 3.0 and an '11 X3 35i, either of which could have been considered a dream car at the time.
Was assigned to SETAF in Vicenza Italy 95-98. Took my 320i with me as a second car. Sold it to a soldier before I left. Regret that decision.

·
Registered
29 Posts
X,Y,Z mid sized wagon or small pickup with a 4 cyl diesel engine- with a manual option, if it's not too much to ask. My 05 Passat TDI wagon soldiers on at 325k and it's still a joy to drive locally. Every mile on the Passat going forward extends the life of our 20 RL. Just hope that ICE remains an affordable transportation option into the future.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts