Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
I was told by my parts guy that when he orders oil filters he asks for the A01, but Honda Parts sends either the A01 or A02. In other words, he doesn't get to choose

My other prefered choices are Bosch, Mobil 1, Purolator Pure One, & Wix.
He's a bit behind on his information. The A01 filters are discontinued and haven't been in Honda warehouses for over two years.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
176 Posts
Okay. They must still have some in stock, as I picked one up two months ago. But then again they save "Special" parts for us. Like O.E H-4 bulbs. Far better quality.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went with the NAPA Platinum #PFL 47356. According to the folks on the Jeep forum, and Bob's The Oil Guy these are a WIX made unit and one of the best out there.
The only other consensus that I found is stay away from Fram.
Why stay away from Fram?? That's what I've been using. Tell me more please!

·
Premium Member
2011 VP Bali Blue Pearl
269 Posts
I'm on the Jeep forum as well as this one. Those folks have opened the Fram and found poor construction and filtration. I also believe that "Bob's The Oil Guy" website concurs.

·
Super Moderator
1,638 Posts
That Fram thing has been going on since i was almost born. Truth is Fram is fine for the small amount of time it's actually in there. Yeah sure if you follow Honda's oil change guidelines it'd be on there for 20,000 mi. That's a long time for any filter let alone trust a Fram or any aftermarket ones. But, if you are like most people you'll leave it on for 5k miles. It'll be fine for that.

I used to joke with people who'd say this or that car was junk brand new. One of my comments always was "how long do you own a car for" Most would say 50k or 75k miles. lol I'd say well, don't you actually think that car will last that long ? And at the end of 50 or 75k miles it's still worth something ? No one could respond. Sure, junk but you still expect some value in it at the end of the miles.

Steve

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I'm on the Jeep forum as well as this one. Those folks have opened the Fram and found poor construction and filtration. I also believe that "Bob's The Oil Guy" website concurs.
What does “poor construction” mean? How did they test filtration? Filtration efficiency data via SAE standardized testing shows Fram Ultra is the best-filtering option available. They’re also well built. Maybe you’ve seen informal pictures of orange can Frams?

·
Premium Member
2011 VP Bali Blue Pearl
269 Posts
O.K. my personal preference is to not use Fram.
I'm not going to try and defend what I believe about oil filters, it's not that big a deal to me. Feel free to do you're own research. :D

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,194 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Since my A01 stock ran out, I use the K&N PS-1010 (the black filter) or the WIX 57356XP. The K&N is made by Champion Labs and is very stout with a great filter element for full synthetics.

They far exceed the A02 OEMs and are usually $7-8 or so via Amazon or eBay. I like the WIX XP as well and usually add them to a Rock Auto order I'm doing.

A third smokin' deal filter (when available from Rock Auto) is the Champ PH2867XL. Another Champion Labs products very similar to the K&N. The bonus is $3.31 ea. Of course, only makes sense with freight if you have other parts you need at RA. A full syn filter only and also super well built. Actually just put my last one on my son's 2017 CR-V.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I see the K&N PS-1010 on Amazon for $5.33 each. I think I'll order a bunch of them since they will fit the 99 Civic, 06 Pilot, and the 08 Ridgeline.

I don't know why Amazon doesn't think it fits the '99 Civic. Any filter that fits the Pilot and Ridgeline fits the Civic too.

Reactions: bulwnkl

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
I used to use the A01 on my 2003 Valkyrie, 2006 Element, and 2010 Fit. I still have two left but my dealer said they had no problem using owner-supplied filters & lubricants so they will be going into the Ridgeline for the next two oil changes.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The Fram Ultra is my go to choice here. XG7713.

The ultra is a superb spin on canister having better build quality and far better specs than any of the Honda "A" series regardless of who makes them.

The ultra efficiency 99%+ @ 20 microns based on the 4548-12 test.

It has a full metal endcaps ,dual layer of wire backed media, and a silicon ADBV.

Its interesting to note that no manufacturer rates their filters to 20K that are built like the Honda AO series using fibre end caps with no wire backing on the filter media.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I see the K&N PS-1010 on Amazon for $5.33 each. I think I'll order a bunch of them since they will fit the 99 Civic, 06 Pilot, and the 08 Ridgeline.

I don't know why Amazon doesn't think it fits the '99 Civic. Any filter that fits the Pilot and Ridgeline fits the Civic too.
A lot of the cross ref info on Amazon and eBay is completely incorrect. I never trust it unless I know for a fact it is correct. Essentially, almost all Hondas other than the S2000 have used the same filter since the late 1990s. OEM or not, the A02 is more or less an orange Fram which is the lowest common denominator filter. Surprised Honda is still using it. Most other mfrs OEM filters are at least midrange products.

I had several VW and Audi products as well and their OEM filters where top grade Mann or Mahle products. The OEM filters for KIA and Hyundai are stout well made Korean filters. Since Hondas all use 0W-20 which is only a synthetic and a thinner oil, I like to use a filter designed for full synthetic oils.

·
Registered
419 Posts
A lot of the cross ref info on Amazon and eBay is completely incorrect. I never trust it unless I know for a fact it is correct. Essentially, almost all Hondas other than the S2000 have used the same filter since the late 1990s. OEM or not, the A02 is more or less an orange Fram which is the lowest common denominator filter. Surprised Honda is still using it. Most other mfrs OEM filters are at least midrange products.

I had several VW and Audi products as well and their OEM filters where top grade Mann or Mahle products. The OEM filters for KIA and Hyundai are stout well made Korean filters. Since Hondas all use 0W-20 which is only a synthetic and a thinner oil, I like to use a filter designed for full synthetic oils.
the A02 is both worse and better than its close Fram relative and kind of between a tough guard and an extra guard.

Its worse in that its media actually filters worse than every other Fram made Its something like 50% @ 20 microns, a FAR cry from the rest of line up vs 99% for the Ultra and high 90's for the rest.

Its the same in terms of bonded fibre endcaps (ultra uses metal)

Its better in that its filter media uses a metal seam clamp vs sewn or glued/

Its can is thicker than most Fram models which is of marginal benefit if exposed (its not on a ridgeline) and negative benefit if fitting a magnet.

·
Super Moderator
22,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I find it interesting that the oil filter for the S2000 also fits other Honda models... like the Ridgeline and Pilot, etc.

·
Super Moderator
22,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
The Fram Ultra is my go to choice here. XG7713.

The ultra is a superb spin on canister having better build quality and far better specs than any of the Honda "A" series regardless of who makes them.

The ultra efficiency 99%+ @ 20 microns based on the 4548-12 test.

It has a full metal endcaps ,dual layer of wire backed media, and a silicon ADBV.

Its interesting to note that no manufacturer rates their filters to 20K that are built like the Honda AO series using fibre end caps with no wire backing on the filter media.
I don't get any hits on Fram Ultra XG7713. If I just plug in XG7713 into the Amazon search window, I get K&N results. Is that the correct part number? No luck with Google search either.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts