Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
LOL. So what kind of time frame are we talking about here? Decades?

Edit: from BITOG, looks like 7 years is considered stale from Fram.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
I used the Napa Platinum....Leaked all over ………..replaced with a OE Honda Unit. Yes it was plenty tight.

The Napa unit had a square O-ring where the Honda unit has a non-square seal.
The same thing happened when I used a Napa platinum filter on our 1998 Camry.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I bought one of the "multi packs" from Bernardi, unaware they were A0-2s. Being on the cheap side, I couldn't bear to let them go unused. I alternated them with A0-1s. That was 5-6 years ago. I'm currently at 340k +, and mostly using Mobile 1 high mileage 5W-20 and Mobil 1 filters. I have used a higher grade STP and Fram that I caught on sale.

·
Registered
579 Posts
15400-PLM-A02 (Honeywell Fram) - Good
15400-RTA-003 (Mahle Tennex) - Better
15400-PLM-A01 (Filtech Toyo Roki) - Best

Note that these ratings are based on a visual evaluation of the constructions materials, number of pleats, etc. with the assumption that metal > cardboard, more pleats = better filtration, etc. They don't necessarily reflect how adequately the filter does it job.

I always purchased the A01 while it was still available, but wouldn't object to an 003 or A02 - I don't see any point in wearing a cartridge-style respirator just to keep dust out of my nose while mowing the yard when an N95 mask is more than adequate. I do, however, prefer to wear a cartridge-style respirator when I go to Walmart lately. :)

Bragger! ;)

(I have some, too, and no Hondas to use them in. My brother-in-law and a couple of friends drive Hondas, but none of them have a clue how to change their own oil.)
Looks like you need to open an auction on eBay for those A01’s. 😂

·
Registered
938 Posts
Over the last ten years of RL ( only Hondas I have ever had) DIY maintenance I think the Mobil one filters from an outside look seem the most robust.
But I recently picked up 25 A-02's on craigslist for 3$ a filter. So I have been doing the feet dry 50% oci with a bunch of dino oil I have. Now I will change the filter too.
I am a BITOG er!

·
Registered
195 Posts
In March of last year, I was fortunate enough to find a 10 pack of A01 filters on ebay for $45. With as few miles as we put on the RL and Ody lately, these will probably last 5 years.

Once these are done, I will most likely move to the A03's. Never had an issue with a Mahle filter in the past, they are an OEM to VW.

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
Back in 1986, one of my brother's best friends worked at an auto parts store - I used to hang out there and shoot the schitt with him a lot. I remember asking him about the best oil filter back then, and he recommended Wix.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
LOL. So what kind of time frame are we talking about here? Decades?

Edit: from BITOG, looks like 7 years is considered stale from Fram.
(-:
You likely know that Motorking was a Fram employee. He was very forthcoming with lots of good tech info about their filters.

I’d personally feel fine using a Fram Ultra that was 5-10 years old. An orange can of that age would also be okay with me, I just don’t use them. I would be more concerned with shelf aging of cellulose-based media than pure synthetic media. One nice thing about OEM filters (at least the Mazda and Honda ones I’ve used) is that they have plastic covering the open end of the filters, or the entire filter.

EDIT: Wix makes good filters. They’re middle of the road at best when it comes to actual filtration, but they’re generally well-built. Interestingly, their XP filters have lower filtration efficiency than their ‘normal’ filters.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E Rear-door mod, LED fog-lamps, bed cover, LED back up lights, LED full interior bulbs.
38 Posts
K & N filters is what I use...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I used the S2000 filter, larger size.

IDC what anyone says about "pressure drop"

I've never had an oiling issue, including when I ran it on my 350WHP turbo D-series.

·
Registered
2006 RTS Billet Silver
41 Posts
Does the 15400-PCX-004 filter increase or decrease oil pressure? Post #33 states pressure drop while post #34 shows a graphic that says it increases pressure. Would it prematurely wear seals due to increased oil pressure?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Does the 15400-PCX-004 filter increase or decrease oil pressure?
Neither.

The oil filter receives full flow from the oil pump, which is a positive displacement pump. IF (and this rarely happens other than at cold start as engine RPMs increase, for a brief time) the filter itself goes into bypass, the full flow of the pump still goes through the filter and into the engine. It’s just that some of the flow bypasses the filter element.

So, engine oil flow and pressure both are unaffected by the full-flow oil filter.

Reactions: speedlever

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,194 Posts
I use any the following, depending on what the price is like. I have not used Puralator in a while as it is expensive and so is the Wix, Mobile1 is not that bad, but does not make or break the bank.
I have a stock of K&N and Bosh in my garage and I buy 5 to 10 at a time as both the van and the G1 use the same filter.

K&N PS-1010 Pro
Bosch 3323 Premium
PurolatorONE PL14610
Mobil 1 M1-110
Wix 57356XP

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
176 Posts
I was told by my parts guy that when he orders oil filters he asks for the A01, but Honda Parts sends either the A01 or A02. In other words, he doesn't get to choose

My other prefered choices are Bosch, Mobil 1, Purolator Pure One, & Wix.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts