Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Forum,

About to purchase tires for my 2008 RTL. Since my wheels required repair to resolve the clearcoat peeling I thought an upgrade was in order. I just picked up a set of factory 18's from a 2014 RTL. I was cross referencing the TPMS Sensor between the two wheels and noticed a different part number. 06421-S3V-A04 for the 2008 and 42753-SJH-A53 for the 2014. If I choose the newer TPMS sensor compatible with the 18s will the truck pickup the new sensors?

Also curious how the MPH is effected going from 17s to 18s. Should something be reprogrammed?

Thanks
GJ

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,430 Posts
Some on the ROC have stated that they believe the 2009-2014 TPMS receivers in each wheel well are not able to pickup the 2006-2008 TPMS wheel sensors. I don't know if that is true or not; hopefully others with more experience on this subject can answer that question for you.

As for your second question, Honda sold the 18 inch rims with a slightly shallower sidewall tire than the 17s which helps compensate for the increase rim diameter making the overall speed difference negligible. Also note that the computer in the Ridgeline is sealed and cannot be reprogrammed/calibrated, so if you want an accurate speedometer, keep the overall diameter of your wheel and tire combination within OEM specifications.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,098 Posts
The A04 fits the steel wheels ('06-'14) and only the alloy wheels for G1 model years '06-'08
The A53 fits both steel and Alloy wheels, but only the model years ''09-'14 .

So technically, if you are looking at just fitment, A04 fits all steel wheels and the A53 only fits the '09+ steel wheels. However, the steel wheel for the G1 never changed over the course of the model years. Which means the sensors should be interchangeable.
For example, my '10 RT OEM steel wheel and factory sensors were installed on a '06 (@mnowaczyk ) with no issues. The receivers on the '06 picked up my '09 sensors with no issues.

The speed difference is what McChizzle mentioned. Keep the overall tire diameter the same.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So to sum it up...will a 2008 RTL detect the A53 sensor required for the 18" wheel. Or is it possible to fit the A04 sensor on the 18" wheel?

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,332 Posts
Whatever you do don't put on your 12 year old TPMS sensors on your new wheel / tire combo. Assuming they are original they are way past their expected service life.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,098 Posts
Absolutely, I plan to purchase new ones, just want to make sure i get the correct ones.
You can also get the sensors from @Discount Tire . They price match and the sensors work just as OEM (I have a set on my G1 Ridgeline and a G5 Odyssey with no issues). Being a ROC member, you maybe eligible for a discount.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Throwing out a reasonable deduction based on the 2009 Ridgeline Parts book. In 2009 there were both the 17" Alloy used for the RTS (same alloy from 2008's RTL) and the 18" Alloy now used for the RTL. In 2009 the TPMS Sensor was the A53 for either 17 or 18in Alloy so the physical hole should be the same. So based on that data I should stay with A04 for my 2008 and it should fit the 2014 wheel. Any oposition to this thinking?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts