Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Ridgeline owner wannabe said:
I pick up my SILVER ridge on monday....We call it the EX-L with MR. It comes with built in security...do I need to get the wheel lock nuts too ?:confused:
I don't know if I needed them but I have them :D

·
Registered
529 Posts
Mine came with, without my asking for them. My dealer doesn't let a new car out without installing them. I left them on. Nice of the dealer but kinda worried me about what crime stories they may be hearing. :eek:

·
Registered
275 Posts
My dealer "threw them in" with the deal. I believe they have them at their disposal to sweeten deals. I think if you would press your dealer to throw them in, he would. That said, as swampler stated above, unless you live in or park in high crime areas they may be unnecessary. I am taking the better safe than sorry approach and will leave them on.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
I would especially if you have custom wheels! Oh Queen of the ROC!, another silver subject in our family! ;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
RidgeLI said:
Where can I buy a set of wheel locks for my Ridge?

Do you know anyone whio sells them and how much?

RidgeLI

I've got a spare set for sale. $25 plus shipping. PM me if you want 'em.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Not a very valuable add-on- how much demand is there for factory alloy wheels? They tend to be a pain to remove, having to use the special "decoder ring" supplied. And, of course, you better not lose the adapter or you could be in trouble in the event of a blowout.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Those of you who got the locking wheel lug-nuts from the dealer, please make sure they gave you the key for it. I'm not sure who all read my post, but I had mine added by the dealer and they never put the key in my truck. I had a blow-out and couldn't put on the spare because of it.

Just a friendly warning to check and make sure before you really need it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
denvrfan said:
Not a very valuable add-on- how much demand is there for factory alloy wheels? They tend to be a pain to remove, having to use the special "decoder ring" supplied. And, of course, you better not lose the adapter or you could be in trouble in the event of a blowout.
Last summer the factory alloys were stolen off of my sister-in-law's 1995 Honda Accord EX as it sat in her apartment building's parking lot, only about 25 yards from where she was sleeping. The thieves only got 3 of them before they were scared off, probably by someone coming. The fourth wheel was almost off, only 3 lug nuts holding it on and they were loose. The car was left sitting on cinder blocks.

If 10 year old, scratched up, used Honda Accord alloys are worth the trouble to steal then I have no doubt that new Ridgeline wheels are worth the trouble as well. Thieves will steal anything if you make it easy enough for them to get it. Wheel locks make it harder to steal the wheels, making your wheels and tires a much harder target than the next guy (ahem, denvrfan).

Don't forget that the tires could be the thieves' target too. My sister-in-law's car had tires that, although the cheapest we could find, were only a few months old. I put locks on my CR-V's factory steel wheels when I put expensive BFG AT/TA tires on it. I've got locks on my Ridgeline. If you don't lock your wheels, then make sure you've got insurance and save up for that deductible!

The key for the locks should always be kept where you know where it is. I keep mine in the trunk with the jack and tools, there's a nifty little cutout in the foam holder that it fits into nicely. In other vehicles I've kept the key in the glove box. Either way, losing the key isn't something I'm worried about. If you're prone to losing stuff then I suppose you'd better hang onto the paperwork for buying a replacement key, or just buy one right off the bat to better your odds.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Spare Key?

I had the wheel locks on a BroncoII. Considered the ramifications of losing the key and bought another drive for the key.

My Never Fail backup was a small pipe wrench.

Kept my lugnut socket and drive, wheel lock key and drive, breaker bar and small pipe wrench in two tube socks, one inside the other, to suppress Rattling and Bumping on desert roads.

Cholla spines are tougher than tires...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts