Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've finally exhausted my stock of A01 filters. I have an A02 left my neighbor gave me years ago after cleaning out his garage. I'll use that A02 on my beater Civic next oil change. But I need to find a new happy ground since my A01 filter supply is depleted and the A01 satisfied my OCD.
Edit: and A01 filters are no longer available that I can find.

Purolator PL14610?
Wix 57356/NAPA 7356?
Fram XG PH7317?
Mahle OC 707?
Bosch 3323?
Other?

I know nothing about the latest OEM Honda oil filter.

Reactions: bulwnkl

·
Super Moderator
22,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2006 RTS Billet Silver
41 Posts
I've finally exhausted my stock of A01 filters. I have an A02 left my neighbor gave me years ago after cleaning out his garage. I'll use that A02 on my beater Civic next oil change. But I need to find a new happy ground since my A01 filter supply is depleted and the A01 satisfied my OCD.

Purolator PL14610?
Wix 57356/NAPA 7356?
Fram XG PH7317?
Mahle OC 707?
Bosch 3323?
Other?

I am using the Wix 57356. I am going to try the Wix 57356XP next. It’s $2 more on Amazon.

-ERC

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
524 Posts
For the past few years I've been using only OEM oil filters (as well as all other parts) on my vehicles: AC Delco, Honda, etc. I know that the A01 is said to be better than the A02, but we're pushing 300k miles on some of our Hondas, and prior to my taking over the maintenance, all of the our vehicles were running cheap Pro-Tech filters from the shop I used to work at. If you use a well-known, name brand filter, a good quality oil, and at minimum you follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule. Your vehicle's engine will make it 200k easily. If it’s like our GM vehicles, the engines will last well over 200k mile, but everything bolted to it will require replacement…sometimes twice lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,374 Posts
I had an option, but found out they were Honda clones.

·
Premium Member
2011 VP Bali Blue Pearl
270 Posts
I went with the NAPA Platinum #PFL 47356. According to the folks on the Jeep forum, and Bob's The Oil Guy these are a WIX made unit and one of the best out there.
The only other consensus that I found is stay away from Fram.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I used the Napa Platinum....Leaked all over ………..replaced with a OE Honda Unit. Yes it was plenty tight.

The Napa unit had a square O-ring where the Honda unit has a non-square seal.

·
Super Moderator
22,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the past few years I've been using only OEM oil filters (as well as all other parts) on my vehicles: AC Delco, Honda, etc. I know that the A01 is said to be better than the A02, but we're pushing 300k miles on some of our Hondas, and prior to my taking over the maintenance, all of the our vehicles were running cheap Pro-Tech filters from the shop I used to work at. If you use a well-known, name brand filter, a good quality oil, and at minimum you follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule. Your vehicle's engine will make it 200k easily. If it’s like our GM vehicles, the engines will last well over 200k mile, but everything bolted to it will require replacement…sometimes twice lol.
True enough. And I could use regular dino oil too, but for my own personal preferences, I prefer a higher quality oil and filter. But your point has been well made here by a number of members who drive many reliable miles with dealer maintenance and parts/fluids. ChisoxJim comes to mind in particular.

Theres many opinions out there based from personal experience with a certain filter or may even have a vested interest in a filter. However, this is not an opinion nor personal interest, the A02 now supersedes the A01 and it's OEM 👍
A02 officially replaced the A01 many years ago to the best of my recollection. I dislike the A02 because of the construction, although I'm sure they filter well... or well enough.

I went with the NAPA Platinum #PFL 47356. According to the folks on the Jeep forum, and Bob's The Oil Guy these are a WIX made unit and one of the best out there.
The only other consensus that I found is stay away from Fram.
Yes. If you note, the NAPA silver/gold filters differ from the WIX filters by the leading digit. WIX is a 5 digit part number and NAPA is a 4 digit number and is identical to the WIX p/n for the last 4 digits.

·
Registered
2006 RTS Billet Silver
41 Posts
Has anybody tried/considered the Denso 150-2006? I’ve been using the Denso made OEM Toyota filters on the 4Runners and have good luck with them using synthetic oil.

·
Administrator
16,354 Posts

15400-PLM-A02 (Honeywell Fram) - Good
15400-RTA-003 (Mahle Tennex) - Better
15400-PLM-A01 (Filtech Toyo Roki) - Best

Note that these ratings are based on a visual evaluation of the constructions materials, number of pleats, etc. with the assumption that metal > cardboard, more pleats = better filtration, etc. They don't necessarily reflect how adequately the filter does it job.

I always purchased the A01 while it was still available, but wouldn't object to an 003 or A02 - I don't see any point in wearing a cartridge-style respirator just to keep dust out of my nose while mowing the yard when an N95 mask is more than adequate. I do, however, prefer to wear a cartridge-style respirator when I go to Walmart lately. :)

I have plenty! Stocked up while they were still available... :)
Bragger! ;)

(I have some, too, and no Hondas to use them in. My brother-in-law and a couple of friends drive Hondas, but none of them have a clue how to change their own oil.)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If high filtration efficiency is your primary desire, the Fram Ultra is the best of those who will share filtration efficiency. I generally run a ToughGard or an Ultra on my vehicles, but sometimes I have an OEM or other on one.

Toyota’s oil filters are the lowest filtration efficiency of any oil filter I’ve ever seen data on, and while Honda’s are better than that, they’re still low efficiency filters as compared to most all name-brand aftermarket filters. There’s a nonsense counter-argument out there which speculates that these filters are low efficiency because they want to maximize oil flow. That is a false premise because the oil pumps on our J35s are positive displacement pumps. All oil filters yield full oil pump flow all the time because they can’t do otherwise. Too, common oil filters for our engines don’t bypass after warm-up, and most don’t even bypass then except for a brief time when it’s quite cold.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I use the Wix 57356 mainly because it's available on the Amsoil site. It's the cheaper of the choices. Our truck sees light use and limited miles. I used the same for over 80K miles on the 08 too.

·
Super Moderator
22,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for that info Zrog. Just curious where the filter info came from?

·
Super Moderator
22,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If high filtration efficiency is your primary desire, the Fram Ultra is the best of those who will share filtration efficiency. I generally run a ToughGard or an Ultra on my vehicles, but sometimes I have an OEM or other on one.

Toyota’s oil filters are the lowest filtration efficiency of any oil filter I’ve ever seen data on, and while Honda’s are better than that, they’re still low efficiency filters as compared to most all name-brand aftermarket filters. There’s a nonsense counter-argument out there which speculates that these filters are low efficiency because they want to maximize oil flow. That is a false premise because the oil pumps on our J35s are positive displacement pumps. All oil filters yield full oil pump flow all the time because they can’t do otherwise. Too, common oil filters for our engines don’t bypass after warm-up, and most don’t even bypass then except for a brief time when it’s quite cold.
Good info. I'll look into them.

I use the Wix 57356 mainly because it's available on the Amsoil site. It's the cheaper of the choices. Our truck sees light use and limited miles. I used the same for over 80K miles on the 08 too.
I used to use WIX on my vehicles and got away from them for reasons that I can't remember now. Might have been simply being able to get the A01 filters.

·
Super Moderator
22,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On a related note, do oil filters have shelf lives? The A02 I have in stock is years old. Not really sure how old it is. It's still in the cellophane wrap.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
They do, but ‘years old’ isn’t really outside that lifespan. (-:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts