Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if others have ran accross any of these issues?
The dealer installed the side flares when my RL was new. They did not know or tell me they should not get wet 24 hours after installation as the tape may de-bond. Mine did just that as it rained the day of, thru the day after the install.
The dealer had no problem trying to fix them, so they installed new bond tape. This didnt last, so they aggreed new flares were the answer.
The new flares were installed by last friday & are bonded good, only 2 of the 4 are deformed with wavey ridges in them.
I call the dealer and he wants to throw the towel in and remove them and refund my money. I will not let that happen as they have a full factory warranty.
Just my 2 cents worth. I feel Honda should sent the mechanics better info for the things they need to do! I have found information on this web site that they have no clue about :confused:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
TheRidgester said:
The dealer installed the side flares when my RL was new. They did not know or tell me they should not get wet 24 hours after installation as the tape may de-bond. Mine did just that as it rained the day of, thru the day after the install.
The dealer had no problem trying to fix them, so they installed new bond tape. This didnt last, so they aggreed new flares were the answer.
The new flares were installed by last friday & are bonded good, only 2 of the 4 are deformed with wavey ridges in them.
I call the dealer and he wants to throw the towel in and remove them and refund my money. I will not let that happen as they have a full factory warranty.
Just my 2 cents worth. I feel Honda should sent the mechanics better info for the things they need to do! I have found information on this web site that they have no clue about :confused:
Not sure what to think of that. I put mine on myself 3 months ago and they are holding up great. My best guess would be they are not cleaning the paint first. You really have to wipe the paint down with isoproypl alcohol to remove all dirt and wax to make sure the adhesive creates a strong bond to the paint and not to any dirt or wax which will lift off eventually.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not a big fan of the flares but I wish Honda would have made some trim for the wheel wells or even a small black rubber flare

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TheRidgester said:
Honda Found a solution to the deformed wheel flares :rolleyes:
They say it is a 3rd party vendor that is making these for them and have had way to many problems with them. If you choose to get the flares, I would recommend you be prepared to fully inspect them before you leave the dealer!
The area rep agreed that mine are bad, but found that many flares have issues ie: contours not matched, colors off tone, deformed or wavy ridges.
They decided to fully refund my money.
Normally I would not accept that for an answer, but I have had 3 service visits for this already that have cost me many hours on the phone, my time to go 1 hour each way to the dealer and a couple hundred bucks in car loaner fees. Since I have lived with them as is for 2 months right now, it just grows on you that thats the way it is & I hardly notice it any more. Sort of like the first door ding... ya dont like it, but it blends in as a norm after time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts